Please help....new kitten sick?????

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not qualified in any way, and you must take the advice of your vet, but I nursed both Dushka and Persil through life threatening illness when they were very small. I would never let a 7 week old kitten go more than three hours without eating and drinking, and in fact usually fed them a little every hour except overnight when I would let it go a bit longer. I fed both of them by syringe for quite a while - Dushka for three weeks, Persil for nearly 4. Even after they started to eat by themselves I continued to supplement by syringe for a while to build up strength and keep hydration. Above all get liquid into her - I used to try and make sure it was nutritious too - homemade saltless chicken broth, goats milk with some egg yolk beaten into it, and you can make the kitten glop whose recipe you can find on this thread. It is very easy to feed by syringe when they are small - they quickly cooperate. Hold them by the scruff against your elbow, put the syringe into the side of the mouth and press gently, making sure they get a little at a time and don't choke. Around 20ccs an hour is enough at that age, increasing by 10ccs per week.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not qualified in any way, and you must take the advice of your vet, but I nursed both Dushka and Persil through life threatening illness when they were very small. I would never let a 7 week old kitten go more than three hours without eating and drinking, and in fact usually fed them a little every hour except overnight when I would let it go a bit longer. I fed both of them by syringe for quite a while - Dushka for three weeks, Persil for nearly 4. Even after they started to eat by themselves I continued to supplement by syringe for a while to build up strength and keep hydration. Above all get liquid into her - I used to try and make sure it was nutritious too - homemade saltless chicken broth, goats milk with some egg yolk beaten into it, and you can make the kitten glop whose recipe you can find on this thread. It is very easy to feed by syringe when they are small - they quickly cooperate. Hold them by the scruff against your elbow, put the syringe into the side of the mouth and press gently, making sure they get a little at a time and don't choke. Ask your vet on the total amount she needs per day/hour, based on age and weight.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think really you need to find another vet. Kittens do sleep a lot but not as much as you are describing - it sounds more like she is lethargic and listless rather than actually tired. Plus, I've never come across a kitten that isn't a maniac when it's awake. If she's eating that's good, but I don't like the sound of her not defecating at all.

You definitely need to insist to the vet that you just know there is something wrong and have appropriate tests done.

Keep us posted.

What is your kitty's name, by the way?

timbit_n_boots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a teained proffesional but this kitty needs a new vet NOW. I have never seen a cat that age that when awake did not go bouncing off the walls. Go to every darned vet near you until you find out what's wrong. I would no matter what the cost.

Please before something tragic happens

oreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just found a kitten in the street, she looks like she is about 6 weeks old. I don't know whether to feed her water or milk. I tried giving her water but, she drank very little of it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oreo,

You should start a new thread stating your problem. The people with the experience are more likely to see it quickly that way rather than "tacking" it onto another thread.

In the meantime don't give the kitten cow's milk.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oreo

I just found a kitten in the street, she looks like she is about 6 weeks old. I don't know whether to feed her water or milk. I tried giving her water but, she drank very little of it.
Here is a superb site on kittens and kitten care, with a good recipe for Kitten Glop.Kitten-Rescue