PLZ HELP- IM FREAKING OUT- ANAL GLAND RUPTURE GONE BAD

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He took Metacam Oral Suspension liquid 3 ml for a sprained leg.
It got him pretty high.

He weighed 2.84 kg which is 6 lbs.
He's teeny tiny.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet told me once that we could use Fucidin (human-grade prescription antibiotic ointment which is similar to Polysporin but stronger.) Polysporin must be allowed then?

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow - Thanks for that. Maybe the Fucidin was for my dog.
Now I'm confused and can't remember who needed it and why.

Maybe salt water would be OK?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't add salt because a high sodium level is never good...
Water is the most important thing for cats or living beings, but if he's blocked, that could exacerbate his condition.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I thought that was for him to drink :lol:

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whew! Well that's good. I was thinking I must be a terrible pet owner to think of such a thing lol

• Haha
Reactions: F+V
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cornsilk (non-alcohol one) has anti-inflammatory properties, though I don't think it's effective for acute pain. Many pain killers are prescription only, such as buprenorphine. Gabapentin is a sedative but also works to alleviate pain I believe. I hope your friend has something 🙂 There's also Meloxicam (sold as metacam) which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) but it should be used with caution.

EDIT: omega 3 fish oil also helps but don't use cod liver oil.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I’m gonna make some calls and see if I can get a hold of some of this stuff tonight.

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He took Metacam Oral Suspension liquid 3 ml for a sprained leg.
It got him pretty high.

He weighed 2.84 kg which is 6 lbs.
He's teeny tiny.
Oh he’s a little guy!!!! I have one like that - they’re so extra cute when they stay little like that!
Thank you for all your help! I’m gonna ask and see if my friend with the cat rescue can get any of these for me to get him through until Mon. Thank you so much!

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GUYS HE PEED!!!! I grabbed a litter box and found some extra soft litter and put it right next to him. After he cautiously pawed at it for a moment he hopped in and peed - A LOT - without any straining or pain!!! After he buried it, he went poop but that was with A LOT of straining and pain. Not much poop came out but it was more than earlier. He also didn’t cry out when he went poo, even though he was obviously straining HARD. he buried it and then ran and drank some water, ate a bunch of food and laid back in bed. He does keep licking the wound and won’t stop no matter how hard I try to stop him. Oh, and his pee was real foamy looking on top. I’m thinking that maybe it’s from the antibiotics?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a relief!! One less thing to worry about. I've never seen foamy urine...
Do you have probiotic supplements?

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a relief!! One less thing to worry about. I've never seen foamy urine...
Do you have probiotic supplements?
I actually just started him on some yesterday - perfect timing I guess. He’s now defecated 4 times - each time liquid diarrhea and one of the times was a pretty decent amount. The other times were relatively small. So now I’m making doubly sure he’s taking in fluids. I’m not surprised considering he’s on antibiotics. I’ll slip some plain pedialyte in his water bowl.
Thank you guys so much for all your help! You guys all helped me so much! I’ve been a long time reader of the forums in here in order to get help but never felt so scared that I finally joined and wrote a post. I’m so glad I did. Thank you again! I’ll let you all know how the vet visit goes on Monday.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many probiotics actually don't work with antibiotics. One strain that is still effective is called Saccharomyces Boulardii and I recommend Jarrow's.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a veterinarian, and hold no license of any kind. You need to be very careful with medical advice over the internet. While Metacam (NSAID) may seemed to have worked for one cat, does not mean it is the correct medication for your cat in his current unknown situation. And, please remember, you do not know what is going on with your cat. He hasn’t seen a vet to get a diagnosis yet. At the dose recommendation given, you would have killed your cat. Metacam is not the correct drug for this.

The antibiotics, amoxicillin, is it fish amoxi? How are you dosing it? You are assuming this is an anal gland abscess. Why? It could be. It could also be an infected bite wound. It could also be a bite wound that has a fistula connecting the rectum to this wound. The protruding rectum could be a rectal prolapse. That could be caused by injury to the connective muscles of the rectum or there could be nerve damage or there could be many other things going on. Amoxicillin could have caused the diarrhea also leading to more of a prolapse.

Antibiotics are not all the same. If you treat with antibiotics at the wrong dose you can create a super bug that will be resistant to that antibiotic.

Before giving any prescription medications, and antibiotics, there are allot of considerations that must be taken into account before doing so. The most important being an exam by a veterinarian. A full physical is done to make sure the cat is healthy enough to handle the medications in question.

Obviously this is painful to the cat. He may not show outward signs of it, but, trust me it hurts. There are no medications you can give him that will help. OTC anti-inflammatory medications will kill a cat. I have seen many good intentioned owners that have killed their cat by giving Tylenol or Motrin. So, until he sees a vet, he will be in pain.

By “cleaning” this wound, you are causing more pain. If this is an abscess, it is dirty, and you cannot clean it. It is impossible to do. There is no point to even trying. Plus the skin will become or has become very friable and weak. You can do more damage. There is nothing topical you can put on him that will do anything other than make it worse.

I am sorry for your situation and I know it is hard to afford vet care. I have had to work off vet bills in the past. I know your situation would not allow you that much time away from home since you are the primary care giver to two people.

I am not insensitive to your situation. I know you are stressed out about this and that you love your cat. But, in all fairness and in the best interest of your cat, I will not tell you everything will be fine and not to worry. I know you I can be very direct in what I say, but this is all important and concerns your cat’s life. I love cats and will always speak up for them. I am not trying to offend you or come across uncaring.

The things you can do until your cat sees a vet:

Keep him inside only.

Separate him to a room with his own litter box, food and water, so you know for a fact if he is using the litter box, eating and drinking.

Remove the cat litter and only use shredded paper. The clay cat litter and dust drum it can get into the wound and cause more problems.

Only if he will allow it, take a white clean washcloth or hand towel, soak in hot water, ring out well and either have him sit on it, or gently place it against the area that is the problem. You will need to re warm during the process and try to do this for 10 minutes. By the time the washcloth touches the cat, it should be very warm, not hot.

Try everyone you know to get the money to have him seen sooner than Monday.

If you were declined for Care Credit, there is also something called Scratchpay. That might be a better option.

Check on this site for what to do if you need money for vet bills.

Make a plea on Facebook. Start a Go Fund Me.

Reach out to local after hours vets and explain your situation.You may get help or some other ideas on how to get help.

I hope everything works out and it is something simple. It’s just the longer you wait, the more complicated it gets.

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not a veterinarian, and hold no license of any kind. You need to be very careful with medical advice over the internet. While Metacam (NSAID) may seemed to have worked for one cat, does not mean it is the correct medication for your cat in his current unknown situation. And, please remember, you do not know what is going on with your cat. He hasn’t seen a vet to get a diagnosis yet. At the dose recommendation given, you would have killed your cat. Metacam is not the correct drug for this.

The antibiotics, amoxicillin, is it fish amoxi? How are you dosing it? You are assuming this is an anal gland abscess. Why? It could be. It could also be an infected bite wound. It could also be a bite wound that has a fistula connecting the rectum to this wound. The protruding rectum could be a rectal prolapse. That could be caused by injury to the connective muscles of the rectum or there could be nerve damage or there could be many other things going on. Amoxicillin could have caused the diarrhea also leading to more of a prolapse.

Antibiotics are not all the same. If you treat with antibiotics at the wrong dose you can create a super bug that will be resistant to that antibiotic.

Before giving any prescription medications, and antibiotics, there are allot of considerations that must be taken into account before doing so. The most important being an exam by a veterinarian. A full physical is done to make sure the cat is healthy enough to handle the medications in question.

Obviously this is painful to the cat. He may not show outward signs of it, but, trust me it hurts. There are no medications you can give him that will help. OTC anti-inflammatory medications will kill a cat. I have seen many good intentioned owners that have killed their cat by giving Tylenol or Motrin. So, until he sees a vet, he will be in pain.

By “cleaning” this wound, you are causing more pain. If this is an abscess, it is dirty, and you cannot clean it. It is impossible to do. There is no point to even trying. Plus the skin will become or has become very friable and weak. You can do more damage. There is nothing topical you can put on him that will do anything other than make it worse.

I am sorry for your situation and I know it is hard to afford vet care. I have had to work off vet bills in the past. I know your situation would not allow you that much time away from home since you are the primary care giver to two people.

I am not insensitive to your situation. I know you are stressed out about this and that you love your cat. But, in all fairness and in the best interest of your cat, I will not tell you everything will be fine and not to worry. I know you I can be very direct in what I say, but this is all important and concerns your cat’s life. I love cats and will always speak up for them. I am not trying to offend you or come across uncaring.

Keep him inside only.

Separate him to a room with his own litter box, food and water, so you know for a fact if he is using the litter box, eating and drinking.

Remove the cat litter and only use shredded paper. The clay cat litter and dust drum it can get into the wound and cause more problems.

Only if he will allow it, take a white clean washcloth or hand towel, soak in hot water, ring out well and either have him sit on it, or gently place it against the area that is the problem. You will need to re warm during the process and try to do this for 10 minutes. By the time the washcloth touches the cat, it should be very warm, not hot.

If you were declined for Care Credit, there is also something called Scratchpay. That might be a better option.

Reach out to local after hours vets and explain your situation.You may get help or some other ideas on how to get help.

I hope everything works out and it is something simple. It’s just the longer you wait, the more complicated it gets.
I would double check any medications I was suggested against recommended vet guideline dosages and do a TON of research before giving him anything. As far as how I know what it is, when the vet appointment was made and I described what’s going on, the vet that we will be seeing told the lady at the animal rescue to give him some amoxicillin to get him through the weekend and to keep cleaning it with an cat safe wound cleaner.

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Keep him inside only.

Sorry I accidentally somehow sent the last message before I was done. So what I was saying was the lady who runs the animal rescue that is helping to cover the cost of his care was told to actually try a different and more stronger antibiotic but when she went to grab it they were out-so the vets next choice was amoxicillin. He’s also the one who said to use warm compresses and keep the area clean with a cat friendly wound care cleaner. By cleaning it, I am not rubbing it, I am using a medicine dropper to very gently and slowly apply some of the cleaner, and then I use a cotton ball, to VERY VERY lightly dab the area if there’s litter or some debris on it because I don’t want to upset the area. I’ve actually worked with wound care and several cat rescues helping wounded cats so I’m pretty good about knowing how to handle and clean wounds like this, and what to do and not to do when it comes to helping them heal. Like I had said-he was actually completely on the mend and then out of nowhere things went real bad yesterday. What I’m wondering is if it’s because he figured out how to reach his wound and pick at it and lick it, even though we had a cone on him. Because he only began licking it about a day before it all went bad - For the 4 it was healing beautifully and he seemed fine (even though he HATED the cone).

I sent the rescue all the photos along with an extensive list of his symptoms. The vet seemed to agree that it looked like an abscessed anal scent gland that had burst. I was even told by the vet to put neosporin on it until I get to see him, but my cat is obsessively licking the area and I can’t get him to stop and I know that neosporin can be deadly to cats if ingested so I decided to try to wait.

Oh, and just to clarify: The lady at the rescue just gave me the antibiotics from their stash for the rescues but wasn’t told how much to give him by the vet so she also brought along the form that they use at the rescue when figuring out how much to give a cat.

I would’ve reached out to the vet to ask all my questions but he was already gone for the weekend.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. As long as it is vet prescribed. I have seen rescues ( well meaning of course) accidentally kill a cat using expired antibiotics. There are some medications that can be used past the expiration date and some that shouldn’t. Never antibiotics.

The reason it looked good was because cats heal super fast trapping bacteria and pus in their wounds. The skin closes up and looks great, yet under the skin more bacteria and pus continue to build up and it becomes very painful until it breaks the skin open. Then it looks much worse. The risks, if the abscess is big enough is that the cat can develope sepsis.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the record I wasn’t suggesting that she go get those painkiller medicines or administer anything without the vet OKing or prescribing them as needed and by weight. She asked what types of painkillers there were for cats so I named a few to answer the question and keep her mind off her stress. I wasn’t suggesting she go find some on her own and risk hurting her cat.
:(