Poop looks like it it dusted with powdered sugar. What the heck is going on?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It almost looks like tiny shreds of paper in the poop...and not at all like the litter, I think that's not the culprit...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
did your cat get into something while you weren't home? check cupboards, pantries, closets, bedrooms, bathrooms, basements, storage bins, spots you normally don't look. see if there's any pieces of things missing or shredded papers.

Is this an indoor cat or do they have access to the outdoors unsupervised?

It looks like you cat ate something and passed it in the litterbox.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat?
Does he or she have any constipation problems?
What type of food is s/he eating?

And what does your cat's poop look like normally?
Colour?
soft or hard?

Edit to add: try breaking up a piece of the poop...and look inside of it.
See if there is a lot of fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is indoor only. He is acting fine. Im going to do another search but zindont see anything out that he may have gotten to.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you feed your cat? A food that has a high calcium content can result in poop looking a bit chalky white.

Maybe your cat ingested some litter while grooming the paws? Paper pretty much dissolves when wet so I wouldn't worry about constipation or a blockage unless your cat somehow ate a large amount and is obviously not eating or using the litter box.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat?
Does he or she have any constipation problems?
What type of food is s/he eating?

And what does your cat's poop look like normally?
Colour?
soft or hard?

Edit to add: try breaking up a piece of the poop...and look inside of it.
See if there is a lot of fur.
he is about 5 years
No real consitpation where he is straining, but he always has had little rabbit poops. firm but not rocks
He eats Hills wet food for UTI
He only gets water from his wet food and the water i poor in the bowl with it
So weird, ever since he lost his big brother. he doesnt drink. Maybe he was just mimicking him?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He is indoor only. He is acting fine. Im going to do another search but zindont see anything out that he may have gotten to.
he is about 5 years
No real consitpation where he is straining, but he always has had little rabbit poops. firm but not rocks
He eats Hills wet food for UTI
He only gets water from his wet food and the water i poor in the bowl with it
So weird, ever since he lost his big brother. he doesnt drink. Maybe he was just mimicking him?
If you can find other ways for him to drink more water, then I think it would help him tremendously.
Try placing out water bowls, all over the place, and changing out the water daily...so that it's cold and fresh.

Even if you have to try different things like placing a few 'ice cubes' in water, or getting a water fountain...anything really to tempt him to drink more water.
It's good that he is eating wet food, but I think that he still needs more, for his system to process.

You'll probably have to experiment with different stainless steel bowl sizes, or ceramic, and where they are placed throughout the home, too.
(my cats prefer to drink water out of a huge 'stainless steel water/salad bowl for the dog'...instead of their own smaller bowls, either because they see the dog drinking, it's got a larger surface area, so their whiskers do not hit the sides, or just because...I have no idea.)🤔🤨

So it could be like you said, because he lost his big brother, that he was mimicking him, or depending on how long ago he lost him, some cats do grieve the loss of their cat companions.

You'll also have to be sure that his UTI has not come back, or that any inflammation from that is not affecting his bowels...but that would be something to talk with your Vet about.

I'm not sure of the ingredients in that Hill's wet food for UTI...if it's the prescription vet kind, (there seem to be so many, some for urinary health and hairball formulas)...but look into any of the ingredients...and just take note of the ones that you think may be causing him any problems. Cats can develop allergies or reactions to certain ingredients...or even sensitivities....so it's always a good idea to know the ingredients of what we are feeding our cats.

Take a look at this thread, for some more ideas: Featured - Post enema: continued issues
(Some things will not apply to your cat, at all,...but some things may be helpful.)

Also, since you've already started to keep a 'photo diary of his poop'...then continue to do so.
Take daily photos, or whenever you see him go, and Note the times, too.
At least for a week or two...and that way you will know if his poop is improving, ...or it stays the same, or needs further diagnostics.
(there are different 'cat poop charts' online...with colour photos...that may help you to 'score the fecal cat poop'...and so that you can explain, and show the 'results' to your Vet.

I hope that it's just a 'one off thing'...and that he somehow managed to get into some sort of 'non-food' items...and that it will pass...but it's really, really good that you are so observant and attentive to this...and that way...if he continues to have 'dry, and dehydrated looking poops'...you can help him, by adjusting his diet to getting more water, or getting him to a Vet for a baseline blood test...to make sure he does not have any electrolyte or mineral imbalances.
Then at least the Vet can advise, if things like pumpkin, fiber, laxative, miralax, probiotics, or even any supplements would help.

Basically, what you are now doing is really good, in keeping a record of his poops, and pee times, and what he eats and drinks.
Playing with him, too, will help, since he is young, and the added movements, will help his 'transit times'.

Good Luck..sent your way..for your sweet cat.

(Edit to add: Sometimes getting those 'delectable puree tube snacks' for cats, "squeeze ups treats for cats", or adding a bit of 'tuna water' to his own water dish...to encourage him to drink...and keep well hydrated...may entice him to drink more water.
First, though, I would rule out any medical issues with your Vet, and then try the 'entice to drink more water'...by tempting your cat with small treats near his water dish, or even 'smearing some of these type of wet mushed up treats, around his water bowl' rim.
Anything that you can think of, to get him to drink more water on his own, would help.)

Last edited:

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can find other ways for him to drink more water, then I think it would help him tremendously.
Try placing out water bowls, all over the place, and changing out the water daily...so that it's cold and fresh.

Even if you have to try different things like placing a few 'ice cubes' in water, or getting a water fountain...anything really to tempt him to drink more water.
It's good that he is eating wet food, but I think that he still needs more, for his system to process.

You'll probably have to experiment with different stainless steel bowl sizes, or ceramic, and where they are placed throughout the home, too.
(my cats prefer to drink water out of a huge 'stainless steel water/salad bowl for the dog'...instead of their own smaller bowls, either because they see the dog drinking, it's got a larger surface area, so their whiskers do not hit the sides, or just because...I have no idea.)🤔🤨

So it could be like you said, because he lost his big brother, that he was mimicking him, or depending on how long ago he lost him, some cats do grieve the loss of their cat companions.

You'll also have to be sure that his UTI has not come back, or that any inflammation from that is not affecting his bowels...but that would be something to talk with your Vet about.

I'm not sure of the ingredients in that Hill's wet food for UTI...if it's the prescription vet kind, (there seem to be so many, some for urinary health and hairball formulas)...but look into any of the ingredients...and just take note of the ones that you think may be causing him any problems. Cats can develop allergies or reactions to certain ingredients...or even sensitivities....so it's always a good idea to know the ingredients of what we are feeding our cats.

Take a look at this thread, for some more ideas: Featured - Post enema: continued issues
(Some things will not apply to your cat, at all,...but some things may be helpful.)

Also, since you've already started to keep a 'photo diary of his poop'...then continue to do so.
Take daily photos, or whenever you see him go, and Note the times, too.
At least for a week or two...and that way you will know if his poop is improving, ...or it stays the same, or needs further diagnostics.
(there are different 'cat poop charts' online...with colour photos...that may help you to 'score the fecal cat poop'...and so that you can explain, and show the 'results' to your Vet.

I hope that it's just a 'one off thing'...and that he somehow managed to get into some sort of 'non-food' items...and that it will pass...but it's really, really good that you are so observant and attentive to this...and that way...if he continues to have 'dry, and dehydrated looking poops'...you can help him, by adjusting his diet to getting more water, or getting him to a Vet for a baseline blood test...to make sure he does not have any electrolyte or mineral imbalances.
Then at least the Vet can advise, if things like pumpkin, fiber, laxative, miralax, probiotics, or even any supplements would help.

Basically, what you are now doing is really good, in keeping a record of his poops, and pee times, and what he eats and drinks.
Playing with him, too, will help, since he is young, and the added movements, will help his 'transit times'.

Good Luck..sent your way..for your sweet cat.

(Edit to add: Sometimes getting those 'delectable puree tube snacks' for cats, "squeeze ups treats for cats", or adding a bit of 'tuna water' to his own water dish...to encourage him to drink...and keep well hydrated...may entice him to drink more water.
First, though, I would rule out any medical issues with your Vet, and then try the 'entice to drink more water'...by tempting your cat with small treats near his water dish, or even 'smearing some of these type of wet mushed up treats, around his water bowl' rim.
Anything that you can think of, to get him to drink more water on his own, would help.)
Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful response. I am going to experiment with some more water flavors. He didnt go for the tuna water. I will go through one flavor at a time until he starts drinking. I tried the ice cubes and they used to entertain him but now he walks right past them. Thanks so much

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise