Please Help Me! Aggressive Cat!

Anxietyridden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help me guys, I'm literally a nervous wreck this morning. My 12 year old indoor cat, who is let's say 'isn't a people person' saw a cat right at the front door last night through the glass at 5.3pm. She went absolutely wild!!! She then proceeded to continually attack me really viciously throughout the following 5 hours! I love this cat so much, but had to lock myself in my bedroom as I was genuinely scared of her. The scratches are VERY deep and wouldn't stop bleeding. I've got up this morning after about an hour of sleep and she is still hissing at me and preparing to attack each time I speak, go on the phone, or walk by her. What can I do? Please please help me!

Naman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you try to make the cat playing with some toys and getting tired? I guess she has got lots of energy to waste. Also go to the vet and ask if the cat is having some problems. If too nervous they can prescribe medicines for making it calm. But mostly you need some kind of a cat trainer, you can check is there such a person around.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is called "Redirected Aggression." It happens when a cat is so overwhelmed and cannot get to the source of the anxiety, then turns on whoever is closest, and it is fairly common. This will give you some techniques to help with it, as well as more information about the reaction. YOU ARE NOT ALONE, and she will recover!

Cat Aggression Toward People General information
Re-directed Aggression In Cats THIS is the main one...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're glad you're here, and so sorry this happened. In the short term, if your cat is still worked up, as mentioned there's kitty Prozac from the vet or feliway diffusers as well as calming treats and collars.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 has unbeatable info for you, hang in there!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is she doing?

OH...I was so focused on the issue that I neglected to welcome you to TCS! I'm so glad that you found this site. You now have a community to help you, and are NOT alone! What is your cat's name? When you have a moment, head over to this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourselves.