Please Help Me Identify The Issue With Mr. Black

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there, fellow cat lovers,

I have recently stumbled upon a sudden change in my cat's body. The cat is happy and doing fine, likes to cuddle, purr, play, eat, drink, go to the toilet, although as I was playing with him, I noticed he's got something on his paw. I would really like to get to know what that is, does it happen alot, is it dangerous, should I go for operation, and is it truly necessary.

It is not painful for him. He is not scratching it, not licking, he doesn't get angry when I touch it.

I know that I should be going to the vet instead of posting this, but the vet's closed already and I have to wait for tommorow.

Mr. Black is a cute black cat with razor sharp claws. He likes to eat and chill out on the sun.

Also sorry for the quality of pictures.

Thanks

-Human

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! That could be something as simple as a cyst, especially since it doesn't seem to be bothering him - or at least not yet. It could be a non-cancerous tumor/growth, or a host of other things.

I don't think it is anything to panic over, but certainly get an appointment with the vet to have them take a look at it. Probably sooner than later, since I suspect his goes outdoors a lot (yes?) and could get into something that might puncture it or make it worse somehow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Feeby's Owner! :) Thank you so very much for your reply. I was certainly panicing. He doesn't go outdoors, I live with him and his brother in a flat. They sometimes fight over territory or just for fun. "The thing" could definitely get punctured but I have a little suspicion that it is an ingrown hair. I certainly don't want him to undergo a painful operation where they would cut it and I hope the body can deal with it on his own.

Also he doesn't like going to the vet (who does anyways) and it hurts my eyes seeing him scared.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't count on it going away on its own. And, I don't think ingrown hairs are common on cats, but you never know!! If it is just a cyst or even a non-cancerous growth, it would not likely require an operation. Yes, it might need to be opened up, but that is relatively painless with a simple superficial numbing solution.

If you are going to wait a while to see what happens, watch it closely and if it grows in size or starts to cause some discomfort for him, at that point the vet visit is going to be the best option for him/you.

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll be keeping an eye him.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow Mr black is deffinitly black, cant tell if that spot is on his elbows or near his wrists lol , are you able to get a closer picture of that ? Mr black is beautifull

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is as closest I can get with it being it quite clear to see. It does not seem to be getting bigger and he is not bothered by it, only I'm freaking out.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a cyst or fatty tumor. An abscess is very painful to the touch and has a much different appearance. Yours looks like a it has a 'warty' appearance. Observe it carefully and take him in if it gets bigger. It may even be a parasite growing under teh skin if it appeared suddenly. You could bring those pictures in to a vet or E-mail them to see without taking him in. Please post back when you find out what it is!

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So guys apparently there's pus inside. I would really like to skip the visit to the vet and open it myself for him. Is it a good idea? He probably has an ingrown hair or he stuck something in the skin.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may spread whatever is inside without knowing what it is. It could be a parasite. Please at least have the vet look at your pictures and then decide. ask them what to do and make sure everything is sterile.

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well... apparently it's not pus inside, but there's blood inside and the top of it is solid. I'll go visit the vet in a couple days... the cat is fine and plays with me...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost positive it is a benign lesion, take that picture in or have the vet look at it the next time his vaccinations are due.

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well... thanks... I thought that maybe he got stung by a bee or something...