PLEASE HELP! Kitten incision after spay...

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my 6 month old kitten got spayed on Monday (March 27) and yesterday, we went to the clinic to get a check-up. The doctor said she had already healed and he began poking and picking at her incision. This morning, she woke me up by continuously meowing and trying to lick her incision (she has had an e-cone on since we got her back from the clinic) and her incision now looks completely different than it did yesterday. Does this look normal? I'm so worried for my dear kitten as she seems to be in pain and the antibiotics the doctor gave us didn't do anything. I want to go to the vet first thing in the morning but if this is normal, I'll give it a few more days. BTW- the doctor said she has internal stitches and surgical glue (although apparently she licked it away the moment she woke up from the surgery?)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little girl! From the picture, it doesn't look inflamed but that doesn't mean that she isn't in pain. Did the vet give you any pain medication such as Metacam?  Is there a different vet at that office? It sounds like maybe he wasn't as gentle with her as he would want someone to be with him, if he had had a vasectomy.   Is she still crying?  Typically, my girls are feeling pretty good by the 2nd or 3rd day but my vet doesn't give them a collar so they don't have that stress - maybe each vet has their own method that they prefer to use.  It is awful to see them uncomfortable after surgery but it is much safer than risking having a litter.  I hope that someone comes along who can offer some better input than I have given you. ~ Susan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor little girl! From the picture, it doesn't look inflamed but that doesn't mean that she isn't in pain. Did the vet give you any pain medication such as Metacam?  Is there a different vet at that office? It sounds like maybe he wasn't as gentle with her as he would want someone to be with him, if he had had a vasectomy.   Is she still crying?  Typically, my girls are feeling pretty good by the 2nd or 3rd day but my vet doesn't give them a collar so they don't have that stress - maybe each vet has their own method that they prefer to use.  It is awful to see them uncomfortable after surgery but it is much safer than risking having a litter.  I hope that someone comes along who can offer some better input than I have given you. ~ Susan
Yes, but he said that we were only allowed to give Metacam to her 2 times for 2 days, and it is now the fourth/fifth day. Kisa didn't mind the e-cone at all, she only played with the string until I tucked it away. She's been pretty active though, I haven't been able to keep her still for the life of me! I tried keeping her in a carrier and in a small dog cage, yet she still finds a way to flip around and throw herself everywhere in such a little space so I have just been keeping her in my room (which currently only has a bed since we just moved). She's been jumping and attacking the walls when she gets bored of running around on the bed. She's been crying all day and only fell asleep about an hour ago, but she just jolted awake and began crying again and cuddling me. Do you think a visit to the vet is due? She is eating and drinking normally, although she hasn't gone to the bathroom in a day but the doctor said that is normal. I just want Kisa to be okay :'( seeing her in pain is killing me! I attached a picture of her from the first day when we had just gotten the cone on, she's pretty small for a kitten her age so even the smallest e-cone looked big and funny on her!

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take her back to the vet. It could be likely that the inner incision has dehisced. That can be very dangerous, allowing organs to fall through and possibly strangle. The other possibility is a seroma, which is something that will go away on its own. However, the fact that your cat seems preoccupied with it has me worried. Seromas aren't painful. Dehiscence is.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, you mentioned that she's been very active, so whatever is going on with her is due to her activity and not the vet inspecting the incision.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wait, looking at the picture I thought I saw a lump. The incision itself looks really good. Not red, infected, or draining yellow or green fluid.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so if there is a lump forming under the incision, or if the incision is red and inflamed, or starting to pull apart, or bleeding, or draining yellow or green fluid she needs to see a vet. Otherwise, she's fine. The cone is there because most animals will keep licking at their wounds until they open back up.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, my 6 month old kitten got spayed on Monday (March 27) and yesterday, we went to the clinic to get a check-up. The doctor said she had already healed and he began poking and picking at her incision. This morning, she woke me up by continuously meowing and trying to lick her incision (she has had an e-cone on since we got her back from the clinic) and her incision now looks completely different than it did yesterday. Does this look normal? I'm so worried for my dear kitten as she seems to be in pain and the antibiotics the doctor gave us didn't do anything. I want to go to the vet first thing in the morning but if this is normal, I'll give it a few more days. BTW- the doctor said she has internal stitches and surgical glue (although apparently she licked it away the moment she woke up from the surgery?)
I am a human doctor, not a vet and any advice that I give you about your cat should be checked by a vet.   I have looked carefully at your photo.  Bearing in mind that one cannot be accurate when diagnosing from photographs, there does not appear to be any major problems and, with all respects to @LiveLovePurr, I can see no evidence of any dehiscence nor any seroma.  The internal stitches seem to be holding the incision together and the stitches will dissolve in time.  However if you have any concerns about your cat, you should ask your veterinary surgeon.

Your vet is best the person to advise you, not members of this forum.

With all good wishes to you - and your cat,

Geoffrey

Last edited:

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with @Geoffrey. It looks good, I mistakenly assumed their was a mass underneath, but that's why pictures aren't always best. The best place to be is at the veterinary office if you ever have any concerns.

The advice we always give clients after a spay or neuter is to look for redness, swelling, bleeding, and purulent drainage. Those are all signs of infection.

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I completely agree with @Geoffrey. It looks good, I mistakenly assumed their was a mass underneath, but that's why pictures aren't always best. The best place to be is at the veterinary office if you ever have any concerns.

The advice we always give clients after a spay or neuter is to look for redness, swelling, bleeding, and purulent drainage. Those are all signs of infection.
There is actually quite a small lump under the incision which had me worried but I believe it's just scar tissue from the spay. I went to the vet and he said that she had gotten fur somehow in the incision (although I didn't see any) and that it happened most likely when my kitten was playing with my older cat- she likes to sit on her back. Otherwise, everything is okay and he sent me home with more antibiotics! Thank you! :)

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet and any advice that I give you about your cat should be checked by a vet.   I have looked carefully at your photo.  Bearing in mind that one cannot be accurate when diagnosing from photographs, there does not appear to be any major problems and, with all respects to @LiveLovePurr, I can see no evidence of any dehiscence nor any seroma.  The internal stitches seem to be holding the incision together and the stitches will dissolve in time.  However if you have any concerns about your cat, you should ask your veterinary surgeon.

Your vet is best the person to advise you, not members of this forum.

With all good wishes to you - and your cat,
Geoffrey
Thank you, although you aren't a vet, you helped me put my mind at ease until I was able to bring Kisa to the vet. Turns out there was some fur in her incision (I didn't notice it) which most likely was from her playing with my older cat and he just sent me home with more antibiotics and told me that I mistook her being extremely itchy for being in pain. :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A note on metacam it has killed cats. Please ask about a different pain killer if possible.

My vet doesn't prescribe metacam for cats anymore for this very reason.

kittykisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A note on metacam it has killed cats. Please ask about a different pain killer if possible.

My vet doesn't prescribe metacam for cats anymore for this very reason.
I've read about that but when I asked the vet, he said that wasn't true and that there's no other effective painkiller

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read about that but when I asked the vet, he said that wasn't true and that there's no other effective painkiller
Metacam is an NSAID. Most NSAIDs are dangerous to both cats and dogs, but especially cats. Metacam actually has caused issues in some cats, such as renal failure. Onsior is an NSAID that was created just for cats. It's only used for 3 days, but studies are actually currently being done on its safety for long term use too.

Why would your veterinarian use a drug that has the potential to cause problems when there is a safer option out there?

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Metacam is an NSAID. Most NSAIDs are dangerous to both cats and dogs, but especially cats. Metacam actually has caused issues in some cats, such as renal failure. Onsior is an NSAID that was created just for cats. It's only used for 3 days, but studies are actually currently being done on its safety for long term use too.

Why would your veterinarian use a drug that has the potential to cause problems when there is a safer option out there?
Totally agree with this. There's plenty of evidence that metacam kills. My vet refuses to use metacam on cats because it does make them sick. It messes up their kidneys and can put otherwise healthy animals into ireverseable kidney disease.

Have you heard of Onsior? It is a pain killer designed for cats.

Edit: just noticed you meantined it

But still please ask about it. It's super easy to give in a chewable tablet

Last edited: