PLZ help, Tigger may die tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by andre75

I am videotaping him now. Hopefully I can get some input later. Ever since he got home he is obsessively licking himself. Never stops longer than a few seconds and it looks obsessive compulsive. Seems his nervous system really took a hit. He was similar yesterday, but with more seasures and less licking I guess. He is supposed to be sedated from the medicine. No sign yet.
Give him a hug from me and let us know how the night goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to leave the room for a while. Here is the video:
Tigger Video
Don't watch if you have weak nerves. He has been doing this for over an hour now.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Andre, I am shooting in the dark here, but does Tigger have any burns on the sides of his mouth? Inside, not out? Is it possible that he chewed through one of your cords, not completely severing the wire but getting into either the aluminum or the copper wiring? Both of these man-made substances are toxic to cats, aluminum moreso than copper, as cats generally manufacture their own form of copper. But the copper used to wrap wires is more concentrated as is the aluminum.

Overgrooming can be a response to pain, the cat is digging at it's belly trying to get to the pain and stop it. They will tear out chunks of their hair as well in their anxiety to get the pain to stop.

I wish you well with this handsome fella. I would check all your cords looking for chew marks, and see if there are any burns. Having cats when they come down this ill is always a puzzle, and we are left behind to try and find the most pieces we can to locate the answer.

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Andre, I am shooting in the dark here, but does Tigger have any burns on the sides of his mouth? Inside, not out? Is it possible that he chewed through one of your cords, not completely severing the wire but getting into either the aluminum or the copper wiring? Both of these man-made substances are toxic to cats, aluminum moreso than copper, as cats generally manufacture their own form of copper. But the copper used to wrap wires is more concentrated as is the aluminum.
Don't have to check. I know he did that. I can't imagine though that he does it right now. He chewed through several of my headphones. Every time I forget to put them away.

Overgrooming can be a response to pain, the cat is digging at it's belly trying to get to the pain and stop it. They will tear out chunks of their hair as well in their anxiety to get the pain to stop.
I would say no. We don't groom him. The shaved belly is due to the ultrasound the Doc did. Even so the first seizures were also directed towards the belly. I am sure if something would have been wrong the Doc would have seen it while shaving him.

I wish you well with this handsome fella. I would check all your cords looking for chew marks, and see if there are any burns.
Excellent suggestion. I will make sure to mention this. I don't think he is burned though. The vet would defenitely have found it.

Having cats when they come down this ill is always a puzzle, and we are left behind to try and find the most pieces we can to locate the answer.
I just had another thought. Tiggs got like this after getting home from the vet and eating and drinking. He didn't do this all day at the vet, similar yesterday.
After realizing this I just drove to the grocery store and swapped out his water an food. Tigger defenitely eats and especially drinks more than Tina. I changed their waters and foods. Do you think this could be a possibility? Besides coffee and the occasional soup my wife and I don't drink much water. Usually we drink sodas and Tina always has less than Tigger.

Anyways, the cable idea is brilliant. I can't check him right now, since he still isnt very well, but I will make sure to mention it.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another possibility is a spinal cord infection. this can last for 3-4 days and with the right meds the cat can rebound

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Another possibility is a spinal cord infection. this can last for 3-4 days and with the right meds the cat can rebound
The Doc suggested an MRI but I am not sure. It either tells us something bad or it will tell us that the treatment we are doing right now is correct. It costs another 1.5k. I feel bad talking dollars, but I already spent this much without results.
He is being treated for a number of possible infectious causes.
He gets 4 or 5 syringes and one tablet ever 12 hours. One of them should kick in. The Doc says no permanent damage will be caused by the meds. Doc wants to wait 2-3 days to see if the meds are kicking in.
Problem is, he is so sensitive, I can barely touch him without him freaking. I did touch him with one finger on his forehad stroking him gently, but sometimes even this is too much.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
>>I just had another thought. Tiggs got like this after getting home from the vet and eating and drinking. He didn't do this all day at the vet, similar yesterday.
After realizing this I just drove to the grocery store and swapped out his water an food. Tigger defenitely eats and especially drinks more than Tina. I changed their waters and foods. Do you think this could be a possibility? Besides coffee and the occasional soup my wife and I don't drink much water. Usually we drink sodas and Tina always has less than Tigger.<<

Poor baby! This is unreal...this started with hiccups,right? And they are caused by diaphram spasms or something irritating the diaphram,right? The ultrasound was OK?? Have you added anything new to your home that could be causing some sort of toxic reaction? I'm not much help,but I feel your frustration and have to say something!

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ultrasound and X-ray showed nothing wrong with the diaphragm. The hickups were probably just helping out his lungs which did not hold the normal amount of air. By having these contractions the lung would suck in more air.
He is calm now. Again he wore himself out and is lying peacefully here now. He can not keep awake even if I come or go.
I don't know why he has those attacks right after getting home. Is it something at the vet or something at home? After he had the attacks, he usually only has one or two small ones until I get him home the next day.
Again he was giving them trouble when they tried to push the meds. I don't know if I can do it.
While I was there he was looking at me with his big eyes as if he was asking me why I let them torture him. It tore me apart.
I don't remember adding anything new. But you know how those poisons are. They can take a long time to built up, so where should I start looking. There are no chemicals around but until an hour ago I hadn't considered metals yet.
Maybe its even lead in the water supply. The symptoms of lead poisoning also sound similar. It could be so many things. I just gave him Arrow Head Drinking water from the Groceries.
Maybe I should take Tina for a checkup, to see if she has some symptoms too. Maybe this could tell us that its poisoning.

Momo: The focus of our efforts is defenitely on the central nervous system thats causing that. I have complete trust in the Doc for that. Something is affecting it, but we have not been able to find out what after all those tests. No bacteria have been found, but its hard to test for ALL.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

It comes down to listening to your heart...try to get real calm, and settled, and think deep down inside, what feels like the right thing to do based on all the info you have, including your needs, Tigger's needs, and Tina's needs.
i know it's hard to decide...last year, when Mouse was sick, i had to decided whether to leave town, as i had planned, or stay. she was to stay at the vet's regardless, but if i stayed in town i could visit her. the vet suggested i go ahead & take the trip, so i did. she died while i was away, so now i regret going. on the other hand, i was with my family, so had support i would not have had during that time had i chosen to stay.
money-wise - i decided that i could only afford what my one empty card would hold - $2000.00. Mouse made that decision easier by going to the bridge before i reached my monetary limit. only you know what you can afford to do - the vet may be willing to work out a payment plan if you want to continue treatment but have no more ready money. check with him. sending prayers & vibes for your tabby boy!

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
U sure he isnt just itchy? Totally clueless here, but the first thing that came to mind was if they shaved his tummy, maybe its bothering him

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I read about some obsessive self-biting when a kitty was having kidney problems. Was it Pat & Alix? Maybe do a search for FLUTD or "kidney failure". I know I've read about it on this site somwhere...

Oh, sorry, kidney disease is known as CRF, not FLUTD.

spares

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read through this whole thread and my heart is absolutely breaking for you. Lots of love and hope to you, your wife, Tina and Tigger.

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mirracle did happen, but not the way I had planned.
Tigger has gotten worse and we finally found the strength to do what is right for him. Yesterday night did not go so well and in a moment of clarity he said goodbye to us. He did not eat much anymore and was very passive.
Today at the vet we found the strength to make the correct decision.
Amazingly we feel better now. After this terrible night of horror we know we made the right decision.
Tigger has shed his earthly vessel around 10am today and has left this painful life that has been so short and ended so violently for him. He has now arrived at a place free of pain and full of happiness.
The four of us would like to thank all of Tiggers and our new friends who have given us so much support during these hard days. Your prayers and good thoughts are still with him as he ventured onto his new playing grounds.
He is now with other loved ones.

Thanks

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know Tiggs realized that you loved him and were doing everything you could.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry
, my heart and thoughts are with you at what must be such a sad time. I'm so sorry that sweet Tigger is gone, but he would have known how loved he was and was lucky that he had people looking out for him and able to make the right decision when it was needed.

I'm thinking of you all tonight

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know Tiggs realized that you loved him and were doing everything you could.
kudos to you for doing the best thing for him.
to you during this time of grief...

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats soo sad
I'm very, very sorry for you. I'm glad you found peace in setting him free from his pain. He will forever live in your heart.

RIP Tigger

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry. I was really praying for him, but I know you did what is best and he is in great hands. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.