Poop outside of litter box

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has happened before, but it would only happen every now and then, and i figured she was just not getting to her box in time. Its happened with all the litter-boxes she has had....

But for the last 3 days she is leaving poop right outside her litter box, and sometimes near her box.

For the past 8 months shes been using the litter robot, which she loves as she enjoys having a clean box. She will use it do #1, and then wait 15 minutes to go in and use it again to do #2.

i take out the solids bag/add extra litter twice a week. I also throw out all the litter and clean the machine once a month, i just cleaned it on Dec 1.

I dont know why shes suddenly pooing outside so much, i havent changed the litter, or anything else, her food is also the same. i did a fecal exam for worms a few months ago, and she was fine. Shes an indoor cat only, and i have her on revolution. Since we have indoor/outdoor dogs (on frontline plus).

im giving as much info as i can to see if anyone has any idea whats going on.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your having this issue. Since her stools and all else seem to be normal, I think the first thing I'd try is adding just a regular litter pan just as a test. Many cats prefer a separate pan to poo in. Has anything else changed in her routine or in the household?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry your having this issue. Since her stools and all else seem to be normal, I think the first thing I'd try is adding just a regular litter pan just as a test. Many cats prefer a separate pan to poo in. Has anything else changed in her routine or in the household?
no everything is the same. same litter box for 8 months. a litter robot so its clean for when she does poop and when she does pee.

same litter brand, same food, and same snacks. there arent any new people or pets in the house. her litter robot is in its same place.

I just gave it a good cleaning on Dec 1. I add fresh litter twice a week, and take out the bag of clumps twice a week.

i really want to avoid having to add a regular box if its possible. i have back problems so having the litter robot has been great for her and me. She gets a clean box all day, and my back doesnt hurt having to bend down to clean her box. its not that im not willing to sacrifice for my cat, its just that i wanted to see if it could be anything else before i do that.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Is she a big girl?
She just turned 2 years old, shes an american short hair, calico cat.

Shes a big girl, shes 12 lbs. I have to help her loose weight, but its not easy. Shes a big eater and begs for food all the time. 0_0 I've cut down a lot on her snacks thankfully and only give her a couple every now and then.

EDIT: I realized something today, where her litter robot is, the floor is not leveled. So, sometimes the sensor to clean it would not trigger. Like today i checked her box, and it was green as if she had never gone in, but there was a pee clump.  I hadnt noticed this before, and i read online the machine must be on a leveled ground.

Do you think perhaps, since shes used to always having her box clean, she got upset that there was a pee clump and did poop outside? I moved the box forward and have been checking it obsessively. She hasnt had an accident and the box is working fine.

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who is a big girl and the only solution was a bigger littler box. She just thought she was actually in the litter box when she went because she would turn around to bury in her litter box only to find it outside. She just started doing it one day.The robot boxes usually have a high top to step over as well. If there's only one clump that wasn't cleaned I don't think that would be the problem but it might. If fixing the box doesn't work and placing it back in the original position doesn't work, I'd try a bigger lower open box. I actually found a doggie litter box which is very large and has the front part cut out so the cat just has to walk in.