Please recommend product to deter clawing of furniture

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two energetic young Ocicats. They are indoor cats, not declawed and even though they have a scratching post and we keep their claws well trimmed, sudden bursts of energy often resut in clawed furniture fabric.

We know they mean no harm but we have a newly upholstered armchair that we want to preserve against clawing. Can anyone recommend a safe, pleasant solution, i.e. a spray that can be effective without causing any distress to either cats or humans?

I do not want to keep the cats off the furniture, just deter them from clawing it. This product, No Scratch, appears to be a viable organic solution:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=1093

but I'd be grateful for any advice or recommendations, as I'm not even taking delivery of the chair until I have some kind of strategy.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're off to a good start by trimming nails and providing a scratching post, some of the things I was going to recommend
. Make sure the post is really sturdy - if it tips and "scoots" along the floor when your cats use it, it can discourage them from using it often. It should also preferably be made of sisal rather than carpeting.

A product I used years ago with success is call Sticky Paws. It's just long, thin strips of double-sided tape that can be applied directly to upholstery without damaging it. Apply the strips to the specific areas your cats will be likely to scratch. It sure did the trick for my then 3 month old Rocky. He never scratched the side of my couch again.

I think I bought it at one of the large pet supply stores. I'm sure it's also on-line. It was about $15 for a good sized package of tape (the long strips are on a type of cardboard, ready to peel-off). I only had to use a few for it to be effective.

Hope this helps.

mramf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest this product called Soft Paws, sometimes also called Soft "Claws" (though they are made by the same people). I've used them on both of my cats, and they work out great. You glue them over the cat's claws and will fall out naturally when the nails are shed.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft paws can be a horrific experience though if you have a spazzy kitten and are working alone. Grab your cats paw and see how she reacts to you holding it for 10 seconds. If you can't, then I'd recommend checking out cat-clips, which basically just clip onto their scruff which immobilizes many cats, and then you can put the soft paws on PROPERLY. There are also cat-bags you can use, but a little less convenient IMO. Some cats will let you wrap them in a towel tight, but no chance with Buttercup.

Otherwise, you can end up getting it stuck to your own finger more often than not, it not being on all the way, or getting some of their toe-fur stuck in with the glue which hurts them when they walk until the fur rips out or they chew it off.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bahger

We have two energetic young Ocicats. They are indoor cats, not declawed and even though they have a scratching post and we keep their claws well trimmed, sudden bursts of energy often resut in clawed furniture fabric.

We know they mean no harm but we have a newly upholstered armchair that we want to preserve against clawing. Can anyone recommend a safe, pleasant solution, i.e. a spray that can be effective without causing any distress to either cats or humans?

I do not want to keep the cats off the furniture, just deter them from clawing it. This product, No Scratch, appears to be a viable organic solution:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=1093

but I'd be grateful for any advice or recommendations, as I'm not even taking delivery of the chair until I have some kind of strategy.
I know this is not an attractive option but it worked with my hyperactive F3 Savannah. Anyway I put Duck Tape sticky side up on any place my Loki wanted to claw. He quickly learned not to do that

Also I clip his nails on a weekly basis since he was about six months old. At a year old his front nails are trimmed back very far. He now has pleasantly blunt nails. Have no fear folks he still climbs my home and me like a monkey

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several appropriate scratching surfaces are preferable.

I offer a scratching post with carpet (the indoor/outdoor carpet type), one wrapped in sisal.
A turbo scratcher, and another flat, cardboard surface, plus a large cardboard box or two.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sticky Paws double sided tape put on the preferred clawing spots on both upholstered and wood furniture cured my 5 cats. I had to leave it on 2-4 months - depending on the stubbornness of the cat.

No need to clip their claws, stick plastic on their claws, or scuff them, if you use this product. It is sold by the big pet store chains and Amazon.

Also, a variety of sturdy cat scratchers, both vertical and horizontal, and providing carpet, sisal cloth, and cardboard surfaces (prime with catnip) help solve this problem.

Robin

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ehh, I'd recommend clipping their claws anyway, whatever you did, because of how a claw can get stuck in the carpeting. One time Tiny caught a claw in the carpet, and while tugging to get it out I think he sprained his toe--his foot was sore for days after that. He's fine now, but ever since that I've made sure to keep on top of claw-clipping.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of those never ending areas of controversy. All I can say is that I have had many cats over the last 50+ years. I have never clipped their claws, and no mishaps because of that has ever happened to any of them.

So my little dears won't ever have to go through that.

R.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They get used to it. Mine will sit still for it--they don't like it, but it doesn't traumatize them. And so long as they're not traumatized, I'll keep on clipping those claws.

Maybe your carpet isn't particularly problematic. I know that some types of carpet are made with twisted loops of material; others with single strands that aren't loops. I'm willing to bet that the looped sort of carpet is the kind cats can catch their claws in--that's the sort I had at my old place and they caught their claws in it occasionally. I didn't figure it was a problem until Tiny actually hurt himself.

So yeah, if your cats are catching their claws on stuff, then start clipping. If not, then you've probably got either graceful cats or non-problematic carpeting, and you're lucky not to have to clip claws while being given dirty looks by the local felines.