Please help! Two kittens with coccidia!

aselmam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand the frustration with vets. I an a vet tech and I stopped working with a vet because he would over charge and charge for unnecessary test that sometimes weren't even ran. I learned the one thing you may not should ever say is "do whatever it takes ". If he saw you drive up in a nice car or knew you had money he would rip people off. Ask a lot of questions and get quotes from other vets. I hate to be taken advantage of myself and I always said to myself, what if that was my grandmother being done that way. Hope this was helpful and didn't make you more upset

angeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, here is a quick update:

Yesterday was LeeLoo's 2nd birthday. She is doing wonderfully!! We did change vets after taking her to the old vet 4 times (Ironically because the original vet was the vet of a friend at church & on FB, she has not spoken to me and has unfriended me - gotta love the immature behavior rampant nowadays). The new vet gave LeeLoo amoxicillin, that did the trick.

I do use a probiotic for LeeLoo. We do have 2 other cats (neat story, one little kitten was found in the car engine of a teacher's automobile at the school I was working. We named her Grace - The Grace Of God), to which I feed them all the same probiotic.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your reply <3

Angeline

sharper43

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway to get Ponazuril without a prescription? I'm fostering 2 kittens that has coccidia and the rescue only has Albon for this, along with Clindrops as an antibiotic. We've been treating for a week and I don't see any improvement. I'm curious if I can just get my hands on ponazuril to fix this fast.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise

I have LOTS of experience with coccidia.

I have a non profit rescue group and many kittens that come to me have it.

What makes it deadly in kittens is the dehydration factor, kittens have such small bodies, and don't hold much fluid as it is, but when they are losing the fluids instead of absorption, it's critical to keep them well hydrated.

Stop feeding them dry if you are. The dry food will suck up what fluid they do have. Instead, while the diarrhea is so prominent you can give them chicken babyfood diluted with pediolyte or water.

This is not nutrition sufficient for long term but it will certainly keep them hydrated until they stop losing the fluids as quickly as they go in.

Treatment wise, it's a bit puzzling why the vet thinks that 2 doses of albon will cure then, this is no where near enough.

Yes, albon works eventually but is slow at work and must be given daily for a minimum of 5-7 days, and up to weeks.

I have discovered an EXCELLENT alternative, Ponazuril.

Albon does not kill coccidia it prevents it from reproducing. Ponazuril on the other hand kills coccidia. It also works very fast. You will see a difference after the first day!

I'm not exactly sure why ponazuril has not become the drug of choice, but it is wonderful!

If your vet doesn't carry ponazuril ask him to get it for you. Sometimes you have to really press the issue with a vet who is stuck in the standard treatments used.

Also since he has already diagnosed coccidia there should NOT be an additional charge for any follow up visit regarding the treatment,. Vets generally do not charge again for the same problem.

One more note, sometimes Ghiardia is found in cats/kittens with coccidia. Don't despair!
I wish I would have seen this post a couple of weeks ago! I have six foster kittens and a momma who are currently being treated with Albon for this... They are almost done their 10 days of it and their poops look much improved... How long after their last dose do you think I should have them retested to see if they still have it or not? I cleaned the carpet and sprayed with Lysol Disinfectant in their room... Do you think this will be sufficient?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, with carpeting it's going to have to be good enough.

The coccidia is in the poop though, so unless they pooped all over the place, it's safe to say they should not get reinfected from it.

Litter boxes are the biggest culprit of reinfecting.

Give it a good week after the albon is gone, even 2.

They may need another round of it though, it's slow to help get rid of coccidia.

Good luck!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So waiting a couple of days after the treatment and then testing the fecal probably wouldn't yield an accurate result?

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I foster for a local rescue group and recently had a run-in with Coccidia. I wanted to know what I was dealing with so I spent many hours researching this issue (which brought me here). The rescue group and the local vet they use prescribed Albon, but refused to prescribe Ponazuril. They claim it's "way too harsh" for kittens and that they are convinced it messes up their intestines (could this be a mis-dosage?) but I've read there have been studies showing Ponazuril safe for kittens of 2 weeks. I have 3 nursing moms with litters (12 kittens in total). On top of that, I have 7 adult cats, plus 2 older kittens plus 3 of my own cats (outdoor) plus 2 colonies (11 cats) and numerous other neighborhood cats I feed and interact with on a daily basis.
My research into Coccidia has said that the only things that will kill it is steam-cleaning, washing clothes, dishes etc on "hot" setting, a 10% solution of ammonia and of course Ponazuril. I have also read that neither bleach nor antibiotic products (wipes, soap etc) will do much good and not even the heavy duty vetranarian cleaner Accel will kill it.
I have been assured by the group's president that I do not need to steam-clean my house and that the "Coccidia doesn't last long outside of a host" (I've read they can last a year).
My question is this: am I over-reacting here in being worried I have a parasite loose in my environment, that I need to be worried about all of the other cats I interact with (most are healthy adults, a couple are aged). How do I reassure my family members that have pets that it's okay to come over? that they have nothing to worry about? Can I never foster newborn kittens here again?
I know that the cat's immune system is ultimately the true cure here and that most animals have a small colony of Coccidia already. I'm currently thinking that since you're just as likely to pick up Coccidia at your local pet store or by petting any animal that this isn't something you can really combat. You should only really worry if it causes issues on a case to case basis (I've read it's mostly just a nuisance).
Am I safe here?
This whole thing is driving me crazy. I've been doing rescue for about 7 years now and I'm seriously questioning if this just ended my ability to keep doing it. I'm also worried that I'm being taken for a ride here with the group's president. But maybe she just isn't aware of a) what a serious problem and shock it is to have to deal with this and/or b) she just isn't willing to change her standard operati. I seriously feel left out on a limb and maybe my entire (cat) world is now in shambles and my cat family is now threatened.
I really just need the straight real answer here. I think (and have spent the last two weeks fighting for) that ponazuril is the medication that should have been given at the outset. I wanted this thing done, finished and let's move on but I was forced the settle on the Albon (+Fenbendazol) treatment. Two weeks and the loss of one kitten later plus the frantic worrying and overkill cleaning and maintenance plus cost of good food, litter, Pedialyte etc and here I am starting a 2nd round of meds.
I don't understand how this could be such a controversy. By my account, Ponazuril has been used and studied with great success since 2006. That's over 10 years ago! Am I missing something here? I haven't seen ANY bad reference to using Ponazuril to treat this but I'm getting completely stonewalled here. I've even offered to pay for a whole tube myself (~$200) but answer was still no.
I appreciate any responses, especially from professionals (shelters, vets). it would be especially helpful if you could point me to any recent articles/studies that the group's president and the vet would have a hard time discrediting (such as something in Plumbs although I of course do not have access to it myself).
thank you and sorry for such a long post

Last edited:

catkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I foster for a local rescue group and recently had a run-in with Coccidia. I wanted to know what I was dealing with so I spent many hours researching this issue (which brought me here). The rescue group and the local vet they use prescribed Albon, but refused to prescribe Ponazuril. They claim it's "way too harsh" for kittens and that they are convinced it messes up their intestines (could this be a mis-dosage?) but I've read there have been studies showing Ponazuril safe for kittens of 2 weeks. I have 3 nursing moms with litters (12 kittens in total). On top of that, I have 7 adult cats, plus 2 older kittens plus 3 of my own cats (outdoor) plus 2 colonies (11 cats) and numerous other neighborhood cats I feed and interact with on a daily basis.
My research into Coccidia has said that the only things that will kill it is steam-cleaning, washing clothes, dishes etc on "hot" setting, a 10% solution of ammonia and of course Ponazuril. I have also read that neither bleach nor antibiotic products (wipes, soap etc) will do much good and not even the heavy duty vetranarian cleaner Accel will kill it.
I have been assured by the group's president that I do not need to steam-clean my house and that the "Coccidia doesn't last long outside of a host" (I've read they can last a year).
My question is this: am I over-reacting here in being worried I have a parasite loose in my environment, that I need to be worried about all of the other cats I interact with (most are healthy adults, a couple are aged). How do I reassure my family members that have pets that it's okay to come over? that they have nothing to worry about? Can I never foster newborn kittens here again?
I know that the cat's immune system is ultimately the true cure here and that most animals have a small colony of Coccidia already. I'm currently thinking that since you're just as likely to pick up Coccidia at your local pet store or by petting any animal that this isn't something you can really combat. You should only really worry if it causes issues on a case to case basis (I've read it's mostly just a nuisance).
Am I safe here?
This whole thing is driving me crazy. I've been doing rescue for about 7 years now and I'm seriously questioning if this just ended my ability to keep doing it. I'm also worried that I'm being taken for a ride here with the group's president. But maybe she just isn't aware of a) what a serious problem and shock it is to have to deal with this and/or b) she just isn't willing to change her standard operati. I seriously feel left out on a limb and maybe my entire (cat) world is now in shambles and my cat family is now threatened.
I really just need the straight real answer here. I think (and have spent the last two weeks fighting for) that ponazuril is the medication that should have been given at the outset. I wanted this thing done, finished and let's move on but I was forced the settle on the Albon (+Fenbendazol) treatment. Two weeks and the loss of one kitten later plus the frantic worrying and overkill cleaning and maintenance plus cost of good food, litter, Pedialyte etc and here I am starting a 2nd round of meds.
I don't understand how this could be such a controversy. By my account, Ponazuril has been used and studied with great success since 2006. That's over 10 years ago! Am I missing something here? I haven't seen ANY bad reference to using Ponazuril to treat this but I'm getting completely stonewalled here. I've even offered to pay for a whole tube myself (~$200) but answer was still no.
I appreciate any responses, especially from professionals (shelters, vets). it would be especially helpful if you could point me to any recent articles/studies that the group's president and the vet would have a hard time discrediting (such as something in Plumbs although I of course do not have access to it myself).
thank you and sorry for such a long post

catkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have this all the time , I am a foster mom . I have rescued and fostered over 1000 cats and kittens . Ponazuril is the best use it . Panacur too is what we put them on . both of them. if the are on solid food use a chicken ( I use friskies chicken and liver. Baby cat from royal canin is a nice hard food the babies can eat it a 3 weeks . if you have kittens that are weakened use clinicare milk you can purchase on amazon , mix a small amount with the wet food . Flagal is outdated now and you have to give for 10 days . Ponazuril has taken its place. Hope this helps

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
C catman925 we are neighbors!!
I have found that vets vary regarding ponazuril.
There are many who are on board with it and carry it, praising it's safeness and just how great it is, while others are still not on board since it's not been around for cats all that long.
I have had nothing but outstanding results with it, and have never had an adverse reaction at all, including giving it to very young kittens.
It is also a bit of a broad spectrum med so it covers more than coccidia alone.
If you work with any other vets ask for it, or just call vets and find out if they use/prescribe the med.

No, you are not in danger of destroying your future rescuing, litter pans can be washed out with soap and bleach then over dried in the hot sun.

It is passed along in feces. Adults often are resistent to it when their immune systems are healthy too.
Don't panic. It's not like ringworm that is a complete nuisance and can be a never ending nightmare....

Just get your hands on ponazuril. If you know anyone with horses they can get the tubes of marquis paste easily too.
Many shelters are using it as a standard intake protocol for all incoming, babies too.

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catwoman707: is that 707 of Santa Rosa fame? I'm in the far far East of the bay (about halfway to Stockton).
as far as the Ponazuril thing, this has been such a disappointment and a nightmare. I am planning on hitting the phones tomorrow to see if I can find a vet that has it. It just irks me that the rescue group president doesn't see the severity of this problem. My house isn't a sparkly clean environment, more like a cross between a frat house and a crazy cat lady house, so you might be able to see the daunting task I'm looking at (and I've come to appreciate just how close cats/kittens are without frat boys as far as not making a mess! -favorite game: Paper Bits! see how many paper bits you can make :dance:). On top of that, all these cats (with exception of newborns/queens and TNR recoveries) live here as if they were normal pets: no cages, free run of the house, carpet, couches etc included, so definitely if there were Coccidia oocysts to be shed, then yes, they are now everywhere. And it's just me and the cats, so no extra help and a good 20 or so organisms (including me!) continuously tracking and spreading them no matter what gets cleaned/sanitized. I guess what's killing me here is I feel like if I ran an organization of any type and I had people who volunteered and offered space to my organization and somewhere along the line a crisis like this happened, I hope I'd have some sort of contingency plan to help that volunteer/resource deal with it, you know? What's happening here is I feel like they gave me a few cleaning supplies and said, "ok, so... let us know how that turns out". Especially since I've been repeatedly requesting the correct solution from the beginning, but keep getting quasi-reassurances that it's not as big a problem as the rest of the internet (vets, rescues et al) thinks it is.
ok I'll stop ranting here and start in on getting help for these guys from somewhere else other than the group that ultimately should be being responsible for them (sorry, still ranting a bit....). Thanks for giving me some affirmation. I was pretty sure I was on the right track. thank you for the encouragement. I'll try and post a follow-up later to say how things work out. thanks again :bluepaw:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it's Vallejo/Benicia and up through Fairfield/Vacaville to Dixon basically.

Vacuuming furniture and floors is a big help. I know the internet searches will tell you how contaminated everything is, which is true but rest assured that as long as it's vacuumed well and the boxes are kept clean you will be rid of it through this and med.
My house has a separate cat room where for many years have taken in and cared for countless cats and kittens who needed medical care specifically, so I've dealt with coccidia plenty of times, but able to be rid of it without problems by thoroughly vacuuming, keeping boxes as clean as possible during treatment, and ponazuril, since it actually kills the cysts vs only inhibiting them with albon.

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it's Vallejo/Benicia and up through Fairfield/Vacaville to Dixon basically.

Vacuuming furniture and floors is a big help. I know the internet searches will tell you how contaminated everything is, which is true but rest assured that as long as it's vacuumed well and the boxes are kept clean you will be rid of it through this and med.
My house has a separate cat room where for many years have taken in and cared for countless cats and kittens who needed medical care specifically, so I've dealt with coccidia plenty of times, but able to be rid of it without problems by thoroughly vacuuming, keeping boxes as clean as possible during treatment, and ponazuril, since it actually kills the cysts vs only inhibiting them with albon.
yes, hopefully that will be my direction as well. so far tho, the vets I've called around here aren't up to snuff on it either. any vets over by you I can send a fecal to to get this perscribed? I know, a bit silly to consider mailing out some poo, but if I come up completely short out here...I can't imagine that could be the case but who knows?

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catwoman707:
what rescue group do you work with out there? I just had a thought that since you are so close to us that maybe the president of our group might be more amenable to changing her thinking on this if she was familiar with your group that is using Ponazuril with great success. idk, worth a shot

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My group is Cat Tales Rescue.
She can email me at [email protected]
Note the single T in the spelling.

I don't think the poop would be fresh enough to get a good accurate result if mailed.

Finding a vet who will prescribe a tube of Marquis paste is the best option. When diluted becomes ponazuril.
A tube is about $200.00 but is 128 mls undiluted and will last a good busy 2 kitten seasons at least, with a shelf life of as long as 2 years so well worth the cost.
Several rescues this way including the shelter use it and swear it's liquid gold.

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My group is Cat Tales Rescue.
She can email me at [email protected]
Note the single T in the spelling.

I don't think the poop would be fresh enough to get a good accurate result if mailed.

Finding a vet who will prescribe a tube of Marquis paste is the best option. When diluted becomes ponazuril.
A tube is about $200.00 but is 128 mls undiluted and will last a good busy 2 kitten seasons at least, with a shelf life of as long as 2 years so well worth the cost.
Several rescues this way including the shelter use it and swear it's liquid gold.
awesome thank you so much! I'll pass on the info and hopefully she will at least look into it. thank you again, you may have just saved a whole new group of kittens and possibly my sanity :). my name is Art btw

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catwoman707:
Everyone's relapsed and heading towards death's door again. g#*damn, this is frustrating.. striking out with the vets in my area. I can understand having a regular treatment scheme that you've been using for a while, but as they must know the shortcomings when using Albon (and IMO some serious shortcomings like it barely does the job), if someone comes along and tells them about a treatment that kills the bugs at a miniscule fraction of the overall cost (med, treatment, dietary health, environmental health, etc etc), why in the world wouldn't they at the very least do an even cursory Google search? man, this whole thing's blowing my mind.

ok, so I'm beginning to think I need to take a trip to Vallejo. Would you mind letting me know what vet you are getting your prescription through? Like I said, I've got five 5-6 week old kittens plus mom that have all relapsed and are at this point looking like they're going to be needing fluids pretty soon. The youngest, my bottle baby (mom is surrogate) is now refusing to eat. syringe feeding him.
sorry about the rant again. there's nothing more aggravating than watching animals dying and those that are supposed to be helping (vets locally) are dragging their feet and giving a run-around. Going to continue calling more local vets, but let me know if that's ok to come out your direction.

thank you for all your help so far. it's been replenishing to have at least one person out there that understands.
-art

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're welcome Art, good luck!
hi catwoman707. I figured I'd post this question here so others could see your answer.
we've finally gotten a hold of a tube of Marquis paste and I'm mostly aware the correct dilution is 5ml Maquis to 12ml water. Is that correct?
Also, how do you usually extract 5ml from the large tube?
And if you don't mind, what is your dosage regimen? I have 2 litters (11 kittens, 5-6 weeks old) and while I don't have a positive test for coccidia, all of them have had diarrhea for a good 5 days now and I want to at least administer a preventative dose for each of them. One of the litters is very small, ranging in weight between 12.5oz to 1.5lbs.

Thanks a bunch for all your help :happycat:

-Art

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Art!

Yes, the correct advised dilution is 5 mls of paste to 12 mls water, once diluted store in fridge.
That said, I ran in to a vet who said to dilute it less, that it's safe to do and will eliminate any need to re-treat again.
So I only dilute the paste enough so that I am able to draw the solution up with the 1 ml syringe.
It's closer to 50/50

Once per day, 3-5 days in a row depending on how bad the diarrhea is. Knock that bug right out of them.