Polydactyly

Kokomo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have some questions on the best way to manage spare toes in a cat with polydactyly. Cosmo has dewclaws on both back legs, one extra toe on his right front and basically one and a half extra toes on his left front. Neither of his back dewclaws are problematic, however, both of his front extra toes have some issues. The single extra toe on the right has two nails growing out of a single nailbed. One nail looks healthy and normal and the other not so much. His left extra toe has a sort of kinda toe growing out of it with a deformed nail. The shelter vet recommended amputating the extra toes but they ultimately decided against that. My vet is suggesting removing the nails but leaving the toes with the potential to also remove the not quite full toe on the left. I am normally very anti-declawing but I also recognize that sometimes things need to be done as the lesser of two evils. So, I am looking for other's experience with extra toes with not quite right nails. I am more than able and willing to trim his nails as needed if that would help. I will try to get pictures of his extra toes but he is a wiggly little one.

And a picture just because he is adorable!

1668721879486.png

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some questions on the best way to manage spare toes in a cat with polydactyly. Cosmo has dewclaws on both back legs, one extra toe on his right front and basically one and a half extra toes on his left front. Neither of his back dewclaws are problematic, however, both of his front extra toes have some issues. The single extra toe on the right has two nails growing out of a single nailbed. One nail looks healthy and normal and the other not so much. His left extra toe has a sort of kinda toe growing out of it with a deformed nail. The shelter vet recommended amputating the extra toes but they ultimately decided against that. My vet is suggesting removing the nails but leaving the toes with the potential to also remove the not quite full toe on the left. I am normally very anti-declawing but I also recognize that sometimes things need to be done as the lesser of two evils. So, I am looking for other's experience with extra toes with not quite right nails. I am more than able and willing to trim his nails as needed if that would help. I will try to get pictures of his extra toes but he is a wiggly little one.

And a picture just because he is adorable!

View attachment 436409
Such a beauty!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What a cutie! I don't know how much help this will be, but here is a link to previous threads on this site about polydactyl cats just in case you find something valuable in looking through them.
Search Results for Query: polydactyly | TheCatSite

And for what it is worth - these articles (which you have probably already seen) -
Polydactyl Cats: What You Should Know About These Multi-toed Kitties (rover.com)
Polydactyly in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)
6 Facts about Polydactyl Cats - The Vets

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a cutie!

3 of my former ferals are polydactyl. Only one had one thumb removed at her vetting at 6 months old. I was told it was done because that nail was growing in the wrong direction. The same rescue vet had vetted ( at 6 months old) the other two who were slated to be TNRed and saw no need for amputation. So I'm almost certain she only amputates when she deems it absolutely necessary. All have had no difficulty and they now 7-9 years old.
Although I am 100% anti- declaw, I do believe with certain dire medical conditions, it is appropriate (only the affected nail(s)).

FYI, we did get a poor stray at our shelter whose claws had grown into his toes/pads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kokomo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. What a cutie! I don't know how much help this will be, but here is a link to previous threads on this site about polydactyl cats just in case you find something valuable in looking through them.
Search Results for Query: polydactyly | TheCatSite

And for what it is worth - these articles (which you have probably already seen) -
Polydactyl Cats: What You Should Know About These Multi-toed Kitties (rover.com)
Polydactyly in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)
6 Facts about Polydactyl Cats - The Vets
Thank you so much! He is my first multi-toed cat so I want to make sure I make the best choices for him!

O my! I have no advice but am smitten!
He has several self-proclaimed not a cat person totally in love with him. He is an absolute doll!

What a cutie!

3 of my former ferals are polydactyl. Only one had one thumb removed at her vetting at 6 months old. I was told it was done because that nail was growing in the wrong direction. The same rescue vet had vetted ( at 6 months old) the other two who were slated to be TNRed and saw no need for amputation. So I'm almost certain she only amputates when she deems it absolutely necessary. All have had no difficulty and they now 7-9 years old.
Although I am 100% anti- declaw, I do believe with certain dire medical conditions, it is appropriate (only the affected nail(s)).

FYI, we did get a poor stray at our shelter whose claws had grown into his toes/pads.
Thank you so much!