Please Help!! Need Some Advice With Abandoned Kittens!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As stated, since the kittens still have cords attached they are newborns and less than a week old. When the stumps fall off the kittens should be about 5 days old. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's Unsub. Pic was taken about a month or so ago. He is HUGE!!! Especially compared to his sister Penelope. He's barely 1 & a half years old & he was the runt!! He loves showing off his huge belly & getting yummy runs :) he is very much a mommas boy!!
Hahaha oops!! I totally meant to say "tummy rubs" not "yummy runs" LMFAO!!!!!!!

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe they are so adorable. That's great you helping them. Its so sad but thanks to you they have a new lease on life. Yours are very adorable too. It sucks how fast they grow up. Ours are now 5 months old and are almost full grown kittens and just yesterday they were so tiny and couldn't even.get over a 3 inch lip in there box . How are they doing today?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Following this story - hope things progress well despite their sad start in life.

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys sorry I haven't been on in awhile. The kittens have been doing great but I am a little worried right now. The boy had diarrhea yesterday & this morning. I've been mixing Pedialyte with their bottles but now I'm wondering if I should give him just a bottle of Pedialyte to get him hydrated. Please get back to me as I am very worried!!! Thank you

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2, ashade1,

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday the boy had diarrhea so I went & bought Pedialyte & I've been mixing that with their formula instead of water. But when I woke up this morning they both had diarrhea everywhere. So now I'm concerned that they're both dehydrated & I'm wondering if I can give them just straight Pedialyte in order to get some electrolytes into them & hydrate them a little better..?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
What color is the diarrhea? Are you able to do the tent test to see if they are dehydrated? Probably the formula with the pedialyte is enough to keep them hydrated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S swilson56

I agree. Continue mixing the formula with pedialyte instead of water and feed them as normal. That should be enough to rehydrate them while they still get the nutrition they need.

Are they still eating the correct amount?

What color is the diarrhea? Is it straight liquid?

I'm concerned they may need treatment for the diarrhea. If it's beight yellow they probably have coccidia and need a round of Albon from a vet.

If it hasn't cleared you need to call a vet. Diarrhea is never good in small kittens.

swilson56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it's pretty much straight liquid & it's a yellowish green color but it is pretty bright. I also think the boy is extremely dehydrated.. So much to the point that I'm very concerned about him. His breathing is very shallow & he almost seems weaker than he was just a few days ago. & Alot of the times he tries to meow, no sound comes out. Like you can see that he's trying to meow but nothing is coming out so I'm also worried he may have gotten some liquid into his lungs..? I'm just not sure. I'm going to get them into a vet first thing this morning if I can find somewhere that won't cost me very much at all. Unfortunately, I'm right in between pay checks & I also just had to move into a new place so I'm still trying to get back on my feet financially. I just can't afford the arm & leg a vet is going to charge me. Although I have been up all night on the phone with different shelters/hospitals & one of them emailed me a list of different resources/phone numbers & they told me to call every one on the list & ask how much each would be willing to pledge.. So I'm hoping with all these different places pledges, it'll be able to cover the cost of the bill. I'm sorry that I haven't been great at keeping you all updated, but as I'm sure you guys know, 99.9% of my attention goes to these kittens lol. I will let you guys know what happens & if I'm able to get them in to see a vet. Thank you both so much for your help & time. I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate it!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you been giving the weak one pedialyte? It's very important.

Are you mixing the formula with the pedialyte? How much and how often are you feeding?

Were you able to see a vet today? Ask for a payment plan.

The kittens need hydrating and meds for the diarrhea.