Pneumonia

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently took in some foster cats, a mother and her eight kittens. The rescue I got them from failed to mention that they had upper respiratory infections and, since I didn't know about the infections, I wasn't treating them. The mother cat's URI has now developed into pneumonia. I took her to the vet as she began to wheeze and drool. The vet gave her two shots, a steroid and what I'll assume was some antibiotic. We go back tomorrow for more treatment. While we're at home tonight, I'm not sure what to do for her. She just sleeps, she won't eat, she can only breathe out of her mouth, she's not drinking. I want to know if there's anything I should/could do for her tonight. I thought about letting her sit in the bathroom while I showered so the steam would clear her sinuses, but my mother questioned what the moisture would do to her lungs. So I have absolutely no clue how to help her right now and any advice would help.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're cats are lucky 2 have your kindness and care. I am glad you are taking your cat back to the vet in the morning. The antibiotics should start to help in 12to 24 hours. Blue puffer administered with areokat can give immediate relief. Unfortunately you don't have that right now. It's the same puffer people take for asthma. The breathing and drooling problem could also be caused by congestive heart failure. A chest x-ray would be needed to diagnose this. Best wishes.... Please keep us posted.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add, if your cat's condition worsens I suggest going to an emergency vet hospital.