Plus Size Clothes...RANT

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I must be the only person who shops on QVC - and I have been a regular size, gone up to a 2x and now I am on my way back down again. Things I like about QVC:
the prices do not change if you buy a plus size,
the styles don't change either
alot of the designers make petite, reg and long
the sizes are pretty standard with all the designers
they have great return policy
the designers tend to keep the same "colors" so you can add pieces from one year to the next
I would strongly urge you all to check out QVC.com - they have designers like Dana Buchman, etc., but I like Susan Graver, Citi Knits and Denim and Company. They also have a page that will tell you which size to order based on your measurements (and I think all their designers use the same measurements). Good luck and PM me if anyone has any other questions. I think that QVC is a hidden gem for clothes buying!
HSN has Antthony...a designer that speciallizes in plus sized clothing. His mom was always plus sized and couldn't find anything pretty so when he started his own line, he made clothing Mom would LOVE! He is also very reasonable!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear about a size 10 and I'm (don't hate me) tall-ish (5'8") have boobs but really no waist or hips. Plus I'm broad shouldered so lots of tops are interesting to find-Ann Taylor and Talbots are good. In the past week or so on Oprah Sra Jessica Parker is launching an inexpensive clothing line-check out Oprah's website for more info-nothing more than $20 sizes 2-22 ad the clothes looked really good!!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dress Barn is awesome, but unfortunately I do not have one near where I live
I usually buy my stuff from Wal-Mart. I wear a size 22 petite, which is very difficult to find and nothing looks good on me anymore.

I have tried numerous times to find cute tops since I'm not all that large on the top, kind of pear shaped. I've resorted to wearing the same things every day now.. a plain colored t-shirt with normal neak line, and a pair of boot cut stretch jeans.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Just in a little side note- i'm not plus sized.....but i'd sure as heck appreciate it if SOMEONE would make pants that fit me!!!!!!!!
I'm 4'11.5'' I have NEVER found a pair of pants that aren't hanging off the floor on me! Blue Jeans are the worst! And dress pants- forget it!!! They ALWAYS have to be hemmed
I swear the people that make clothes don't have a clue as to what real women are shapped like. (we're not all as tall as super models).
I'm 4'10" and wear like a size....well the size doesn't matter. But I CAN NOT find 1 pair of pants to fit me. I'd shop in the petite section since I'm so short, but they don't have a petite plus size section. I could go to the expensive stores and pay hundreds of dollars there, then spend alot more money on hemming them... But I'm sorry I'm poor and can not afford that. I would really like to have a meeting with the designers!

I would like to show off my chest because that's the 1 part on my body I'm happy about.. but since I'm a little bigger- the designers feel they need to cover all that up?!?!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Don't forget about making every shirt out of tight stretchy material.
Who was the genius that thought that up??

I've been as large as a size 22 before, and now I am hovering between regular sizes and plus sizes, depending on the clothes. Being 5'3" makes it a bit more difficult. I've bought capris before that fit me as regular length pants.

I've had luck before at Macy's and Dress Barn Women for Plus Sizes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Don't forget about making every shirt out of tight stretchy material.
Who was the genius that thought that up??
Which is exactly why my shirt size ranges 3-4 sizes! If it is "meant" to be tight, I get it a few sizes too big so it fits normal and actually looks decent.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AMEN!

I'm about a 14 right now (would be happy at about an 8 or 10) and it seems as though no one understands that a woman's waist goes IN and her hips go OUT. It's called an hourglass figure, you morons!!! Remember? What Marilyn Monroe had? Sheesh.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

I'm 4'10" and wear like a size....well the size doesn't matter. But I CAN NOT find 1 pair of pants to fit me. I'd shop in the petite section since I'm so short, but they don't have a petite plus size section. I could go to the expensive stores and pay hundreds of dollars there, then spend alot more money on hemming them... But I'm sorry I'm poor and can not afford that. I would really like to have a meeting with the designers!

I would like to show off my chest because that's the 1 part on my body I'm happy about.. but since I'm a little bigger- the designers feel they need to cover all that up?!?!
I totally agree!! It's insane what those designers are thinking! And the shorts and skirts they've come out with- sure, they're cute- but no way i'm wearing them up to my butt
that's just tacky! but then again i don't want them long and dragging the floor - i just want clothes that look normal and are cute ya know! I am pretty petite- but i do have a bit of a belly (it's where i carry all of my weight- i'm insuline resistant and have PCOS which makes you randomly gain weight reguardless of what you eat- so i'm working on that - geesh i went from a size 0 to a beached whale in less than 6 months i swear!
) ANYWAYS- the clothes made for short petite people are still too long on me and don't flatter my stomach in most stores. I did however find a few really cute tops at Charlotte Russe and Target that fit really well- accentuate my urrrr lady friends but slim down my stomach (gotta love that!) As far as pants- the ONLY blue jeans i used to have any luck with were Abercrombie & Fitch when i was younger- but now they're too expensive and now they don't seem to fit well since i've gained a little weight so i don't get them there anymore. (their petite used to fit me well as far as length goes because i'm soo short). Glo jeans seem to fit well too though and are a little stretchy as far as the fabric goes so you're not suffocating in them all day- i like them a lot. (i think i got mine at khols on sale or another dpt. store for around $20) I have yet to find ANY that i haven't had to have hemmed though -especially khakis or dressy black pants- forget it! i can never find a perfect fit! So i just get ones that fit on my waits/ legs well and let Colin hem the length ( He can sew really well
but don't tell him i told ya so
he'd never admit it
) Also - Khols and Macys seem to have a pretty good array of tops as well that aren't too pricy (hit the sales when they have them and you can get some really great deals!!!)

oh yeah and i hate it when people who make shorts forget that women have thighs
soooooo annoying!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also a plus size but am working on losing the weight, I just started back to Weight Watchers a few weeks ago but still need plus sizes for now. Believe it or not, I found a couple of really nice shirts at Sears of all places. One is a light denim and the other is a pretty beige and they are not ugly at all. Of course they have short sleeves, almost down to the elbow, I never wear sleeveless tops anymore, I hate my fat arms sticking out, don't need to flaunt that
Anyway there are some nice + sizes out there, you just have to look around. As far as pants, I still wear Missy sizes, don't need the + sizes for pants. I only bought two tops cuz I'm working on getting into some of my clothes that are hanging in the closet, I'm one of those who have all sizes hanging in the closet
Good luck finding some nice stuff.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi guys,

i'm plus size too and i have to say AMEN to this thread. but i wanted to share with you some good things.......kohls has some CUTE tops that have a wrap look to them with a v neck and as long as your boobs aren't too big, they really accentuate your curves no matter what size you are. They really look nice. and as for capris, i've found that as long as they are big enough so my butt isn't tight in them (i'm a petite) they go down to a pretty cute length on my legs that just show a couple of inches above my ankle, so it actually looks pretty cute with flip flops.

I have had OK luck at finding clothes that work for me, but dang - it's hard. i don't go shopping very often. i REALLY like 3/4 sleeves - they fit just about anyone correctly.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck, I know exactly how you feel, I'm 5"3' and I always have to hem my pants, jeans...I haven't worn jeans in ages, just cannot find the right fit so I don't wear them at all. In the summer I mostly wear capri pants.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Uggh. I hear your pain. One issue I had with Lane Bryant is the way that they would put ties in odd places, or put some kind of dang sequine or giant fabric flower on an otherwise OK skirt/blouse. I'm big, but I'm not a rose bowl float!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watch and order lots of stuff from QVC and HSN but never clothes cuz I just don't know what size to buy. I always have to try clothes on but yes these TV shops do have nice clothes for every size.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not plus sized but at a good wt like 120 I am a 2-4 on the bottom and 8-10 on top....

My beef is I have shoulders and a chest with a small waist and at the moment ample hips...lol.. i cant find pants to fit ,... I currently wear a 10-14 top and 8-12 bottoms at about 155 ... i often have to buy 1x shirts to get them accross my chest ( I am a 32dd / 34d not BIG ) but they make me swim at the bottom... evan a proper wt pants dont have enough theigh room( solid muscle thunders on me;(

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol well, i have always hated to shop. When i was fat, i hated shopping for colthes period.

I have never been able to to buy stuff out of the stores that fit, even when i was like 200 , i would have to get stuff over sized , caused nothing would fit in my shoulders.

The worset for me is shoes, i have big feet :p the only shoes company that normaly had shoes that would fit , moved to china, and now none of there old sizes fit anymore.

really, i think i will move some place always warm, and jsut go naked.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I just hate clothes shopping. They design women's clothing to look good on sticks because it is easier that trying to design something that makes a woman with curves look good.

I'm 5'3" and can't find a pair of pants that fit - they are too short (petite) or too long (regular).

But my biggest beef is the way they have been screwing with the sizes. You pull a 16 from three different racks and none of them fit - 2 are too big and the 3rd is too small.