Please help new cat mum

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Sarabi is my first cat I've had from a kitten, first bengal and she is my first female.

I think she has just come out of heat, she was yowling (is the only way I can describe it) I didn't realise she was in heat until a friend came over and said it sounds like she is in heat, I have not had the chance to book her in to be done because I've been ill and had a major operation.

So she was out and about for about 3 days before we realised she was in heat, so I don't know if she had contact with a male cat.

She has become very loving towards everyone but is still play bitting people, she is cleaning her rear end ALOT and her tummy feels a little bit more firm than before.

She is still eating and drinking like normal, when she is home she sleeps a lot but still has 9pm zoomies.

I have tried to get an appointment worh the vet and they have said if she is still eating and drinking its not an emergency and the earist they can get me in is the beginning of March.

Do you think she could be pregnant?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is very likely pregnant since she was outside while in heat. Unless you want a spay/termination, she’ll have kittens by March.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I agree that there is a good possibility she is pregnant. As said above, unless you want kittens, you should call the vet back and tell them that you think she is pregnant and ask what their policy is with spaying a pregnant cat. Some will do it and others will not. The earlier in the pregnancy the easier it is to have this done, and the more likely of a vet being willing to spay. If so, the vet may make the effort to get you and your cat into see them sooner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both.
I did say she could be pregnant and then have said definitely no chance doing her while pregnant.

I would have to wait til after she had the kittens, I mean it would be nice for her to have at least 1 litter before she done.

She hasn't been sick or anything, that why I was questioning whether she was or not, and if course looking st the nipples but she doesn't like to be turned upside down.

Picture of the lady in question.
IMG_20240103_181334.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Technically, spaying NOW is no difference from a normal spaying.
I have even read a british veterinary handbook, where they said; its best to avoid spaying while in heat. So a way to be sure heat is over, spay in the first weeks of pregnancy...

But ethically it may of course be a problem, esp if the vet is super anti abort...

IF you wish kittens, proceed. They may even look somewhat alike momma, becuase spotted tabby is dominant. The rosettes will probably detoriate, but spotted tabby will be prominent.
But if you DONT wish kittens, try to find some other vet... Perhaps someone cooperating with a shelter; these vets typically are used to spay pregnant females, even advanced pregs.
Contact the shelters nearby and ask them for which vet they do use. If suitable, propose them a donation if they seems hesitant.

Unusual1 Unusual1

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Technically, spaying NOW is no difference from a normal spaying.
I have even read a british veterinary handbook, where they said; its best to avoid spaying while in heat. So a way to be sure heat is over, spay in the first weeks of pregnancy...

But ethically it may of course be a problem, esp if the vet is super anti abort...

IF you wish kittens, proceed. They may even look somewhat alike momma, becuase spotted tabby is dominant. The rosettes will probably detoriate, but spotted tabby will be prominent.
But if you DONT wish kittens, try to find some other vet... Perhaps someone cooperating with a shelter; these vets typically are used to spay pregnant females, even advanced pregs.
Contact the shelters nearby and ask them for which vet they do use. If suitable, propose them a donation if they seems hesitant.

Unusual1 Unusual1
Thank you, I am happy for the pregnancy to carry on (if she is) I am still unsure if she is, I will just have to keep an eye on her for signs of pregnancy.

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Start reading up on taking care of a pregnant cat and about kittens too so you will be prepared. And, keep her inside from now on - pregnant cats can be impregnated again during their initial pregnancy.
What? Your joking right? How can she become pregnant twice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What? Your joking right? How can she become pregnant twice?
Nope, I wouldn't kid about something like that. I don't know how commonplace it is, but it has happened. I do know that a cat go into heat while pregnant. It can also be dangerous to the cat and the fetuses for a cat to mate while pregnant, as they can experience complications related to the pregnancy, things like premature labor and/or a difficult delivery.

EDIT: a cat who is nursing is also capable of getting pregnant too.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats are induced ovulators, so if she mates again, she could have a second litter develop 2-3 weeks later and carry 2 litters at once. She would give birth to the second litter later if there are no complications. However, this is a huge strain on mom and can crowd an already developing set of fetuses. Please keep her inside until she is spayed.

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are induced ovulators, so if she mates again, she could have a second litter develop 2-3 weeks later and carry 2 litters at once. She would give birth to the second litter later if there are no complications. However, this is a huge strain on mom and can crowd an already developing set of fetuses. Please keep her inside until she is spayed.
OK she staying in til I can get her booked in lol this is scary stuff they don't tell you.

Thank you all for your happy.

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So things continue, Sarabi is putting on weight rather fast, I've been doing some reading, can anyone suggest what sort of whelping box I would need?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I suggest you provide her with a variety of covered beds and boxes that she can choose from. It's common for cats to move their litters around every couple of days. Giving birth is a messy business and the blood will attract flies and predators, so in the wild cats move their litters around to avoid detection.

It's probably a good idea to keep her confined to one room for at least the first couple of days after giving birth. You can set up a safe room for her with plenty of beds, boxes, a litter box and everything else she will need.

Be prepared! Read through out Kitten Care articles.

Pregnant Cats And Kittens Articles

And take a look at some of Kitten Lady's videos on YouTube.

Also, if no one has warned you yet, kittens can be very expensive. I sometimes take in litters of abandoned kittens and care for them until they can be rehomed. You spend a lot of money on kitten food, cleaning supplies, powdered milk and things like that. It also costs a lot to get all the kittens blood tested and vaccinated, but this needs to be done before they can be rehomed. So start saving money now, because you're going to spend a lot more than you expect in the first two months.

Good luck!