Poop issues!

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 little issues, my skinny mini boy Jinx has come off all his meds for corona virus and has been doing (im not kidding) HUMAN SIZED POOPS! is that normal??? He seems fine but the poops are tripple the size of the other cat poops, very thick (sorry)!

Also I have a short haired fluff pot, Bella, who always seems to get poop on her fur after going! Not even my long haired kitteh is that bad! She will NOT let me near that end! Anyone have any good tips on washing that area? Its bad enough when i was her sunscreen off her head!! But I can hold her scruff. I still have to smoochies her after because she gets very sad if she is man handled or wet...so the double whammy is not good!!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The size of Jinx's poops could indicate megacolon and should definitely be brought to the attention of your vet immediately.  Bring him/her one of the "human sized" examples   There are various treatments for megacolon, from diet to surgery, depending on the severity, but if that is the case, the sooner you catch it and treat it, the less complications your cat may have.  Let's hope it's just some odd side effect of the treatment he had.

As for Bella, you might try keeping a container of Huggies Wipes around and make an occasional wipe whenever she fails to clean herself properly..  Lift tail, wipe cat, then let her take off.  If nothing else, she will clean herself to get the scent of the Huggies off her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh ok..maybe ill book him into vets tonight if they r free! Thanks..ok yeh ive tried to just wet her bum but she is so fluffy when she cleans herself she misses it! The vets offered to shave her but its expensive to do all the time :/

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok well I rang the vets and they said U have to bring a poo in to see if its big! Gosh!! Ive read up on megacolon tonight and it sounds bad! :( after the meds Jinx did not poop for a couple of days and then this all started! Ahh..im stressed. He has been sick for so long!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your cat Jinx been experiencing constipation, straining to poop, for some time? If not, and his poops are just bigger on account of not going for a couple of days, then this is very likely NOT megacolon. Megacolon develops as the result of 'chronic' constipation that leads to the colon becoming stretched time and again when feces build up. It's not something that comes on suddenly. Depending on what you are feeding, the larger poop could also be the result of fiber in the food he is getting.

Good luck at the vets and let us know what turns up.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After all his meds he did not go for a couple of days and then he did the 1st massive poop. He has been doing them ever since. Diet is the same. He has leaking anal glands and the last time the vet drained them he was very sore and red and then was losing little poo nuggets around the house for a week. The vets did not seem phased. He was on meds at this stage so they did not want to see him until the meds were finished.
I am a worry wart because he is my baby!! :(
I will keep you posted. Thanks guys!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all his meds he did not go for a couple of days and then he did the 1st massive poop. He has been doing them ever since. Diet is the same. He has leaking anal glands and the last time the vet drained them he was very sore and red and then was losing little poo nuggets around the house for a week. The vets did not seem phased. He was on meds at this stage so they did not want to see him until the meds were finished.
I am a worry wart because he is my baby!!

I will keep you posted. Thanks guys!
Yes, some meds can be terribly constipating. Let's hope this was the cause and that Jinx will soon be back to normal.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou!!!!! [emoji]9829[/emoji]

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[ATTACHMENT=591]20140513_223133.jpg (461k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]