Please Help

tunabreath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone...I'm new and I really need some help.

Our family adopted two six-month old kitties on Halloween. Well...that worked out so well....we adopted two more cats from the Humane Society yesterday. This is not working out well.

First of all, after reading around the forum and reading the advice about introducing new cats...I realize I've done everything wrong. My resident kitties now know there are two new cats in the house and they are MAD. They are even growling at one another when they are out in the living room together.

The two new ones we brought home...one is about 8 years old and the other is about one year. They were in the same pen together at the Humane Society, but the older one just likes to keep to herself---she is probably a one-person, one-cat household kitty...which I didn't know when I decided to bring her home. She's not aggressive...hissing and growling....but no outward signs of wanting to actually physically fight.

My two resident kitties are so distraught and I feel so guilty. I don't know what to do. I hate the thought of taking the new ones back...I've just really goofed. I don't know what to do. Can someone give me some advice? It breaks my heart to see my resident kitties get so stressed they are hissing and growling at one another.

Please email me with replies: [email protected]

Thanks!
--TunaBreath (Nancy)

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!
So glad you joined us and look forward to getting to know you better!
You present wonderful questions, and you may want to ask them in our Behavior Forum where our experts will be sure to see them! This article and this thread may be helpful for you. Please feel free to ask us anything at all! I would be so happy to help you in any way as you learn your way around the site. Please, simply click on my user name and send me a Private Message!

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TunaBreath, you did a good thing rescuing two new cats. I'm sure you can work things out with the help of the experts on this forum. Someone should e-mail you within the next 24 hours. If not, send me a private message and I'll try and find some people to give you advice.

In the meantime, welcome to TCS!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

First of all, take a DEEP breath! One day certainly isn't enough time for the kitties to get used to having new roommates.

Start over using the introduction advice here. It isn't too late to do it right, even though the resident kitties already know there are new ones there.

I'll move this to Behavior for you.

allissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TunaBreath

Hi Everyone...I'm new and I really need some help.

Our family adopted two six-month old kitties on Halloween. Well...that worked out so well....we adopted two more cats from the Humane Society yesterday. This is not working out well.

First of all, after reading around the forum and reading the advice about introducing new cats...I realize I've done everything wrong. My resident kitties now know there are two new cats in the house and they are MAD. They are even growling at one another when they are out in the living room together.

The two new ones we brought home...one is about 8 years old and the other is about one year. They were in the same pen together at the Humane Society, but the older one just likes to keep to herself---she is probably a one-person, one-cat household kitty...which I didn't know when I decided to bring her home. She's not aggressive...hissing and growling....but no outward signs of wanting to actually physically fight.

My two resident kitties are so distraught and I feel so guilty. I don't know what to do. I hate the thought of taking the new ones back...I've just really goofed. I don't know what to do. Can someone give me some advice? It breaks my heart to see my resident kitties get so stressed they are hissing and growling at one another.

Please email me with replies: [email protected]

Thanks!
--TunaBreath (Nancy)
I would wait and see if it all works out. Cats hiss when introduced, it's normal. When I introduced second cat my older cat was hissing like crazy for a few days. Since they are not fighting physically, you could wait and see if they get used to it. Buy some Feliway, it is supposed to calm cats down.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is woderful that you have brought all these lucky kitties into your life.....
Don't worry about the kitties...i think they will be fine....I according to this site introduced my kitties all wrong...they took there few days of hissing and anger...then it became curiosity...then eventually they became 3 loving cats who adore eachother...Just like people all cats are different..with different personalities...let them have there time to grumble and moap, and in a few days I am sure you will see an improvement

P.S. cant wait to see pics of your cats