Please help me!!

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just got a 3 month old Ragdoll kitten. He is an adorable ball of fluff and I really am attached to him now. We have had him for a little more than a week. 4 days after we brought him home I took him to the vet to get his first vaccines and when we came back he peed on my lap when I was sitting on the couch. I thought maybe he was just stressed out from the vet appointment or something. So I cleaned the pee with a product for pet urine removal and washed the cushion.
I thought it was over and done with but the next morning my boyfriend woke up and Jinxy had peed on the bed!!! He headed downstairs to sleep on the couch but Jinxy had also peed on another cushion[emoji]128561[/emoji]
So we washed all three couch cushions just in case and washed the whole bedding set. I also bought a spray at Petsmart that is supposed to take away the smell not only from our noses but from his!! I also bought two more huge litter boxes and a litter genie just in case that not having his own litter box was the problem... But no! He has peed on my bed every day now... Including this morning[emoji]128545[/emoji]
My boyfriend is about to get rid of him but I just can't do that!! I called the vet to see if maybe it was a medical problem but he doesn't seem to think so.
PLEASE HELP ME! I can't keep cleaning my sheets and blankets every single day!!
I also have 2 female cats that have never done this and they get along well with the little one.

catie zacharias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
maybe he was stressed from the vaccines?  One of my kitties has to have Benedryl before vaccines or he vomits.  He also peedon my bed right after he was neutered - and still runs to pee on the bed whenever he gets overstressed.  You should definitely call your vet and discuss it right away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did talk to the vet and he said what you are saying... That he probably was stressed put from the vaccines. But it has been a week since he had his vaccines and he still peed on my bed this morning. The vet also said he is too young to be presenting a case of urinary tract infection.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please remember that you have a 3 month old kitten who is new to your home.  He needs time to learn where the litter boxes are.  The first instance after your appointment, he may not have "remembered" that he needed to run and find the litter box.  The other instances sound like they may have happened overnight.  Please keep this little one in a small separate room with food, water and litter box during the night.  With this small space, he will learn that he needs to find and use the litter box and will, over time and as he gets older, be able to stay out in the house.  He's just a tiny baby right now.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is so young.  You might need to put some temporary litter boxes (use aluminum foil cake pans) in every room in your house until he gets the hang of things and learns to go in the box 100% of the time.  You can also try putting him in a large crate or in a bathroom to see if he pees in the box there. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using the same litter as his breeder? was he litter trained by the breeder? (also very odd you had to take him for first vaccination at 12 weeks, most breeders do 2 vaccinations prior to adoption) You mention having 2 huge litter trays, can the kitten easily get in and out of them?

Some kittens are particularly drawn to peeing on feather quilts, so if you've got one on your bed that may be why he's going there.

Agree with a post above on keeping him in a smaller area until he's using the tray correctly. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It very well could have been the stress from the vaccines but now he is learning it as a habit. I would confine him to one room with his food and water and box until he is using it 100% of the time. Then, slowly expand his turf, making sure their is a box in every room and that he knows where it is. 

You can also try Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter. Cats and kittens love the smell of it and it helps them want to use their box. 

bella f

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten had the same problem! we use the normal cat litter we bought with [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter on top. Also buy aluminum cake pans! try those out! we did for our kitten and after she started using those we took one away and replaced it with a normal one, and left the one cake pan( we moved one the cake pan into a different room) we have found our kitten will use both. but she is still not ready for both big ones.[/color]

faustandfigaro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not only an "adorable ball of fluff" but also a very young kitten who has been separated from his Mum & sibblings only 1 week ago, and is now with 2 unknown adult cats, 2 unknown humans and gone to an unknown vet... No wonder he is stressed ! Although you think the adult cats get along well with him, it might not be what HE thinks...

Peeing on beds & sofas (human stuff) is usually sign that he is stressed by you - that's what ethologist vets say anyway. But it could be just that you don't use the same litter brand as the breeder:usually it's said to be much better to keep using the same litter & food for a while, introducing other stuff slowly.

I hope you will manage to solve this problem, for your sake and the baby Ragdoll's ! They are magnificent and adorable cats !

jiskefet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing you can do to ease the stress is buy a feliway diffuser. It spreads cat pheromones that make him feel comfortable.

So I would say: put him in a small room with food, water and a big AND a small litter tray, filled with the litter the breeder used, and put up a feliway diffuser in that room.

Spend as much time with im as possible - in his own little safe room, and only when he is not weeing outside the tray any more, will you take him into the rest of the house - under supervision.

It would be best to have him spend the night in his safe room AT LEAST till he is fully litter-trained and totally at ease again.

Last edited:

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your responses!! I will sure take your advice!
I forgot to mention that he has no problem going to the bathroom in his litter box. He still uses it, he just likes to pee in our bed in the middle of the night.
I know he is a young kitten and that is why I am being so patient and trying to figure this out.
Weird thing though... My bed was pee- free this morning.

jiskefet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he pee while sleeping in the bed with you or after you get up?

If he pees when he wakes up at night, he just may not wake in time to get all the way to his litter tray, but if he marks the place you have been sleeping after you got up,he may be developing territorial issues (though he is rather young for that)

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually I discover the wet spot when I am in the bed.

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And he did it again... This time my boyfriend noticed and was NOT happy. I guess we will have to lock him in a room at night.... I really wanted to avoid that but I can't keep washing my bedding every single day and waking up at five in the morning.

kumitekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My thought is that he is nervous.

You mentioned the possibility that he MIGHT want his own litter box? Does this mean you have other cats? I'm sorry if I missed that.

The fact that he is not peeing just outside the litter box indicates that it is likely not a litter preference problem.  I am thinking it has to do with the other cats if that is the case that you have them.

I liked the idea of leaving him in his own room for awhile. When you first brought him home, did you isolate him for at least a week in his own room? This usually helps nervous kitties to acclimate to the new environment. 

You should also think about placement of the litter box. Maybe your other cats are guarding it at night and he can't get to it? The litter box should be in an open location. Try putting it in your room, since it appears he prefers the bed as a place to go.

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kumitekat!

I know it has been a while, but I still want to answer your question.

Yes, I have two other cats. It is very likely that you were right and he was nervous when he first got here.

They all get along pretty well now and I have four litter boxes. One for each, plus one.  He still goes outside of his box sometimes but not as much. And fortunately he hasn't peed on our bed again!

But Now I am dealing with my kitty Bella having seizures :( 

Please keep her in your prayers.

Thank you!

meemers94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah hehe. I am taking her today! :)
Hopefully everything will be okay.