Pooch has a lump on his ear!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About nine thirty tonight I was petting pooch and ran my hands down both ears and noticed that he has a lump on his left ear that is a little bit bigger than a quarter. It is stationary and dosen't really feel like it is fluid filled, but I can't tell for sure. He acts like it is sore and dosen't want me to touch it. It also feels like it might have a little fever in it as it is warmer than the other ear is.

I thought maybe it was a bug bite or sting because we had been at the dog park today for a couple of hours, we got back here about six and I found it at nine thirty. I'm not sure but I don't think a bug bite would stay swollen that long?? I gave him some benadryl (recommended dosage by my vet of course) and two hours later the lump is still there and hasn't reduced in size at all.

I wish I knew for sure how long it has been there as I can't say for sure it wasn't there before we went to the park. If anyone has any theories about what this could be please let me know.

If it is still there by morning I guess we will be off to the vet, but until then I'm at a total loss.

Thanks so much,
Keysha

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, a couple weeks ago Simon got bit by something and it was a hard bump on his face as well as entire facial swelling and I rushed him to the vet and they gave him a steroid shot and a shot of benadryl and it took about 12 hours for the swelling to go down and the bump remained there for about 2 days- is the bump still there now? if so i would probably take him to the vet tomorrow

drider3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
arr sounds nasty i hope it is nothing bad and just like a random lump
................................................................................ ........................

prncss89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi This sounds just like what my father just went through with his animals! Please have it checked with a vet for MRSA. Due to my fathers pets my sister now has it. It is easy to clear up in some cases but now the aminals have to be on meds and it will always reoccur but without treatment it can become fatal!
Melissa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't replied back to this yet. I took Pooch to the vet first thing Friday morning and had the lump checked. It was just a blood clot from some broken blood vessels. A dog had snapped at him at the park and apparently got ahold of his ear. It didn't break the skin but essentially gave him a bruise under the skin. Its already went down quite a bit. I've got him on antibiotics just to be safe and a mild pain killer so that he dosen't irratate it anymore. Thanks for the replies and the good vibes. My vet says it should be gone within a week!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Sorry I haven't replied back to this yet. I took Pooch to the vet first thing Friday morning and had the lump checked. It was just a blood clot from some broken blood vessels. A dog had snapped at him at the park and apparently got ahold of his ear. It didn't break the skin but essentially gave him a bruise under the skin. Its already went down quite a bit. I've got him on antibiotics just to be safe and a mild pain killer so that he dosen't irratate it anymore. Thanks for the replies and the good vibes. My vet says it should be gone within a week!
poor pooch! nasty other dog
glad to hear he's doing good!