Please! Need Help And Advice About Caring For Parvo/panleukopenia Cat?

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm very new here in this forum. In fact, I just registered a few minutes ago just to ask for advice. First off, I'm sorry if my English is terrible, I am from south-east Asia actually.

So a week after I took my cat to the vet for neutering, she got infected with parvo. She wasn't vaccinated, I couldn't find the time to bring her to the vet (my own fault :(:(). Took her to the vet and he said it's parvo. So it's been two weeks since she was diagnosed with it. I'm still force feeding her. About last week, she started drinking a bit, and also started eating small amounts of canned food. I thought she was getting better but then I noticed she went back to not eating/drinking. But if I opened a fresh can of catfood, she would eat some, but only that. Today I bought 2 cans of Hill's Prescription diet restorative care and she doesn't like it at all so I had to feed using syringe. I am very worried seeing her very thin body. Does anyone have any experience caring for a parvo cat? Anything else that I should give her? And do you think she's going to make it :( :(. This is my first time dealing with this disease. I have read that it is very deadly but I want to try my best for her.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How old is she? Cats over eight weeks of age have a much better chance of recovery after Felinepanleukopenia (called FP for short, not to be confused with FIP). Additionally, if a cat survives for five days after contracting the virus, their prognosis improves greatly. It sounds like you are doing a good job caring for her, with FP cats it is critically important to make sure that they get the proper nutrition and do not become dehydrated. Continue feeding her with a syringe if she refuses to eat on her own and be sure that she is keeping hydrated. Leave many water bowls out and give her water through a syringe. If you have any other cats, they need to be separated from her. I've met someone before who had two cats recover from FP, so it is possible! Hopefully some other posters will have some more tips and ideas for you. You and your sweet kitty are in my thoughts and prayers. :hearthrob::redheartpump:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow....I'm very sorry to read about your sick kitty. I thought that FPV had been virtually wiped out due to years of vaccinations. I had to read up a bit, but sounds like your kitty is very likely to pull through this.

This article is somewhat clinical (Overview of Feline Panleukopenia - Generalized Conditions - Veterinary Manual), but the key take away I got was this line, "The duration of this self-limiting illness is seldom >5–7 days. Mortality is highest in young kittens <5 mo old." That sounds like if your cat has pulled through the first week of the illness, then just keep feeding her like you have been. Make sure to mix plenty of water into the food. Some Pedialyte (electrolyte solution) wouldn't hurt...ask your vet.

I'll pray and send good thoughts your way for a full recovery. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
abyeb abyeb I think she is around 6-7 months (not exactly sure since she appeared out of nowhere at my house). But I did ask a vet to estimate her age, and he said it was around that. But she has a small body and looks more like a kitten rather than an adult. I have 4 other cats. I kept this one in a cage together with food, water and litter box. The cage is quite spacious. I tried my best not to let the other cats come near this cage, but since I am a student who is mostly at the lab, I just can pray that the rest don't get infected. I wanted to take the others for vaccination but I just couldn't find the time. Been quite busy with lab work as I am trying to finish my masters degree this year. Thanks for the prayers!

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
orange&white orange&white It's my fault really. I couldn't find the time to bring her to the vet for vaccination. My older sister was the one who took her to get fixed. She is kind of an indoor cat. She only plays in the lawn, but that's it. So I thought she would be fine, just like my other cats. But there are other stray cats that I feed, and my vet thinks perhaps one of them carries the virus. I hope she recovers. It's been two weeks. Thanks for the prayers!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a separate room that you can put the cage in with the door closed? That would really be the best way that you can keep your other cats safe.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't worry about that now. That article says that most healthy, un-immunized cats carry enough antibodies to prevent illness. I would think that immunity would be passed down from mother to baby...but that doesn't help the current situation. Anyway, don't feel guilty. Just focus on getting your kitty through this. How old is she?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can't worry about that now. That article says that most healthy, un-immunized cats carry enough antibodies to prevent illness. I would think that immunity would be passed down from mother to baby...but that doesn't help the current situation. Anyway, don't feel guilty. Just focus on getting your kitty through this. How old is she?
This is true, personally I would just be super cautious. The person I met who had cats infected with FP had one cat who infected the other two cats, granted, this might have been an unusual case (two cats recovered :), the other did not :sniffle: :(:bawling2:)

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a separate room that you can put the cage in with the door closed? That would really be the best way that you can keep your other cats safe.
Since the rest of the cats usually hang out in the house, so I put her at the porch. I thought about putting her inside, but the cage is too big to pass through the door.

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is true, personally I would just be super cautious. The person I met who had cats infected with FP had one cat who infected the other two cats, granted, this might have been an unusual case (two cats recovered :), the other did not :sniffle: :(:bawling2:)
How did that person treat his/her FP cats? I ordered some supplements online that claims to boost immune and can be given to FP cats. Has yet to receive but I hope it'll help.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were both posting at the same time (posts #6 & #7) so it may have looked like I was disagreeing. I definitely agree that the sick cat should be quarantined from the healthy cats. FPV is rare, but highly contagious....no reason to take chances.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How did that person treat his/her FP cats? I ordered some supplements online that claims to boost immune and can be given to FP cats. Has yet to receive but I hope it'll help.
I think it was just a matter of vet care. Unfortunately, I don't have contact with this person anymore, I am the kind of person who likes to talk to cat people whenever I meet them, so this was just a 20 minute conversation really, and I didn't get the owner's contact info. So sorry about that!

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it was just a matter of vet care. Unfortunately, I don't have contact with this person anymore, I am the kind of person who likes to talk to cat people whenever I meet them, so this was just a 20 minute conversation really, and I didn't get the owner's contact info. So sorry about that!
I see..well that's okay. I dont know why but this morning (here at my place it is currently8 am) when I looked at her while trying to force feed her, I just have a feeling like she won't make it. But I'm still trying my best. I definitely wont be able to focus today in lab :(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry. Can you ask your veterinarian about "lactated Ringer’s solution with calculated potassium supplementation". That is suggested fluid replacement treatment from the veterinary manual. The vet may be able to show you how to administer at home.

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry. Can you ask your veterinarian about "lactated Ringer’s solution with calculated potassium supplementation". That is suggested fluid replacement treatment from the veterinary manual. The vet may be able to show you how to administer at home.
I'll try. Thank you for the suggestion

ainal89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to introduce her. Here she is when she was healthy of course. Her name is Dora :)

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh! Hi, Dora! She is beautiful. She's all eyes. :lovecat3: Really pretty markings too.

All right, Miss Dora. You've got to get to feeling better soon.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, she's adorable. My heart melts just looking at that picture. :rbheart:
Dora, you can pull through this, I believe in you!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Your little kitty is precious! I agree that keeping her hydrated is very important. If u cannot access unflavored Pedialyte, you can make a substitute; there are good recipes at WWW.kitten-rescue.com and on W.H.O. (world health organization) website. You can also ask your vet to try an antibiotic to help her fight off any secondary infections. My vet has me use L.ysine and has approved my using herbs - I know that there are online holistic vets, if your vet isn't familiar with using herbs. Prayers that she makes a complete recovery and that your other kitties stay healthy as well as blessings for you for giving sanctuary to a lost,lonely cat in need.