Poop Issues

Lukasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old part Maine Coon boy has been having these poop issues for several months now. He had some bouts of diarrhea last year and earlier this year from what i believe was drinking or playing with contaminated water after a basement flood. Metro (sometimes 2 rounds of it) seemed to clear it up. But the diarrhea would come back. He saw the vet a few times this year re. when the metro was given and bloodwork wa notmal and stool sample (quick analysis) showed no worms or whatever they are able to test for in a few minutes...
But he is still not pooping right. For several months now he will have a normal poop and then immediately after, some lighter pudding poop. He will go maybe once a day or every two days usually in the morning. He is on a urinary prescription diet so i have stuck to his usual food, both wet and dry. I dont feed him overnight, just water bowl. He does not drink alot even with a water fountain. I am trying everything i read about, the probiotics, the sacc bouarrdi, the slippery elm and pumpkin. I have even started brushing him more and giving him hairball paste in case he has ingested alot of hair. Now, For the past few days, i have eliminated all dry food and just given him his prescription diet, pumpkin and occasionally slippery elm. He is still having the good poop with the pudding poop right afterwards or within a half hour. Has anybody experienced the same thing or has ideas?? I dont have the funds to see the vet again right now and i am at wits end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lukasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old part Maine Coon boy has been having these poop issues for several months now. He had some bouts of diarrhea last year and earlier this year from what i believe was drinking or playing with contaminated water after a basement flood. Metro (sometimes 2 rounds of it) seemed to clear it up. But the diarrhea would come back. He saw the vet a few times this year re. when the metro was given and bloodwork was normal and stool sample (quick analysis) showed no worms or whatever they are able to test for in a few minutes...He is mainly an indoor cat and hasnt gone outside now for a few months.
But he is still not pooping right. For several months now he will have a normal poop and then immediately after, some lighter pudding poop. He will go maybe once a day or every two days usually in the morning. He is on a urinary prescription diet so i have stuck to his usual food, both wet and dry. I dont feed him overnight, just water bowl. He does not drink alot even with a water fountain. I am trying everything i read about, the probiotics, the sacc bouarrdi, the slippery elm and pumpkin. I have even started brushing him more and giving him hairball paste in case he has ingested alot of hair. Now, For the past few days, i have eliminated all dry food and just given him his prescription diet, pumpkin and occasionally slippery elm. He is still having the good poop with the pudding poop right afterwards or within a half hour. Has anybody experienced the same thing or has ideas?? He seems normal otherwise and is eating, playing etc. I dont have the funds to see the vet again right now and i am at wits end.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are so many things that could be causing this, that there is no way to even take a stab at guessing. First of all, you could call the vet and describe what is going on, to see if they have any suggestions. It is likely they might ask you to bring in a sample of his poop for testing - of a more thorough nature than what he had before. If so, you can ask how much that would cost just to test the poop. Likely cheaper than an actual vet visit. You can also ask them how to best accomplish getting a appropriate sample for testing.

The firmer stool first is probably because it has been sitting in the bowels for longer and the liquid in it is still being absorbed into the system. The looser stool is from the processing of food eaten more recently, and has not sat in the bowel for as long.

I know there will be other members on this site that will see your post soon, and hopefully have more suggestions/ideas for you.