Poop Issue!

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize in advance for this long post. About 3 years ago, I adopted a Maine Coon mix and named him Brady. When I adopted him, I was told he had a history of crystals but I really didn't know what that meant at the time or how severe it could be. Fast forward to last January when he showed his first signs of "FLUTD" as the ER vet called it which lasted about 5 days. From that point on and up until last June, he blocked and passed a few mucous plugs which prompted trips to the ER vet because it would always happen during the weekend or middle of the night. The last time in June was the worst and he was showing no signs of passing this blockage; I brought him to his regular vet, who I love him and credit him for saving Brady's life, who said he was blocked and needed to be cathed and flushed out. They had a terrible time trying to cath him and at that point his bladder was so "weak and sick" according to the vet that his bladder ruptured which prompted him to have emergency bladder surgery. He made it through that surgery and the vet was afraid of him blocking again once he took out the cath. We decided it would be best for him to have the PU surgery which he had a week after the first surgery. The PU surgery was the last thing I wanted to put him through but after weighing all the options and with that being like 5-6th time he blocked in 4 months, I felt I had no other option. Brady is a chunky cat and the only issue he has had since that surgery was keeping that area clean. He has gotten an ecoli infection around the outside of the "new" opening which has been treated and for maintenance I wipe him with medicated wipes once or twice a day which has been keeping him somewhat under control down there.

Which brings me to my question and I'm hoping someone has some advice. Since the surgeries, he has had tummy troubles. After the surgeries, he was on several antibiotics and things like that but it's now almost January and he's still experiencing these issues. He does one decent poop a day but after that he's in and out of his box doing smaller, softer poops every time he eats and that'll last a few hours. Sometimes, he even digs like he has to poop and nothing comes out; I know he's not straining to pee because he holds his tail and makes a different face when he has to poop. Once he goes through that "spell" he'll be fine until the next day and the cycle repeats itself. The only med he takes is 10mg of amitriptyline in a pill pocket each day because he suffers from stress and anxiety which he has been taking since June. I also put Proviable DC in his breakfast so he's getting a probiotic; I tried FortiFlora but he won't eat it. He's on an all canned food diet and no dry food; I've made changes and tried eliminating certain things thinking he was allergic to chicken, turkey and he still has issues. The only canned prescription food he gets is the Purina UR Salmon every morning cause he seems to like it, the rest of the canned food is mainly grain free. He never had this issue prior to the surgeries when he was eating Fancy Feast and things like that. The vet even had him try B12 shots thinking he was maybe deficient but that didn't help and it adds more stress to him since the shots are weekly. The PU surgical site is close to his bum and I am constantly worried about keeping him clean since his poop is soft sometimes- I'm always afraid of it getting in and causing more of an infection. Does anybody have any suggestions? I feel like I have tried everything and spent a fortune on food trying to figure this out. I just feel so bad for him because I think he gets cramps in his tummy because he'll cry before he poops. Any suggestions are welcome!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the poor baby. Thank you for being such a good parent!

Perhaps adding a fiber to his wet food would help? Something like plain pumpkin puree or psyllium husk powder?
Perhaps that would help better form his poop so it all comes out and you don't get the "mini soft after poops".
Are all of his mini poops very soft? does he ever have a small hard turd among the soft mush? The fiber would also help with hard stools as well as it draws more water into the colon.
Even adding a hairball paste or gel in his food might help also, it lubricates the colon for easier passing. So it might help with the straining. And being a long haired cat, I assume it would be good for him regardless.
As for crying out prior to pooping, is it a "I'm in pain" cry? I ask because I also have a cat who likes to announce her poop schedule, and she has no issues with pooping. She just likes to tell everyone what she's doing. Her meow can sound distressing to the untrained ear, but it's also the same meow she uses after she's attacked and caught something (toy). Her voice is just really pathetic, so it sounds like a bad thing, but it's not. We call it her "warrior cry".

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing. Don't discount that this poop issue is really a peeing issue. My vet did explain to me that sometimes straining to poop could be an indication of pain during urination as the the area of the colon does press up against the urethra. It could be that he still has crystals, but due to the surgery he's not blocking but still experiencing pain. Also, he could be straining so hard, due to the feeling of having to pee due to discomfort from the crystals, that poop just happens to come out, which is why he's pooping these small mushy stools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other thing. Don't discount that this poop issue is really a peeing issue. My vet did explain to me that sometimes straining to poop could be an indication of pain during urination as the the area of the colon does press up against the urethra. It could be that he still has crystals, but due to the surgery he's not blocking but still experiencing pain. Also, he could be straining so hard, due to the feeling of having to pee due to discomfort from the crystals, that poop just happens to come out, which is why he's pooping these small mushy stools.
He's always been a talker before he had to poop so that's really nothing new; he doesn't strain for long, its like he feels the need to poop then hops right outta the box. I really don't think it has anything to do with urinary because he pees usually before he poops and its a decent amount. He does cry after he eats which usually leads him to pooping in his box. It's kinda like he has cramps and feels like he needs to go. I haven't seen any issues with urinary since surgery *knock on wood*. I've been using Laxatone cause I suspected a hairball issue but since I've been using that the last couple of days, this issue seems to have gotten worse. Last Sunday, he did throw up quite a bit of fur which he hadn't thrown up in months and then this issue went away for like 2 days then came back. His minipoops are usually soft, nothing is hard at all where I would suspect constipation even his first poop of the day is "normal" not soft and not hard. I did read about psyllium husk powder and was thinking of trying that, I can't imagine its not all coming out to begin with because sometimes he poops quite a bit at first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you feed him different foods during the day, try and see if this issue occurs with at least one of the foods you feed him. I noticed you said he is fed Purina UR Salmon every morning, and then other foods for the rest of the day. So, you might want to monitor each of those foods, the probiotics, and even the amitriptyline, to see if when you give him any one of these things that it coincides with his pooping issue.

As far as his cleaning issue - Feeby (15+) was getting constant UTIs and each time the urinalysis would show e-coli bacteria. Given her age, being a bit overweight and having some arthritis, she is likely not keeping herself clean enough, allowing fecal matter to travel into the urethra/bladder. So, I did some research and found that pure D-mannose is used to help clear the bladder lining of e-coli, asked the vet about it and he thought it would be a good thing to try with her. I did buy some, but haven't tried it yet as I also do 'booty duty' (wiping the area with unscented, hypoallergenic wipes) on Feeby at least a couple times a week and that has seemed to keep the UTIs at bay so far. But, you could consider using D-mannose to help reduce the possibility of more e-coli infections. Btw, my vet said it is very hard to totally eradiate e-coli from the urinary tract, even with the aide of antibiotics.

I wouldn't yet rule out that his issue isn't bladder/urine related. A urinalysis would let you know if he is producing crystals/sediment in his urine. It might also be worthwhile to have his stool checked for bacteria, just in case something is going on from that perspective.

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If you feed him different foods during the day, try and see if this issue occurs with at least one of the foods you feed him. I noticed you said he is fed Purina UR Salmon every morning, and then other foods for the rest of the day. So, you might want to monitor each of those foods, the probiotics, and even the
amitriptyline
, to see if when you give him any one of these things that it coincides with his pooping issue.

As far as his cleaning issue - Feeby (15+) was getting constant UTIs and each time the urinalysis would show e-coli bacteria. Given her age, being a bit overweight and having some arthritis, she is likely not keeping herself clean enough, allowing fecal matter to travel into the urethra/bladder. So, I did some research and found that pure D-mannose is used to help clear the bladder lining of e-coli, asked the vet about it and he thought it would be a good thing to try with her. I did buy some, but haven't tried it yet as I also do 'booty duty' (wiping the area with unscented, hypoallergenic wipes) on Feeby at least a couple times a week and that has seemed to keep the UTIs at bay so far. But, you could consider using D-mannose to help reduce the possibility of more e-coli infections. Btw, my vet said it is very hard to totally eradiate e-coli from the urinary tract, even with the aide of antibiotics.

I wouldn't yet rule out that his issue isn't bladder/urine related. A urinalysis would let you know if he is producing crystals/sediment in his urine. It might also be worthwhile to have his stool checked for bacteria, just in case something is going from that perspective.
I actually have d-mannose and he had no issue eating it in his food, his stools were getting loose so I wasn't sure if that was also causing it. Kinda one of those things I've been eliminating some things, stopped giving amitriptyline for a day just to see if I could find the culprit. I read somewhere that you shouldn't give d-mannose for maintenance but only if they are showing an issue? So I was afraid to continuously give it to him. Its been a bunch of trial and error so far haven't found the issue. I'm probably gonna call the vet tomorrow again and see what he thinks again, its one of those things where he seems stumped also. Having the stool checked for bacteria is probably a good idea. I just feel so bad for his tummy. He's been peeing every 8-10 hours so luckily I know he doesn't have a UTI, every time I say that I knock on wood.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read somewhere that you shouldn't give d-mannose for maintenance but only if they are showing an issue?
D-mannose is for preventing an over-accumulation of e-coli in the bladder. It is not effective for treating a UTI, so once 'an issue' shows up, it is probably the beginnings of an infection and D-mannose won't treat an infection. At least that is my understanding of it. I am pretty sure there are other members on this site that use a maintenance dose. But, yes, it is possible that it could be the culprit as much as any of the other things he is ingesting. Or, perhaps even a combination of them?

I know about the 'knock on wood" thing!! I am actually surprised I didn't say that when I mentioned Feeby and her UTIs!! I must be dropping my guard - oops!

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
D-mannose is for preventing an over-accumulation of e-coli in the bladder. It is not effective for treating a UTI, so once 'an issue' shows up, it is probably the beginnings of an infection and D-mannose won't treat an infection. At least that is my understanding of it. I am pretty sure there are other members on this site that use a maintenance dose. But, yes, it is possible that it could be the culprit as much as any of the other things he is ingesting. Or, perhaps even a combination of them?

I know about the 'knock on wood" thing!! I am actually surprised I didn't say that when I mentioned Feeby and her UTIs!! I must be dropping my guard - oops!
I'm definitely planning on starting up the d-mannose again, I was just kinda waiting for this tummy situation to get better. I really do think its a combination or some kinda food intolerance that I'm not figuring out yet. Its frustrating because I just want him to feel better. I'm hoping this isn't going to be how it'll be now after surgery.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the probiotics are causing it? I’m currently using one brand for cats and if I give my cats too much of it, they get constipaded, I can only add a dash of the powder. It’s worth taking it away for few days to see if it changes anything

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe the probiotics are causing it? I’m currently using one brand for cats and if I give my cats too much of it, they get constipaded, I can only add a dash of the powder. It’s worth taking it away for few days to see if it changes anything
I'm gonna try that next! Fingers crossed haha