Please share success stories about introducing a second cat.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My current cat, Sasha, is a sweet, shy 8 year old. She has always been timid so I have been wary with introducing her to any form of change.  However, due to various life circumstances, we have had to move around more than a few times.  To date, she has lived with me at 7 different locations.  However, she surprised me by easily adapting to each new place, always quickly becoming comfortable.  About 2 years ago, she surprised me even more by taking to my roommate when she used to be scared of strangers.  She even comes out to hang out with guests nowadays, when in the past she used to hide whenever she heard strangers.  

Anyways, I have always wanted to get Sasha a cat friend to make sure that she isn't lonely.  However, I have been hesitating because there is no guarantee that Sasha will like this new cat and I know that not all cats need feline companionship.  Also, Sasha has been an only cat her whole life.   However, she has really surprised me by her adaptability and sudden interest in new people.  (Side question: does a cat's personality change as they age?  Sasha used to be super timid and now she's almost adventurous.)

Long story short, my family took in a stray cat.  This cat is probably younger than one year and is definitely a stray as it was very skinny before my family started feeding him.  My family aren't really pet people and was looking for an out.  If I don't take the cat, they will bring him to the humane society or let him go back to roaming outside.  I AGONIZED about this decision, but finally decided to take the cat.  I mean, I would love to have another cat but   am worried about Sasha's well being.    

So my main purpose in taking this cat in is not to have him and Sasha become best friends, although that would be ideal, but to be able to provide him with a happy, safe forever home.  My goal is for Sasha and the new cat to tolerate each other.  

So, please share your success stories with integrating a new cat into your current cat family.  I am extremely worried and I have obsessed over how to facilitate the long, slow process.  The new cat will be getting shots, neutered etc, before meeting Sasha.  I know that they might not be best friends but I just want to read stories where it has worked out between the cats.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's my story:

I got my Aby when he was 3 months old. From the beginning he clearly needed a friend because he demanded constant attention. I actually was supposed to get two Abys but the one of the kittens developed a health issue and the breeder advised me not to take it. Three months later I contacted a rescue group and asked if they had a similar age cat who might get along well with my Aby. They said they had several potential cats and directed me to their web site for pictures and info. They had an upcoming meet and greet at a local pet store which I went to. I went just to look and ended up taking a tuxedo DMH home. The cat was just a few weeks older than my Aby. Once home, I let the new cat out of the carrier and immediately my Aby went nuts (i.e., super excited) and wanted to play. Not surprisingly the new cat hissed and slunk back into the carrier. I put her into the bathroom that had been set up with a litter box, food, water, and toys and closed the door. The cats could smell and hear each other from under the door. I only kept the new cat in the bathroom for a few days before I let her out. Surprisingly, there was no fighting or hissing between the two cats. Both got along well from the start. I think being only 6 months old helped as it's easier for younger cats to accept new friends. I didn't use Feliway or anything like that during the first few weeks of having a second cat.

Both cats are 4 now and still get along well. They're not best friends as in cuddling wtih each other and stuff but I'm ok with that. Occasionally they'll squabble for a minute over who knows what.

My cats might just be strange
Many other cats need very slow introductions to new cats and the use of Feliway and other things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay, thanks for sharing!  I know that I won't get that lucky with my upcoming introduction.  When the neighbor's cat meows to my cat while they're both in their respective window seats, she doesn't even acknowledge it!