Pneumonia or asthma, does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been giving Sassea liquid antibiotics for irritated gums. The last two days she has not felt well. Today my wife noticed Sassea foaming a little at the mouth and breathing was labored. We took her to the vet who said her lung xray looked terrible and suggested it was Asthma. With the foaming and the fact we had given liquid antibiotics this CatSite has made me think it could be Aspiration Pneumonia from us accidentally shooting meds down her throat instead of into the corner of her mouth. I would hate to lose her over night if there is something else they should do. She is staying the night in an oxygen tent. 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so, if you did that your cat would immediately let you know by coughing and wheezing immediately.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pneumonia can be cured, but it's often a long recovery.  Asthma is an ongoing, chronic condition. 

Prayers that your girl is okay.  Glad you got her to the vet and she's getting medical attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am waiting for the vet to open today. When I left Sassea there last night I didn't understand how serious her condition might be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassea never woke up, she died.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am so saddened to read your update about Sassea.  That must have been very difficult for you, especially when you say you hadn't realized she was so sick when taking her in to the vet.   

The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.  We usually lock threads here on TCS after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute, or to post further about what happened for Sassea and seek advice and support about what has happened  in our Crossing the Bridge Forum at:  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge  .   

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.