Please help

stephie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am really hoping someone can help me, i have a beautiful flamepoint boy named ollie, he is about a year and a half. When we got him, the girl selling him didnt seem very emotionally stable. A short while after we got him home and got him settled we noticed he was chewing up our phone chargers, chewing them in to tiny little pieces. Well the charger chewing seemed to stopped then suddenly our lives got a little hectic. In june 2014 ollie boarded a plane for arizona from alaska with my boyfriend to start out new journey to our new life(we grew up in alaska and needed a change, i stayed behind for a few months cause of work)he lived in arizona untill october when we put him in the truck and drove to oregon where we now live. We have been setteled in our new home for 4 months now and lately weve notice alot of charger chewing going on, not to mention he has peed on our bed a few weeks ago and a pair of my pants just this evening. About a month after we moved in we brought home a kitten named george, at first they werent too sure of each other but afrer a week or two they had become the best of buds so i dont rhink that has anything to do with it but i dont know too much about cats. My problem is if i cant figure out away to get the chewing and peeing to stop i will have no choice but to adot him out to someone that knows how to deal with these particular problems. I dont want to lose my cat but never in my life have i ever had a cat chew up wires/cords and i have only experienced the out of box peeing with a very old cat and with friends that had cats where no one took care of thier boxes so they got mad and peed on thier clothes. I come from a family where the pets we had we got when they were just weeks old and had untill it was there time to go, i dont want to give up on my kitty, someone please help

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First you need to take Ollie to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a uti.  A behavioral change should always be checked to make sure it's not medical.

Second, are both cats fixed?

How many litter boxes do you have?  How often do you clean them?  Do you use enzyme cleaner on areas he has peed inappropriately?  If not, he can still smell the old spots and associate them with bathroom areas.

Chewing wires is a common cat problem.  There are things you can put on them to discourage him for now.  There is sour apple pet deterrent, but you can also get wire covers.

Do you play with your cats every day so they have an outlet for their energy?  Do they have things to climb?  If not, he may be bored, which can lead to destructive behavior.

These sound like normal cat issues that you can overcome with a bit of work!

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a oriental and a siamese and both chewed on power cable wires and then out grew it. if your cat is along the lines of the same breed they do seem to have a thing for chewing cables. also talkingpeanut has some good points and I agree taking him to the vet would be a good idea as from what I have been told male cats do get UTIs more then females.

On a side note it could be all the new stuff that has been going on that has triggered his chewing again and are you sure it's him peeing and not the other kitty?

anmllvr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just want to add that if you don't have an enzyme cleaner, there is a really inexpensive way to clean cat urine.  And a thorough cleaning is needed, because once the smell is there they will see it as a place to pee. 

Here is what you will need:

Baking Soda
White Vinegar
Dishwashing Detergent (Dish Soap)
3 % Hydrogen Peroxide (10Vol)

Soak up all the urine that you can.  Then spray the area thoroughly with vingar/water (1:1 ratio).  Then sop up the excess as much as possible.  Sprinkle baking soda over the affected area.  Then mix 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxdie with a teaspoon of dish soap (you can skip the soap if you desire) and pour that gently over the baking soda and work it in with a brush or your (gloved) fingers.  Let dry. Once it is COMPLETELY dried, vacuum it up.  No more odor . Note that peroxide over 3% can bleach  carpet/fabrics. 

I got this from http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm

I used it on mattresses, pillows, quilts, and carpets when my cat had urinary crystals and was peeing everywhere.  It cleaned up even old dried stains with no problem.  

The vinegar neutralizes the ammonia and the baking soda will also help remove the smell. The peroxide kills any bacteria that might  otherwise bring that smell back to life.

Hope that helps.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I've never had a cat that chewed wires that wasn't easy to fix, but I did have a friend with a Siamese mix that would chew cords until the metal came out and would eat the metal. Nothing worked so they took the poor thing to the vet ready to put it down. The vet told them the cat had something called "pica" and was believed to be spured because he was anemic (his iron was very low). Dietary changes changed the whole situation and my friend was able to look at her car in a whole knew light, bonding like they never had in years. Believe me, most of us know how it feels to be at wits end with a loved pet.

Other medical signs of the crazy chewing and eating can be things like:
-Feline leukemia
-Immunodeficiency illnesses
-Depression or Compulsive disorder (you said the previous owner was unstable, maybe he was abused?)

Try to get a vet to check all these things out and see if that helps! I also agree that the peeing could come from a UTI, but I've known a few cats with bipolar disorder who started peeing on their keeper's things when they would have a depressive swing.

I'll be keeping you two in my thoughts!

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally agree with other posters in getting kitties checked by a vet incase of UTI.
The peeing on owners bed is said to be separation anxiety they try to mingle their scent with your's. One of mine peed on my bed when I was delayed coming home one evening by several hours, then again a year later when I went back to work after a long holiday at home.
It is worth getting an additional litter box for sure esp if there's a place kitties keeps peeing that's on ground level. I have found this totally effective when one of my 2 started peeing under a window. I noticed a neighbouring cat was coming in the garden stressing them out so they were marking territory. Putting a new box on the spot she peed on resolved this totally. And keep the litter boxes clean this is super important. Also try an antibacterial litter like CatSan if you don't already.
It may be worth trying some Feliway diffusers and spray although can be expensive depending on size of your home. As an alternative; Bach Rescue Remedy as drops in the water bowl or even dabbed on their ears is really effective at reducing stress and anxiety.I use the night time version as it's alcohol free. They both love the taste and race to the water fountain when they hear me opening the bottle!
I do hope you get this sorted. You sound like you love them so much so I really hope it all works out for you all.

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and charger lead chewing seems normal ! One of mine the female cat loves chewing leads and I have to try hide phone chargers etc from her view. Esp white colour chargers. To the point I had to go out of my way to buy a green charger lead for my iPhone when she had chewed up the last 2 official leads within minutes of first using them as both those were white lol

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I meant common, not normal. Having re-read the above post from Mamma Wolf i will ask my vet to check her for iron deficiency when they go for yearly booster next month.