Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't quite understand. Is this question for the registered breeders on the board, or anyone? The only people that should be breeding are registered breeders.

wendyb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she a purebred kitty?  Are you a registered Cattery?  Are you debating if she should go to a Cattery or as a pet?  She's a cutie, but unless you know what breed she is and how she'll meet the breed standard, I really can't suggest anything.

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this poll is aimed at the general public. Well, at least, that's what I thought when I voted.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a cute kitten, and shelters all over the world are full of cute kittens that will be put to sleep because cat owners allow their cats to have kittens.

Your question is irrelevant in the context of this site. To the members here 'breeding' means a registered breeder working hard to conserve and improve their chosen breed by researching blood lines, choosing parents carefully in the light of known pedigrees, and regularly showing their cats at official cat shows to compare lines and get confirmation that their work is successful. These breeders will only allow show quality cats to mate, and will neuter and spay the rest, to sell as quality pets for people who prefer to own a 'known' breed.

This site tries to educate people into having all other cats neutered to stop the over-population problem that leads to thousands of cats being killed in shelters every month. We love cats, and will always support anyone whose cat gets pregnant accidentally, or especially those who take in and care for pregnant stray and feral cats. But we actively discourage those who want their pets to mate, for whatever reason. Kids can experience the joy of birth and kittens by adopting an already pregnant cat, and you can never 'replicate' a pet cat, either for appearance or personality - it takes several generations of careful selection to breed true and that is what real breeds are all about.

I hope this helps you to understand what we are all about here on the Catsite, and why we would always say 'adopt, do not breed'.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 These breeders will only allow show quality cats to mate,
 Agreeing totally with the post, I want to add an interesting point here.

A knowleable breeder, knowing the lines, will often use also cats who themselves arent of stunning show quality. Healthy, sound, of good type "excellent" yes, but whom themselves are nowhere of show winner standard.  In fact, one of the trade mark of a knowleable long term breeder is to use such good, but "second rate" cats. 

It is thus a nice example of this discussion. This breeder  uses these "second rates" not because she happens to have them, but he uses them because he knows the lineages, and what partners to use with each one, and hers long term planning...

So breeding is NOT to have a litter, just because you happen to have a cat. Nor even if it is a pure bred cat, and you manage to mate her with some tom of the same breed.

Last edited: