Poop quality on freeze-dried raw?

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using frozen raw, but lately one of my guys just doesn't seem to tolerate it as well as he used to.  Doesn't seem to be related to any certain brand or protein, and also I have tried backing off a while and SLOWLY reintroducing it. He can eat any canned, no problem. But mix a teaspoon of raw into it and he throws it up more often than not.  He also recently had a bout of diarrhea that the vet couldn't really find a cause.  Normally, raw is the only thing that keeps his poops solid, so I don't want to have to completely go off it.  I was thinking of trying freeze-dried raw (probably Stella and Chewy's) and seeing if he tolerates that any better. So, those of you who have fed freeze-dried, I was wondering if it results in the same quality poops as the frozen?

lunarnova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started my cat on Darwin's frozen, but all of a sudden we stopped eating it so I switched to Stella & Chewy's.  Moose does still poop once a day, but it is much harder than when he was on canned food.  When I had him on the canned, he would have really runny stools which stayed the same even after giving him some prescription anti diarrhea meds.  Switching him to the raw fixed it right  up.  He loves the Turkey and the Duck/Goose flavors and eats them both dry and wet.  His poo is not like some of the pics I've seen where it is really dry and crumbly, but at least it is very solid!

Hope it helps!  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I find if I feed too much Stella and Chewy's, my kids get constipated, but they prefer it dry, and therein lies the problem
.  I try not to feed too much of it, usually just a treats, or toppers, but sometimes when they are being picky, it ends up being their meal.  I would think if you rehydrate it, you would get pretty much the same quality.  Oh, but I'm not sure about Darwins...does it have a small amount of fruits and vegies in it?  S & C's does, so if so, then the poop should be similar, I would think.