Please Help. Vets Can’t Diagnose Our Kitten

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

We adopted a 4 mo male cat almost 2 weeks ago. We named him Bowie due to his different eye colors :) The first day we had him, he had slightly hair loss on top of his eyes which we thought some cats had it. We were seperating him from our resident cat so in the morning when I went to check him out, his light spots were bleeding, so I took him to the vet. The vet said it looked like flea or medication allergies so they gave him an anti itching shot and sent us home. After that the nightmare begin... Whenever we put him in the room in the night, the next morning we woke up to a new wound where we ended up taking him to emergency vet. Meanwhile we got in touch with the shelter asked them any information they knew but they said he was a healthy kitten, had all of his shots and probably his immune system went down after traveling (he flew from spain to the netherlands). The emergency vet couldn’t identify his wounds either. She found a couple of earmites and checked for parasites from the wounds but said she was not sure if he had parasites so randomly gave 2 different drops and sent us back home. Of course not being satisfied and having another cat at home, we went to a third vet who again did not know anything!! and took samples from his wounds to check for ringworms or fungal infections after we insisted. The results will be back in 2-4 weeks. We don’t know if me and my husband are infected or have passed anything to our resident cat either. Waiting is making us crazy especially if it turns out now being a fungal infection too. Some of my friends told me it looked like Demodex but he already had parasite drops before and after we adopted him so it’s odd that he still has new spots coming out. Now our little Bowie is sitting in the room alone with an e-cone so he can’t scratch his wounds. Yesterday a woman from the shelter got in touch with me and told me the family that adopted Bowie’s brother was starting to have the same problems but not bad as Bowie’s. Can anyone who had a previous identification from a vet take a look at the pictures and help us out? Bowie has wounds on his paws too by the way. (Fluffy cat is his brother)

F92876B3-6B00-45EB-8074-71F612FA10A2.jpeg
BBF12FCC-7CAB-4CCB-B7E7-6CE9CE4405E4.jpeg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear that your cat is going through this. Thank you for caring for him. I’m glad you came to TCS for help. We have a lot of knowledgeable cat lovers here, so I think together we can help you figure this out.

I wonder if this could be caused by some
allergy, to food or to a cleaning product. Maybe that’s a possibility you could ask your vet about. Other posters will probably be able to give you more advice; I’m by no means an expert in medical matters.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be Demodex. Demodex mites are found on all cats (and dogs, and humans, etc.) as part of their biome, but it's only when their immune system is compromised that the mites can take over. Many kittens and puppies who get a Demodex outbreak will get a stronger immune system as they get older and so will "outgrow" the Demodex. Hopefully that will happen to him. Do you know if the "anti-itch" shot the vet gave him was steroids? Steroids suppress the immune system, maybe that's part of the problem.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adorable kitty! I like the name you picked. 2-4 weeks seems like a long time to get results from the vet. I'm no veterinarian and never experienced this with my cats but below is an article on the causes of Alopecia. Maybe Bowie needs blood work? Are cats with two different color eyes prone to any genetic diseases that cause Alopecia? Maybe something to look into? I pray Bowie and you get some answers and help soon!

Why is My Cat Losing Hair? Hair Loss in Cats | petMD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb thank you so much! we thought of food allergies and asked the vet too but one of them said he was too young to have food allergies :(

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
W Willowy Thank you soooo much for your response! Ooooh I hope he can outgrow it! How horrible it is now I’m actually hoping it might be Demodex...
Do you know if the "anti-itch" shot the vet gave him was steroids? Steroids suppress the immune system, maybe that's part of the problem.
She told me it was a “harmless” shot but we do think it can be stereoids. We are also giving him now an immune system booster vitamin called Puur Echina.

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vikinggirl34 vikinggirl34 Thank you <3

2-4 weeks seems like a long time to get results from the vet.
Ugh, I know! I moved to the Netherlands last year and the animal health system has disappointed me big time! I feel like they are not paying enough attention without the guardians guiding them.

I'm no veterinarian and never experienced this with my cats but below is an article on the causes of Alopecia. Maybe Bowie needs blood work? Are cats with two different color eyes prone to any genetic diseases that cause Alopecia? Maybe something to look into? I pray Bowie and you get some answers and help soon!

Why is My Cat Losing Hair? Hair Loss in Cats | petMD
They did zero blood works! They didn’t found it necessary... Thank you for your response and the article, I’m going to read it right away.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can the vet do a skin scraping to check for any kind of demodex or other skin condition? I would also suggest going to a limited ingredient diet in case it's a food intolerance and move to a natural litter such as corn or wheat and see if that helps.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You want to rule out stress...Bowie has been with you for only 2 weeks. Most cats dont do well with kids if you have them. Such an amazing looking kitty :) If you care about this cat ask your vet for blood work or give him to me :p

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had similar problems with 2 unrelated cats, I used tried Clotrimazole cream, which you can buy otc at most stores. It for athletes foot. I used a q-tip to apply and made sure it was completely rubbed in. If it's ringworm about 3 applications a day will clear it up. The other cat I used diluted apple cider vinegar 3 times a day and wiped all spots of hair loss and or irritated areas, both worked within a week. I stopped seeing more spots and within 2 weeks hair was filling back in. Personally I preferred the vinegar as it is natural and has the flea repellent in addition. 50-50 on the vinegar and water. Just my .02 worth. Proud poppa to 19 furbabies, most rescues and rehabed ferals.

kittymaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like a ringwormy sort of thing to me, but the kind of ringworm that affects usually fluoresces under black lights and testing is pretty much immediate because of that. Has he been put under a woods lamp? Are they actually "wounds" , or just places where the fur is coming away in clumps? Ears / nose / paws are all prime targets for ringworm.

If he came from a shelter, odds are it's ringworm infested. You have to be really clean with ringworm, and the spores go everywhere and can bring down entire catteries with sores. Interesting that you chose to get a kitten from Spain? Adopting without ever seeing the place the kittens come from can be a huge issue. For all you know it's infested with a gazillion different parasites, etc.

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
stephanietx stephanietx 2 of the vets did the skin scraping and one came out from the lab laughing saying she could not find parasite related stuff but was not sure so did 2 different drops in case later it turns out to be parasites. We sort of eliminated the possibility of food allergy since his brother is having the same symptoms in a different house right now. But I will definitely check the litter options. Thank you so much!

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lalka Lalka Oh we don’t have any children. But we are trying our best to make sure our other cat doesn’t harrass him through the door. Thank you <3 Oh hell no I’m not going to give Bowie to you or anyone :D But we will insist on the blood work like we did for the fungus test. Thank you so much for your reply!

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
centerfire centerfire Oh wow! I’m so happy they worked on your kitties and now they are doing good! We are currently using otc athletes foot cream too but we are not sure if he’s responding to it. All the wounds are covered with scabs right now but we don’t know if it’s the cream or because he can’t scratch them right now due to the e-cone. On the other hand new spots rising on his paws makes us still wonder. I will definitely try the vinegar solution. There is no harm in switching to apple cider vinegar treatment too. And 19 furbabies!? You’re my idol right now!!

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K kittymaow No :( They haven’t put him under a woods lamp. I’m not sure if they even have all the equipments here to test the Ringworm because 1-There are literally no stray animals here in the streets 2-Ringworm is not so common in the Netherlands. They are wounds, mostly happened from scratching them. It started as hair loss but we didn’t know it was itching until it started bleeding and we caught him scratching them. He loses 3-5 hairs at a time attached to the scab. They look like individual eyelash extensions.

The animal foundation here in The Netherlands is working with 1-2 animal shelters in Spain. We saw Bowie’s picture on the Dutch adoption site, we fell in love with him. Since we adopted our first kitty through the animal foundation here (but he didn’t came from Spain) we trusted them. But apparently Bowie was less healthy compared to our first one.

Well trusting them was a mistake obviously so all we can do is hope Bowie has a diagnosis and after treatments he can be healthy again. Thank you for sparing time and replying!

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is ringworm,then it will burn itself in a few weeks. But the vinegar seemed to dry up the places and they scabbed over. After a few days the scabs came off and they had pink bare spots but it didn't take long for the hair to grow back. It just takes being constant with the treatment. It took a few days before I could see a difference, oh by the way, if it is ringworm they can share it with you. Lol from experience.

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
centerfire centerfire It’s been 1 week since we started the athlete’s foot cream. I will keep an eye on the scabs to see how they are going after the vinegar treatment. Oh yeah unfortunately I know that from my past experiences from petting stray cats :D

loyjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’d like to give an update in case someone like me is going through the site and trying to find an answer to their kitties with same wounds. Bowie’s test results came positive to ringworm. Since the vet literally didn’t know how to treat ringworm (it’s a very rare case apparently in the Netherlands) she read treatments online but thank god the lab sent us his medicine Itrafungol. Hopefully he becomes better and thank you all again for helping me out here! Sending much love.