Please help! Is my cat breathing okay?

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my 8 year old cat Marcy has been breathing like this sometimes when asleep/resting. She went to the vets a couple months ago for some x rays which all came back clear. She’s always has snored in her sleep but only started this noise early this year. She is a bit overweight which I’m trying to get down and doesn’t have any upper infection symptoms or any symptoms at all really
9 September 2022

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Perhaps nasal polyps? That’s what our vet suspected when our cat was breathing funny and was off her food a bit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had trouble making out the sound on your video, but it does sound a bit like something Feeby just started (18+yo). If it is the same, it is almost like a sort of soft moaning, for lack of a better way to describe it. It could be related to Marcy's snoring in some manner - what did the vet attribute the snoring to - a form of apnea?

Feeby does not have any of that, but she does have a leaky heart valve that may or may not be connected to this more recent 'moaning'. I have not pursued this new 'thing' with Feeby because she has so many other health issues that I have suspected this might have to do with one of them. She is overly tired, and I wonder if that might somehow tie to how well she sleeps, hence the moaning.

Nonetheless, an echocardiogram might be helpful to see any malfunctions in the heart. And, if the x-rays were not done of her head, to look for obstructions in her nasal passages, as mentioned above - as well as her throat, those might be other options to pursue.

Have you shared this video with the vet? That might be something else to consider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought it could be nasal polyps but she just doesn’t have any symptoms at all except for the breathing. I think if it it was nasal polyps she would be breathing like it all the time and not just sometimes as well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marcy had echocardiogram when she had her X-rays as they wanted to make sure she had no fluid around the heart, everything came back fine. The vet didn’t really say anything about the snoring after the X-rays so I’m guessing they aren’t concerned since the X-rays are clear. Maybe I’m just being silly but I just don’t like how it sounds