Please help scabs not fleas

krisinua74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor Meatball has been getting random scabs sometimes one or 2 sometimes many mostly on his neck and base of head sometimes along his spine he DOESNT have fleas . im very upset called vet they want to give him comfortis even after i told them he definately doesnt have fleas. So i camt afford to go get testing done does anyone know can this be serious? Where do i beigim?i been feeding same grainfree no meal profucts instinct chicken kibble for last 2months he wont eat any carageenan free soft good so i was forced to go back to dry food i wasted hundred on eveey kind of wet food wothout carageenan even tried stella and chewys raw chicken he liked it at first but it costs tooo much and he lost interest after a few weeks. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Puffy has dermatitis which gets really bad sometimes... even though if she doesn't have fleas, but if she has been bitten by a flea, she will get a terrible rash.  Also sensitive to some foods and not others.... It is a lot to figure out, and the meds and the testing and everything is very expensive!  I am not sure how it is where you live, but here, it has been very mild winter and there are still mosquitos and other bugs that didn't get killed off this winter.  Even though our cats are indoor cats, we still treat them every month.  Even if you don't have a flea infestation, you can still bring a couple fleas in, on you, on her if she goes out, if squirrels come around your windows or doors, they can bring them... We just do treat them better safe than sorry and difficult to control when you have 4 cats.  :)  A cortisone shot will also help Puffy... I believe Puffy to have seasonal allergies, not just respiratory, but they make her itchy too.  Finally, Puffy has a habit of pulling her fur out.  Others have said this can be caused by stress.... we just believe Puffy to be a weird cat, but if your baby seems itchier at times of stress, you can try feliway spray or diffusers. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a daily antihistamine?  That might help.  Also, it could be litter allergy. You could try a gradual switch to an all-natural litter to see if that helps.