Please Help! My Cat Have Some Health Problem

henryyifan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there guys!

I need some helps from here because I'm in Shanghai,China and I didn't found a good clinic for my cat. And I don't trust those doctor because they always use antibiotic and suggest me to buy somethings suspicious.

And sorry for my poor English and I was so panic, I'll try to describe the detail clearly.

My cat is 1 year and 2 month old, weight 5.7 kg. A Chinese local cat.

My cat got FIC(I'm sure it's FIC) in May 1st. I took him to the clinic. The doctor gave me some <Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium> , some Urinary Health care products and ROYAL CANIN LP34. Then I back home and search on Google for some information. I found the main problem is he drink too less. So I changed his food from ZIWI Peak Beef recipe to ZIWI and Catz wet food. And after 5 days later, he feels well.

But when he getting well , he eating less than before.

Then he had the runs(diarrhea) in May 13th. And sadly, FIC back again. So this time I made my cat drink Diosmectite and some medicine treat diarrhea. The excrement turns good in 3rd day and FIC stops in 5th day.But still eating less.

So I took him to another clinic to do some examination for his health(B scan, blood scan, x-ray scan) today. And the doctor said his liver date is a little bit high than normal. They gave me another Health care products "DH3000" which can cover liver, produced by U.K Bein Group Company Limited. But I can't search any information about this company in Google.

The High data(exam by Fuji machine):
TP-PS = 8.0 g/dl (5.7-7.8)
ALT-PS = 109 U/I (22-84)

Sorry for such long description, so I wanna ask:
1. How can I let my cat drink more? I have try too much ways, wet foods is the best way now. I want him drink more to far away from FIC.( I have bought Feliway to help him comfort)
2. Does dry foods really harmful to cat?
3. Does this data shows serious? Liver problem make him eat less?
4. He love Tuna can, can I let him eat more? Because I heard that tuna was being pollution seriously. I just want him to eat normal like old days.

It's really really appreciate for reply!
Really thanks!
He is important for me.
If something didn't describe clear, I'll add ASAP.
Sorry for bothering you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! Wet food, more water, and less stress are the keys to helping avoid bouts with FIC.

A lot of cats will eat less when given wet food because it is generally higher in protein and therefore more filling. Dry foods typically contain more carbohydrates which will make a cat feel hungrier faster. If you are concerned he is not getting enough calories, you can always feed him some dry food with water added to it, in addition to his wet food. How much less is he eating?

You could also try to get him a water fountain to drink from. Many cats are intrigued to drink more from water that is moving.

Liver enzyme counts can vary and can be higher due to medications or reduced eating. The ALT level you have noted above is not ridiculously high and might resolve itself over time. Did the vet want to run another blood test to see where the ALT level is in another month or so?

I could not find any information on "Health care products "DH3000" produced by U.K Bein Group Company Limited". I think you should ask the vet for some detailed information about this product and what it is supposed to do.

Stress plays a big role in FIC, so keeping down anxiety (yours and his) will be helpful. Plenty of play time - if he likes to play - is helpful in relieving stress, as well as cat perches and/or cat trees that give him places to climb and if at all possible should be near windows so he can look outside.

I hope some of this helps, until other members come along a see your post and offer their tips/advice. I am also including a link below for an article about FIC.

Feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

henryyifan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Wet food, more water, and less stress are the keys to helping avoid bouts with FIC.

A lot of cats will eat less when given wet food because it is generally higher in protein and therefore more filling. Dry foods typically contain more carbohydrates which will make a cat feel hungrier faster. If you are concerned he is not getting enough calories, you can always feed him some dry food with water added to it, in addition to his wet food. How much less is he eating?

You could also try to get him a water fountain to drink from. Many cats are intrigued to drink more from water that is moving.

Liver enzyme counts can vary and can be higher due to medications or reduced eating. The ALT level you have noted above is not ridiculously high and might resolve itself over time. Did the vet want to run another blood test to see where the ALT level is in another month or so?

I could not find any information on "Health care products "DH3000" produced by U.K Bein Group Company Limited". I think you should ask the vet for some detailed information about this product and what it is supposed to do.

Stress plays a big role in FIC, so keeping down anxiety (yours and his) will be helpful. Plenty of play time - if he likes to play - is helpful in relieving stress, as well as cat perches and/or cat trees that give him places to climb and if at all possible should be near windows so he can look outside.

I hope some of this helps, until other members come along a see your post and offer their tips/advice. I am also including a link below for an article about FIC.

Feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care
Thanks for your reply!

"How much less is he eating?"

He ate about 80 g ZIWI Peak Beef Recipe(it's an air dried meat) everyday before.
Now he eat about 120 g wet food everyday, Someday fewer.
The Catz website said a cat should eat their can food 200g/day. Although consider about he don't go outside and 78%~80% moisture contain in wet food, I'm still afraid he is eating less.

I have bought a water fountain half years ago. But he only drink it when he was really thirsty. That's why I very panic about eating less. The wet food is main source to getting water for him now.
I calculate that he get water is about 120*80%=96 g(ml) /day. The suggestion water I learned from internet is 40-60 ml/kg/day, for him is at least 240 ml.

“Did the vet want to run another blood test to see where the ALT level is in another month or so?”

Yes, the vet tell me to run another blood test 2 weeks later. But I want try to change another clinic, is that all right or just don't change?

About the stress

He play with me by running,jumping,chasing e.t.c 1~3 hours everyday.
I bought the <FELIWAY Classic> for him to keeping down anxiety.
I lived in 5th floor. He jump on the windowsill to see his bird friend(or prey) frequently.
May be I can buy a tall climbing stuff for him to stand higher in my house?

Really Thanks for your reply!
The ALT part is a huge help for me!
Thank you FeebysOwner !

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He ate about 80 g ZIWI Peak Beef Recipe(it's an air dried meat) everyday before.
Now he eat about 120 g wet food everyday, Someday fewer.
The Catz website said a cat should eat their can food 200g/day. Although consider about he don't go outside and 78%~80% moisture contain in wet food, I'm still afraid he is eating less.
I have no background with air dried meat, so it is hard for me to gauge how much less he really is eating - sorry. Make sure when you take him to the vet/clinic again to have him weighed and see if there is any real change in his weight. If you can buy a baby scale you could monitor his weight at home too. Can he go back to having some of the meat he was eating before (in addition to his new wet food) or do you have to wait for his health to improve before you can try it again?

I have bought a water fountain half years ago. But he only drink it when he was really thirsty. That's why I very panic about eating less. The wet food is main source to getting water for him now.
I calculate that he get water is about 120*80%=96 g(ml) /day. The suggestion water I learned from internet is 40-60 ml/kg/day, for him is at least 240 ml.
The internet suggestion for water intake might actually be including the moisture from wet food. Most cats don't drink a lot of water, and many drink less water when they eat wet food. As long as he pees every day, I am not sure you should worry so much about his actual water intake through drinking.

Yes, the vet tell me to run another blood test 2 weeks later. But I want try to change another clinic, is that all right or just don't change?
If you want to change to another clinic, just make sure you can get a copy of his records to give to a new vet, especially the blood tests from before.

Keep us posted!!

henryyifan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no background with air dried meat, so it is hard for me to gauge how much less he really is eating - sorry. Make sure when you take him to the vet/clinic again to have him weighed and see if there is any real change in his weight. If you can buy a baby scale you could monitor his weight at home too. Can he go back to having some of the meat he was eating before (in addition to his new wet food) or do you have to wait for his health to improve before you can try it again?
Yep, I have recorded his weight. He lost about 0.15~0.2 kg these 3 weeks.
I try to add what he was eating before into his new wet food. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
I guess maybe he is a picky eater? Because I found that he eat fish recipe wet food more than others in these 2 days.
I'm not sure he is uncomfortable or just pick foods.
I'll observe it these days.

The internet suggestion for water intake might actually be including the moisture from wet food. Most cats don't drink a lot of water, and many drink less water when they eat wet food. As long as he pees every day, I am not sure you should worry so much about his actual water intake through drinking.
Thank you so much! I’m really worry too much and panic. Thanks to tell me that was not necessary. I can sleep well tonight.

If you want to change to another clinic, just make sure you can get a copy of his records to give to a new vet, especially the blood tests from before.
I got a copy of his records yesterday. I'll take him to do another tests next month just as you tell me.

Really thank you for helping me such a lot!!!
Thank you for your patience and sorry for my ignorance and panic.
I lose my mind these 3 weeks.
I'll follow the suggestion you tell me and keeping eye on him.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe entice him to eating other foods by adding a small amount of tuna water from a can of tuna? The fish flavor from the tuna water might be enough fishy tasting to get him to eat other foods - without constantly feeding him fish.

henryyifan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe entice him to eating other foods by adding a small amount of tuna water from a can of tuna? The fish flavor from the tuna water might be enough fishy tasting to get him to eat other foods - without constantly feeding him fish.
I have tried it before, but still doesn't work sometimes.

He eat enough yesterday. But don't eat this morning.

Maybe relax myself and him is helpful.