Pododermatitis (Pillow Foot)

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 year old cat was diagnosed with Pillow Foot. He has it real bad on his left rear paw. He was treated at another vet about 6 weeks ago for his right paw and somewhat cleared up. The vet knew about at much as I do about it so we changed vets.
This time it's on his left rear paw and much worse to the point that it's split open. New vet cleaned and drained it and put on Neo-Predef powder and sent home with script for that along with Amoxi-Clav also with instructions to use shredded newspaper in litter box so litter debris doesn't get into the wound.
What I read on-line the go to medicine is Doxycycline. I've used Amoxi-Clav in the past for URI, anyone have any experience using Amoxi for pillow foot?.
Another question is what's the best litter to use other than shredded newspaper for litter box until his paw heals.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon.com
This is a paper pellet type of litter. You will want to use something similar to make sure no little particles get in his paw and also you want it to be dust free fragrance free..
I don't think I would use shredded newspaper because I think it would allow urine to puddle and he may step in it with his paw..

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had it and it split open. We took him to a dermatologist and he cleaned it up and sewed it shut. It never returned. His other paws resolved.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi J jr70895 The Amoxi-Clav is probably as they are thinking the wound might be infected.

You are correct about Doxycycline. It is the go to for pillow foot not Amoxi-Clav. I unfortunately know this is I had to treat one of my girls for it. 10 months on it and it's not come back since. *knock on wood*

It's a bit more expensive than another treatment for it (steroids) but is better tolerated and less side effects and /or long term negative effects for kitty.