Please help me identify possible breeds for my new cat! :)

What type of cat is he? (Select multiple if you see a mix?)

• American Shorthair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bengal

• Egyptian Mau

• Savannah

• LaPerm

• Ocicat

• Oriental

• Siberian

• Other

• Total voters

melissamay53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now, if you needed a dog identified, I am your girl. Cats, it a little more difficult. I just rescued this kitten and I want to know what breed he is so that I can take care of him best. What food, what medical history I should be aware of, what type of care (lots of play, not so much play) etc. Please help because he looks like 5 different breeds to me.

Attributes:

Loves biting my Great Dane Dog. He is VERY bold, VERY playful, VERY fast, and can jump VERY high for his age/size.

When I first got him, we went immediately to the pet store. I didn't even know how old he was. The guy guessed he was at least 12 weeks. I found out later that he was 7 weeks. I guess that means he is big for his age. I really don;t think he is that big, but he has a long body and BIG ears. He has stripped grey and black back with a creamy orange and black spotted belly with white feet and Face. He has Mongrel Tabby markings (I was able to google and figure that out) With dark stripes on his face. His nose and his paws are mixed between pink and black.

Here are some photos:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect he's a straightforward Domestic Shorthair. The colour would be Mackerel Tabby and White, I think.He's absolutely gorgeous :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: I just love his little bicoloured nose :love:

A vet visit should be a priority - its good practice with any rescue animal to get them checked out as soon as possible. The vet should be able to give you a more accurate age too. I hope for his sake he's nearer the 12 week mark - 7 weeks is very young to be leaving mom.

He should have good quality kitten food - as much as he wants. An easy way to achieve this is feed several wet meals and leave dry out for snacking on in between. Depending on his age, he might benefit from a little KMR or goat's milk too.

In terms of play etc, it's pretty much a case of letting him be the guide. His personality and energy levels are what dictate the amount of playtime he needs. There are far fewer differences between caring for different cat breeds than there are with dog breeds. I'm sure you'll do just fine :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect he's a straightforward Domestic Shorthair. The colour would be Mackerel Tabby and White, I think.He's absolutely gorgeous
I just love his little bicoloured nose

A vet visit should be a priority - its good practice with any rescue animal to get them checked out as soon as possible. The vet should be able to give you a more accurate age too. I hope for his sake he's nearer the 12 week mark - 7 weeks is very young to be leaving mom.

He should have good quality kitten food - as much as he wants. An easy way to achieve this is feed several wet meals and leave dry out for snacking on in between. Depending on his age, he might benefit from a little KMR or goat's milk too.

In terms of play etc, it's pretty much a case of letting him be the guide. His personality and energy levels are what dictate the amount of playtime he needs. There are far fewer differences between caring for different cat breeds than there are with dog breeds. I'm sure you'll do just fine
Domestic, yes, me thinks so too.  But he seems to be a spotted for real, and not just on the tummy like is common.   So he is a little unusual after all, not just sweet.   Spotted tabbies arent that common, although they do happen.

We would need a couple of  good photo  of his sides and from above, to decide for sure if he is spotted or broken mackeren whom seems to be spotted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

My three month old kitten Pepper and your kitten kinda look the same
Ya, but yours have visible stripes.   Although I dont see clearly WHAT sort of stripes.  Maybe so if we dont watch out, he may end up as a classic tabby.  Thus, a good photo from aside would be good.   :)