Please Help

vdarcey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a senior cat that I love, she is 20+ yrs old and going strong. BUT, she turns into Evil Cat at night. She wakes me up at all hours and has been peeing on a section of my hardwood floors. I have done everything I know; multiple cat boxes (I have another cat), feliway, removal of a carpet which I thought was attracting her, and it goes on and on and on. Does ANYBODY have any suggestions? I am beyond discouraged and tired!!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At age 20 any change in behavior requires a visit to the vet ASAP and a full senior blood work panel. She could have health issues developing or even dementia. Once you get an evaluation from the vet you will know better how to proceed. If nothing is found then you can try things like leaving lights on since a senior cats vision may decline or they may get confused about where they are at night. You can try laying down puppy pads at the spot on the floor where she has been urinating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vdarcey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At age 20 any change in behavior requires a visit to the vet ASAP and a full senior blood work panel. She could have health issues developing or even dementia. Once you get an evaluation from the vet you will know better how to proceed. If nothing is found then you can try things like leaving lights on since a senior cats vision may decline or they may get confused about where they are at night. You can try laying down puppy pads at the spot on the floor where she has been urinating.
I just had her to the vet to do all of the above...no red flags. Dont puppy pads attract pet to urinate there? I am trying to discourage behavior.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that getting in and out of her litterbox is getting painful for her, so you can try shallower pans but sometimes with seniors you aren’t going to get a return to consistent use of the litterbox. So a puppy pad if she will use it is an easy cleanup and a way to protect your floors.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe try cleaning her litter boxes in the evenings so that she'll have clean litter boxes throughout the night?

Also you said she pees in one section of your floor...what if you place a litter box at that spot? And if she pees inside the litter box, then you can move it gradually to the original spot where you want it to be?

vdarcey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
maybe...what about these scat mats?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think zapping a 20-year-old cat is going to get you good results. What if she turns to peeing on the couch?

Old cats are old. I'm sure you want people to be compassionate to you when you get old.

Bed pads made for humans are just like puppy pads but don't have any attractants. You could give those a try.

vdarcey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe try cleaning her litter boxes in the evenings so that she'll have clean litter boxes throughout the night?

Also you said she pees in one section of your floor...what if you place a litter box at that spot? And if she pees inside the litter box, then you can move it gradually to the original spot where you want it to be?
yes I have thought about that...honestly I think she is doing it out of spite...when I don't get up at 4am!!!
I don't think zapping a 20-year-old cat is going to get you good results. What if she turns to peeing on the couch?

Old cats are old. I'm sure you want people to be compassionate to you when you get old.

Bed pads made for humans are just like puppy pads but don't have any attractants. You could give those a try.
Trust me, my husband and I have been most compassionate with this old girl. I raised her from a wee kitten in my hand, and, she has already peed on the couch many times. I have had her checked by vet 2x. I will look into pads but still looking for some remedy to get her to simply stop peeing on the floor. She is very spry and knows what she is doing. If I give her carte blanche to peeing there it will most certainly become her go to and quite possibly she could do it all the time. Right now its just at night. thx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, if I had the answer I could make a lot of money selling that answer to cat owners!

My childhood cat only peed on pads from age 16 until she died at age 21. It's not so much worse than a litterbox. Maybe if you put a pad near the litterbox she'd use that instead of the middle of the floor.

vdarcey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hehe, if I had the answer I could make a lot of money selling that answer to cat owners!

My childhood cat only peed on pads from age 16 until she died at age 21. It's not so much worse than a litterbox. Maybe if you put a pad near the litterbox she'd use that instead of the middle of the floor.
that's a thought Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would honestly try a few things. One I would cut an entrance into a large litter box or tub so the front side was only an inch or two max (so arthritic cats don't have to climb in.) then I would place puppy pads all around and under the box..... making sure to place the pads/box where she is peeing (after you clean it up with an enzyme cleaner.) It will catch litter plus cleaning up puppy pads is easier then cleaning up pee puddles. Next I would clean her box at night. Lastly I would put a night light or two in my room and leave the hallway light on (and that she has a light in the room that she pees.)

If she was my cat I would lock her in my room at night with the night lights and special box/pads (plus water and a plate of wet food in case she gets hungry. Many senior cats have a hard time eating and need wet food only.) Give her all the love you can, you will miss her when she is gone. I would take pee on the floor anyway to have my bud back with me. I just recently lost him, and yeah love her while you can. They leave way to early.

Do not shock your cat! :angrywoman: Who the blank came up with that idea? Someone who hates cats! :fireblob: