Please Help, New Born Kitten Breathe Heavily

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our female cat gave born to 4 kittens, 3 of them are fine, the other one is a very pretty calico, for some reasons, she keep breathing very heavily, with mouth wide open. all the other kittens breathe normally and calm, but this one behave like someone holding breath for very long time, then suddenly breathe very deep and heavily, mouth wide open gasp for air. she also does not suckle mum's milk

I guess something stuck at her throat, so I try to gently swing her a few times,like what I read in the book, but nothing happened. I also try to pat her, rub her, but nothing works

I leave it with mum and returned half an hour later, she is getting worse, as her tongue is turning blue, I called a few vets, they do not want to help at this time of day

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry the kitten is dying prob severe pneumonia not much to do
Our female cat gave born to 4 kittens, 3 of them are fine, the other one is a very pretty calico, for some reasons, she keep breathing very heavily, with mouth wide open. all the other kittens breathe normally and calm, but this one behave like someone holding breath for very long time, then suddenly breathe very deep and heavily, mouth wide open gasp for air. she also does not suckle mum's milk

I guess something stuck at her throat, so I try to gently swing her a few times,like what I read in the book, but nothing happened. I also try to pat her, rub her, but nothing works

I leave it with mum and returned half an hour later, she is getting worse, as her tongue is turning blue, I called a few vets, they do not want to help at this time of day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when she was born, she is fine, at least we did not notice anything wrong. about half hour later, we found her is not so active as others, then her breathing become heavy

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened immediately after birth? Was she premature? It sounds like her lungs were not developed.

Which of your mama cats had this litter?

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Rose's kitten, she had one kitten last year, which grow up very healthy.

This time she had 4 kittens, and she is experienced mum now, so I thought things will go smoothly, this specific kitten look very normal, and she was born as No. 3 of the 4.

We did not notice anything wrong when she was born, which means she must breathe normal at that time, otherwise we would notice straight away.

I only find her not nursing when I went back to check them, then gradually she getting worse

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But this was all within a day? What period of time are we talking about?

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suspect their must be mucus stuck at her air way. I tried to use bulb syringe aspirator to clear it, but I am not sure how to use it properly. on one hand, I am afraid to damage her lung, on the other hand, it would not be effective if I use it too gentle. anyway, I only manage to get a little fluid out, with very light red colour

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened within an hour

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten still alive? I would go ahead and take it to a vet. They can help to clear the airways if that's the issue, or help with next steps if it's a deformity.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the kitten doing now?

The kitten probably needs an antibiotic and supplemental feeding by you in order to survive.

Please update!

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately , she passed away, she just deteriorate gradually, but I still do not know what is wrong

at beginning she is fine, then start to open mouth breathe, then her mouth is always open barely closed, then the breathe became less frequent.....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long did take to die? When I wrote my first answer I though it would be shortly.
And tries to help would just prolong the agony of dying...

RIP little one.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site I am very sorry for your loss. Threads are closed after a loss as a sign of respect.

Rest in peace little one. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.