POLL: Ability to Afford Premium Food v. Ownership

kaikrishna1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a lot of extra money and I feed my cats a pretty good food, Taste of the Wild for my bengals and Kirkmans for my ferals. That said, I think there are so many homeless and euthanized cats in the world that a cat that eats crap food is a lot better off than a lot of cats and I have no issue with it.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by resqchick

I absolutely believe that inexpensive cat food and a loving home is far better than a shelter or feral life.
And that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so broad question that I won't vote in the poll.
I would say that if the cat is indoor/outdoor kitty, he/she will manage better with cheap not so good quality foods (because they hunt outside) than an indoor only cat would.
I would never feed anything 'rainbow colored' stuff for my cats. If I happen to get foods like that (some friends and relatives may bring Whiskas or Friskies for the cats when they come to visit) I will give them to my grandpa who has an indoor/outdoor cat. I know few 'mousers' who did just fine with cheap quality foods because their main menu was the fresh kill outdoors. They were de-wormed etc regularly and they lived 15-20 years (in areas where is very little traffic, neighbors far away and very rarely predators [we only really have wolves, bears and lynxes here and they pretty much stay away from human habitation, hawks and eagles concern me more..]).

The situation changes when humans are their only food sources. I've seen where it can lead and I'll try everything I can not to go that road with my cats. I rather starve myself than feed unnecessary junk for my cats for a month (or a year, or..). Yes, they do get junk food for treats sometimes and 1/3 of Luna's diet has Royal Canin's Oral Care in it for dental hygiene, and I feel like I'm pushing it already. She only eats dry food which is giving me a headache.. Now that she's (very likely) pregnant, she is eating Applaws kitten dry food and the RC Oral Care stuff and I feel like I'm taking her to McDonald's everyday.

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm with the voters who are both yes and no on this question, however I voted No for the poll.

If you already owned the cat and feeding low quality cheap food was the only way to keep your cat or dog then I would be all for it - anything to keep from giving them up.

However if you are in the position before even getting the pet where you are questioning the finances of basic care such as food thinking you are going to have to go with low cost and quality just to be able to get the pet in the first place then I wonder what will happen when that pet has unexpected expenses?

I always advocated provide the best that you are able to. Buying the best of the best is not necessary and I realize that while we all want to buy - and want every pet owner we know - to buy what we believe is "the best" it's not always possible. But if you are not able to at least afford the top of a mid-quality and mid priced brand then I think you really should re-think having a pet.

Food costs are minor as far as what pet expenses can be on a yearly basis. Routine wellness veterinary care, possible emergency care, and veterinary care that extends beyond routine wellness such as dental and tests that should be done every few years add up to quite a sum of money. Not to mention litter, toys, beds, scratching posts all get expensive but are necessary for a healthy cat.

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyMom4

However if you are in the position before even getting the pet where you are questioning the finances of basic care such as food thinking you are going to have to go with low cost and quality just to be able to get the pet in the first place then I wonder what will happen when that pet has unexpected expenses?
This is my concern. I'd love to say "feed the best you can afford" but if someone can only afford grocery store brands, what happens when there is a costly vet visit? I'm not talking long, drawn out cancer treatment that could stretch anyone's budget, but can they even afford to spay/neuter? Can they afford to move a cat if necessary, or will they be one of the owners who say, "I'm moving and can't afford to take the cat." I hate to say it, but sometimes euthanasia is kinder than letting a cat out because you can't take care of it.

I'm not saying you have to be able to afford premium brands. But not being able to afford anything but the cheapest food is a symptom of a bigger problem.

scottp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 cents:

First I agree 100% that cheap dry food and loving home is better than being homeless, half-starved, or euthanized in a shelter. Second, bad food the cat will actually eat is also better than the best on the market if the cat refuses to eat it. I also think that a lot of people just don't know anything about pet nutrition and incorrectly assume that pet food companies know what they are doing and are putting out good food and that ingredients and flavors that sound good or appetizing to the human must be good for the cat.