Please Help My Aggressive Cat

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

my name is Fatima, i have a concern about my new cat (Meme) , my cat is an adult female not sure of her breed type. i adopted her recently, we already have an adult male cat at home.. everything was fine when her previous owner brought her to us, when she arrived at first she was very scared and isolated and it was understandable.. i read online its normal for cats to be scared when moving to a new environment.​

after few days she started walking through the house. slowly she allowed me to touch her but sometimes out of the blue she get aggressive with me and scratch me and bite me.. then she runs back to the corner and start making very loud noises. i read somewhere when cats are angry its better to leave them alone to calm down on their own. at that point it was impossible to take her to the vet because of her behavior.​

i noticed she was very thin when i touch her i could feel her bones, she ate more and still no more weight gain.. also sometimes out of the blue she starts making sounds i felt she was in pain she was shaking her head constantly it wakes her up and if i was close by she scratch me for no reason.​

after the few days passed i couldn't wait more i felt she was very ill, so i had to take her to the vet. there the doctor examined her it took long time and effort to make her stay in place. he told me that meme had infection in her right ear, also infection caused by worms. he gave her medication for them. and she's doing well now :).
then he told me her tail was broken by force and she was not aggressive but defensive and that she had been through trauma and that is the result of her behavior.
i do not know anything about the life she had with her previous owner, the only thing i knew about her before i took her in, was she is a loving cat she loved playing with water loves to sleep on the bed and she have a good appetite.​

meme thankfully is recovering well, she gained weight and became more at ease with us. she no longer make loud angry sounds and she sleeps peacefully..​

she maybe recovering well but sometimes out of the blue she bites and scratch and refuse to get near us i was told that cat remembers everything specially the pain she got through and there is nothing i could do to her. i don't want to watch her like that without help. she is very nice when she is calm but when she is angry she is very hard to deal with and also she is moody.​
any information will be appreciated.:happycat:

Fatima

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats behaviour sounds to me like she is fearful. Even though she may be walking around or even willing to accept attention from you she is still tense and stressed and when she gets a little more nervous she strikes out. I would give her a lot of space and time to settle in and trust you.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow she is really beautiful. And kudos to you for taking in this sweet girl!!

You say her bites and scratches today come "out of the blue"....is that really true? Biting and scratching is part of normal play behavior, even in adult cats. Though human skin tend to be a bit more sensitive and fragile than cats are used to!

Does her body language and tail not show her mood, or that she is playful or over-stimulated?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow she is really beautiful. And kudos to you for taking in this sweet girl!!

You say her bites and scratches today come "out of the blue"....is that really true? Biting and scratching is part of normal play behavior, even in adult cats. Though human skin tend to be a bit more sensitive and fragile than cats are used to!

Does her body language and tail not show her mood, or that she is playful or over-stimulated?
when she plays her bites and scratch are soft i barley feel it on my skin ,but the ones i mentioned above were very painful she stick her nails in my skin so deep she uses force in her bites .. i didn't notice her tail during the attack, but other than that it's always up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Meme is paws-itively beautiful. :catlove:

It sounds like she will need more time to learn to trust that she is safe in her new home. Does she get along ok with your male cat?

TCS has several different articles on various topics. I'll post links to a few that I think may be helpful. Good luck.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
The Multi-cat Household
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover
Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
thank you for the links i will look at them
no sadly, she doesn't like him, we thought its because she may be pregnant but we cant be sure now.. recent days she allowed him to be closer beside her they even ate together, but then she attack him again but less violently than the first time they met.