Poop outside the box issue

filomali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 old cats (13 yr olds), one of them, the male, has been pooping outside the box. I also have a 13 year old female that is his litter mate, and we just adopted a 2 year old. But this problem started way before we adopted our third cat.

This has been a serious issue in our household. 2 years ago we shaved off his butt hair and this fixed the problem! He started pooping in the box again, and especially when we leave part of the box without litter, he will poop in that area. So whenever his hair grows long (in the butt area) he will start pooping outside the box and then we'll take him to the groomer to get it cut.

Last week he started pooping outside the box again even though we just shaved his hair. To give him some excuse, he had an overgrown claw that stabbed his paw pad, so maybe that was hurting him, we took him to the vet and the said paw is now healed, but he still doesn't go back in the box to poop. Yes he pees in the box, seems to have no problem with the pee.

I'm going to put an extra litter box just in case this will help. But if you have any suggestion, please, share with me. Thanks.

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should try to have at least one box per cat. Some cats really do not like sharing.