Please help me

Sophie’s_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My name is Sarah and I recently adopted a cat, Sophie, from a shelter almost a month ago now.

The shelter told me she is 1.5 to 2 years old. She was spayed. She was surrendered with her kittens. I’m not sure, but the previous owner probably chose to surrender her with them, I don’t think they had to. Sophie was only in the shelter a month before I adopted her and her kittens were all adopted out at least a week or two before then.

Sophie vocalizes, loudly and persistently, for reasonably long periods of time. Sometimes it might be related to her mealtimes and others it is not.
She is a caliby; sweet and sassy but more sweet.

Initially, every morning at 5:30 Sophie would cry and cry and cry, presumably for food.
She seemed to be hungry 24/7. (She would also wake me around 2:30 or 3 a.m. and cry for a while.)
I was not free feeding her, as I read this was bad.
When I asked the shelter later what her feeding schedule was like, they told me she was fed once a day, in the morning. So I think she was free fed there.

Once I had transitioned her from the mix of kibble she was eating provided by the shelter, I started using an automatic feeding machine and set it to feed every 6 hours, hoping that would keep her belly satisfied.

Sophie gets 3 three portion meals, plus 1 two portion meal, and each portion is 2.5 tsps. I also give her 1/2 of a 5.5 oz can of wet food with her latest meal of the evening. I don’t believe I am under feeding her But if you think I am please let me know. I have a vet appointment just under a month from now; that was the soonest I could get.

After Sophie eats, even as recently as this morning, she will cry. She cried for at least an hour. Last night, after eating, she cried and cried for at least an hour too ….. Sometimes she was trying to get into the storage area where I keep her wet food. Sometimes she saw people out the window and cried. I played with her a bit more but still she cried.

She cries other times. Sometimes she cries at the door to go outside. Sometimes I have no idea why she’s crying, like when she looks up at the empty wall as if she sees a ghost. Maybe she does.

Sophie has definitely woken up my upstairs neighbours at times. I am concerned they will complain and I will get in trouble. I am trying to adjust her feeding schedule slowly so her last meal is a bit earlier (10:45) and breakfast is a bit later (6:20 am now)
I give her lots of playtime in the evening.
In the morning when I need to sleep more, she sometimes brings her toys in the bedroom. If I go to play with them with her in the living room she just wants to cuddle next to me more than anything, and then meows to be let in the closet where her food is.

I have done my best to ignore crying unless there seems to be a good reason for it, like Jackson Galaxy and all the other articles about this excessive meowing say to do: ignore and don’t reward. I think maybe it helped with the three a.m. wake ups in the bedroom since they are much less frequent, but I think she still cries in the living room sometimes and I just sleep through it.

One morning I woke up and Sophie was on my bed hogging half of my pillow and she was very calm and quiet. I couldn’t fight the urge to pee and so much for quiet after that. She cried for an hour and a half at least, even though I was ignoring her.

Please help me with her crying so I won’t have to give up my sweet sassy girl. 😔

(In the photo where she’s looking up with awe or concern, I think Sophie is seeing spirits; there was nothing up there 😄) 27BA68E1-A4F7-4485-BD5A-23DE50FA7C2F.jpeg 2620A36D-85CE-4FD1-AF0E-6AE74AE92FC1.jpeg DCA40CF3-4ABC-4428-9F13-89AA5157B72D.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a healthy weight to me, so if the weight is stable your feeding a good amount. You could also check the calories of the various foods -- appropriate calories for a cat of X weight is available on the net.

I've never had a cat that really cries about more than one specific thing, or that didn't improve with ignoring, so I'll have to leave the rest for others. I don't know that I've read about a solution for this either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once I had transitioned her from the mix of kibble she was eating provided by the shelter, I started using an automatic feeding machine and set it to feed every 6 hours, hoping that would keep her belly satisfied. Sophie gets 3 three portion meals, plus 1 two portion meal, and each portion is 2.5 tsps. I also give her 1/2 of a 5.5 oz can of wet food with her latest meal of the evening. I don’t believe I am under feeding her But if you think I am please let me know.
Hi. Kind of confused about exactly how much/when/and what she is eating. I counted up the number of portions you are feeding her and if I understand correctly that would be 11 portions at 2.5 tsp apiece - correct? Ballpark-wise, that equals 27.5 tsps. - or a tad over 1/2 cup (or about 4.5 ounces) in total. Are these portions dry food? So, how many calories of this food is in 1/2 cup? Add that to the calories of 2.75 oz of her canned food to determine how much she is actually eating calorically.

As a general rule of thumb, cats can maintain their weight on about 20-25 calories per pound. So, a 10 pound cat should be eating anywhere between 200 - 250 calories per day. This can vary widely by cat, so it is really a very generalized guideline.

The other thing I was confused about is for what are you using the timed feeder if it is set for every 6 hours - considering it sounds like you are giving her 11 different portions of food? The reason I focused on this part is because I was wondering it you weren't giving her enough to eat at one time to satisfy her, and am not clear on how the timed feeder comes into play. While it is true that many cats tend to graze throughout the day, others tend to do better being given larger portions at a time to keep them satisfied. And, that could explain part of her crying even after just having been fed - she is still feeling hungry.

So, if I understood all of this correctly, perhaps increase the size of her meals and decrease the number of meals, keeping the total daily calorie amount you are feeding her somewhere in between the range appropriate for her weight. You can always adjust as needed over time.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would set a bowl of dry out at night and pick it up in the morning. It may help her get through the night without bothering you. @ 1/2 tsp. is a little less than a tablespoon of food. She may need more at each feeding and space them out a little more. If she starts gaining weight, switch her to weight maintenance dry. A month is not long at all in a cat's world, they live for routine. She will settle down in time, for now, I would just feed her more to keep her full. You can always adjust things once she is comfortable ith her new home, at about 6 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophie’s_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Feebys Owner

For the dry food Sophie gets
3 portions at 6:20 a.m.,
2 portions at 12:20 p.m.,
3 portions at 6 p.m.,
and 3 portions at 10:45 p.m. plus 1/2 of 5.5 oz wet food about fifteen to twenty minutes before that last kibble feeding.

Her kibble is 470kcal/cup and wet food is 143kcal/carton. So 71.5 wet and a little over 235 dry is about a little over 307kcal per day. This is why I think I am feeding her too much. The wet food really pushes it over but I would rather reduce a 3 portion kibble meal to 2, than reduce the wet food. My understanding is wet food is important for hydration and they can’t drink enough water to replace the hydration in wet food. I was going to ask the vet about her calories next month.

Hi. Kind of confused about exactly how much/when/and what she is eating. I counted up the number of portions you are feeding her and if I understand correctly that would be 11 portions at 2.5 tsp apiece - correct? Ballpark-wise, that equals 27.5 tsps. - or a tad over 1/2 cup (or about 4.5 ounces) in total. Are these portions dry food? So, how many calories of this food is in 1/2 cup? Add that to the calories of 2.75 oz of her canned food to determine how much she is actually eating calorically.

As a general rule of thumb, cats can maintain their weight on about 20-25 calories per pound. So, a 10 pound cat should be eating anywhere between 200 - 250 calories per day. This can vary widely by cat, so it is really a very generalized guideline.

The other thing I was confused about is for what are you using the timed feeder if it is set for every 6 hours - considering it sounds like you are giving her 11 different portions of food? The reason I focused on this part is because I was wondering it you weren't giving her enough to eat at one time to satisfy her, and am not clear on how the timed feeder comes into play. While it is true that many cats tend to graze throughout the day, others tend to do better being given larger portions at a time to keep them satisfied. And, that could explain part of her crying even after just having been fed - she is still feeling hungry.

So, if I understood all of this correctly, perhaps increase the size of her meals and decrease the number of meals, keeping the total daily calorie amount you are feeding her somewhere in between the range appropriate for her weight. You can always adjust as needed over time.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it could be she just wants to talk with you if your positive she is healthy. i would just talk back to her and encourage her to come get head scratches and pets. from you graycie is really vocal to some times its she just wants me to lay on the couch so she can take a nap with me:lol:other times its just wanting a few pets from the gf and i. reassurance that we didnt forget about her? i dunno i didnt have much luck trying to feed graycie the recommened amounts etc. she always puked or just didnt eat or finnish the food so i just feed her half a 3.5 or 5 ounce can in the morning and the rest at night with dry food left out at all times for her to nibble on she is a healthy 11pounds 1 ounce according t her last vet visit.hope this helps good luck

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her kibble is 470kcal/cup and wet food is 143kcal/carton. So 71.5 wet and a little over 235 dry is about a little over 307kcal per day. This is why I think I am feeding her too much. The wet food really pushes it over but I would rather reduce a 3 portion kibble meal to 2, than reduce the wet food. My understanding is wet food is important for hydration and they can’t drink enough water to replace the hydration in wet food. I was going to ask the vet about her calories next month.
Thanks for the clarification! Dry food typically has a lot more carbs than wet, so it could be that all she needs is to eat more wet and less dry. Also, dry tends to be like potato chips vs. wet like meat/protein for humans - a person will tend to get hungrier faster after eating the potato chips when compared to eating the meat/protein.

I would seriously consider giving her more wet - maybe along side of her dry each time, just reduce the dry by a bit. See if by chance more wet food will hold her over better. Just something to experiment with.