Please help! I've done everything!

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm in a real panic and hoping to connect with someone online who may have had a SIMILAR situation and can help.

HISTORY: I have a 2 1/2 year old male, neutered cat. Only health issue has been a urinary blockage about 8 months ago, otherwise healthy. (I suspect gravy lovers food - as it was his only change). Since then healthy.

SAT 3/22 he went under the house while a technician was here.  I got him out with cat treats (by feeding him 4) and after 2 treats he usually throws up. So to no surprise, later he threw up a little.

Sunday morning:  He cannot jump over his cat gate, drooling,  acting drunk, affectionate, lethargic.  I get him to the ER vet.  All blood work is fine, no temp.  He was given anti nausea.  When he tried to walk, he leans to the right and circles left.  Did not want food or water/ given IV. Odor in his mouth.

Monday morning: Same condition, but less attentive - hunkering down and sleeping.  Vet gave him antibiotic (for mouth odor and ?)  and Valium, thinking this could be a non-stop seizure (due to his gate/walking) and more fluids.  No change except drooling stopped.

Tuesday morning:  More sleeping, zero activity. Given a steroid (that vets give for animals in shock/severe allergy) and iv solution.

Wednesday morning: No change.   I was told to try and feed him diluted food with water via syringe.  He doesn't seem to want to swallow, but with coaxing I get about 10ml of fluid down.  His mouth and chin seem sensitive but not overly.

Please offer help and suggestions. Thank you.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How awful.  The only things that come to mind are either neurological or poison but whatever the cause, i would imagine he needs a complete work up, 2nd opinions, imaging, full bloods, hospitalization, the works as it sounds life threatening and is clearly not diagnosed. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, he has had all of these things you suggested except seeing a neurologist.  He had full bloods, hospitalized, perfect labs, perfect temp, seen two vets...  Otherwise I am planning a trip to nero tomorrow.  I am so scared because he refuses to eat or  drink.

Please someone reply if you've had this or similar happen.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds nuerological to me too. Either a stroke or seizures( or a stroke that has caused seizures) that's what I myself had and have seen in animals too. You don't have to see any signs for a stroke and seizures (the majority) are not Grandmals but partials (no flopping around). So ther might not be anything you have seen but you might be seeing the side effects.

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So would a stroke or seizure keep him like this?  I mean, I know a stroke would... but a seizure?

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, would a 2 year old cat have a stroke? I know it is possible, but probable?

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes a 2 year old cat can have a stroke and seizures can be caused by one no matter the age. Seizures can cause lots of permanent side effects. I myself have some problems with memory due to seizures and so do others I have talked too. There are many different side effects that can happen. Its due to what part of the brain the stroke and seizures are from.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He went under the house while a technician was here...
Technician....?

What kind of technician? What was s/he doing ?

Were they using any sort of chemicals / compressed gas/air ?

How close to the technician's activity was the cat ?

Does he usually go outside...or did he "escape"?

Has he ever been 'under the house' before last Saturday ?

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your questions, my replies are in underline.

What kind of technician? What was s/he doing ?  It was my step dad, he was checking my HVAC handler under the house.

Were they using any sort of chemicals / compressed gas/air ?  None.

How close to the technician's activity was the cat ?  Cat was never near my step-dad.

Does he usually go outside...or did he "escape"?  Always outside/inside cat.

Has he ever been 'under the house' before last Saturday ? Never been under the house to my knowledge.   My first suspicion along with the vets was he consumed rat poison or another poison, but all blood levels (liver, kidney, etc.) were perfect, as is his temperature.

It's looking very much neurological to everyone and just wish he would bounce back.  It's been nearly 4 days.

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ilovemia - So if I understand you correctly, a seizure can leave a physical effect that lasts for days and days (perhaps forever)?  Is there any way to get the animal to recover from what the seizure did?  I have only known strokes to leave behind such effects and permanently (without rehab) as seen in older people.

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No xray...

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder why?  I'd ask them.  Is blood work the only thing they've done?  Any other tests?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

my replies are in underline......

It's looking very much neurological to everyone and just wish he would bounce back.  It's been nearly 4 days.
Thanks for addressing those issues !

If you're reasonably close to   UGA Veterinary Teaching Hospital    you might consider having him seen there - it might be the fastest route to a neurology consult. Most of these facilities also have funding available to supplement owners' financial resources.

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!  I have an appointment with a neuro tomorrow morning at 9am.  Someone else  mentioned what I understood as a seizure with permanent effects.  Cat was given valium in case he was having a seizure, but the vet indicated he'd get better if a seizure was the case.  Any thoughts?  I'd like to be a knowledgeable as possible regarding this.

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Xray was offered but other things were offered first due to costs.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'd definitely say more diagnostics are needed.  I sure hope you find some help with this.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry you are going through this, as well as kitty.

My first thought, poison. I'm wondering if there are poisons that can go undetected in bloodwork. I don't know the answer to this, but it REALLY does sound like that is the culprit.

My next thought is, if he somehow injured his neck/spine/head in some way, even nerve damage while going under the house, or while he was there, or coming out.

That's about all there is if her was perfectly fine before going under.

I think a neurologist might shed some light on his problem, please let us know when you hear what he thinks or sees.

If he doesn't recognize anything, he might want to do an ultrasound/x-rays of his spine areas as well.

agag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help.  I took Catness to the Neurologist today. 

To answer a previous question:  Originally an xray was "offered" at the ER vet but not suggested because there was zero sign of injury.

The Neuro said if it was poison, or injury it would be BAM!  BAD! then slowly get better/show improvement.  Catness has progressively gotten more withdrawn.

Today he had a spinal tap procedure, and we should know something by the afternoon.  I let him sun himself outside when we returned homw, and have him by his favorite window now.

I will report back soon.