Please help. Ruby stopped eating her raw, again :(

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi friends, another problem here. Luckily, I never have two cats giving me problems at the same time, ha ha. 

While Hooligan is doing wonderfully, Ruby stopped eating her raw chicken (I used to top it with salmon). The only way I get her to eat it now is if I sprinkle some freeze dried chicken over it.Thankfully, she is still eating this way - but she isn't finishing her meals. 

My only guess is that she is bored, my raw food supplier tells me that she hasn't changed anything in the mix this time, so that's my guess. The only thing is, Ruby is a notoriously PICKY eater. She can detect even the SMALLEST amount of change in her daily raw routine. She was an absolute nightmare to switch from kibble to raw - which is why I am here for advice. 

Do any of you guys have a notoriously picky eater that you have/are trying new flavors too? What are some of your tricks, go to's, etc etc?

I know she is hungry because she meows everytime I come into the room with her food - but smells it and walks away (unless there is freeze dried chicken). So, she is not feeling sick or there is no real reason to worry about her health...she's just being her picky self again!

Thanks for all the wonderful advice :)

Melissa

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she eats it with the FD chicken, then I would continue with that. FD chicken is a healthy snack/topper, so if that's what it takes, I would continue using it as a topper for however long it takes, forever if need be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she eats it with the FD chicken, then I would continue with that. FD chicken is a healthy snack/topper, so if that's what it takes, I would continue using it as a topper for however long it takes, forever if need be.
I will indeed. The only thing I am worried about is that, like the Salmon topper, she will get tired of it quickly. 

And after that, I have 0 tricks up my sleeve -

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is like that too. So when she gets tired of the chicken topper, try the salmon topper again. It may have been long enough that she'll like it again. You may be able to alternate the two when she gets tired of one.

You could also try to find other toppers. Both dried bonito flakes and dried ground shrimp work for me because my cat loves seafood.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try a different food if it's been a while since she had any other protein. Sometimes the picky eaters just need / want something new.

During the first six months or so, I had to waste a lot of food. Only it wasn't so painful for me, as the ferals would eat up anything my inside cats didn't, so it wasn't actually food being wasted. I know others don't have that. :rub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also try a different food if it's been a while since she had any other protein. Sometimes the picky eaters just need / want something new.

During the first six months or so, I had to waste a lot of food. Only it wasn't so painful for me, as the ferals would eat up anything my inside cats didn't, so it wasn't actually food being wasted. I know others don't have that.
Yeah, I'm gonna try duck again tonight - with chicken toppers. I know she is wanting a variety, it is just SO difficult to get her to eat ANYTHING different.