Please help immediately! My cat cat keeps gagging and refuses to eat or drink.

catrina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, lately I have noticed that my cat has been gagging almost as if she has a hairball. She has been gagging AT LEAST everyday and it was starting to concern me. Over the past few days I have noticed that she has not been eating or drinking. I even tried giving her tuna (her favorite food) but she still refused to eat it, she would only lick the water around it. Nor has she been using the litter box. I am getting very worried and she has also lost about 3 pounds and she barely even moves. She is about 9 years old so she's pretty old, do you think she's dying of old age? I also can't drive her to the vet because I am underage, and my parents just think it's a hairball lodged in her throat, but I do not think that's the case. Anything would help, thanks. (Please answer as soon as possible)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catrina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, by any chance do you know what's wrong with her?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catrina,

Tests need to be run in order to get a better idea. Symptoms like you have described can be due to any number of causes. The thing that worries me, though, is that you state your kitty hasn't eaten in a few days. If cats don't eat within 48 hours they run the risk of developing fatty liver disease. Please take her  to the vet ASAP, now if at all possible.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to find a way to get your kitty to the vet.  While 9 years old is considered a senior citizen in kitty years, it is not old enough to be dying of old age.  I have seen cats live into their 20's.  As mentioned above kitties can get really sick if they don't eat for a few days.  Please try to convince someone your kitty needs a vet before it's too late.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catrina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful replies. After reciting these answers to my parents I was able to convince them to take my cat to the vet in three hours. Also my cat has not been gagging as much, and she's been a bit more active. (I hope that's a good sign)

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is something wrong with your kitty. The not eating and drinking is dangerous. Please let us know how it goes at the vet. 9 yrs old is still young IMO.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is your cat ok?

ps...please tell your parents I said there is no such thing as "Just" a hairball lodged in her throat...or anywhere else

Last edited:

poppysmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you're getting your cat to a vet and let us know how she gets on. It's unlikely she's dying of just old age. Sounds to me like there could be a blockage somewhere which really needs dealt with urgently. Hope she is okay and it's nothing serious x:vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

she would only lick the water around it.
I  hope you were at the vet, and got suitable help. To survive and to health, or to end the sufferings.

It is / was highly necessary!

I just want to add for later readers.  If she licks, so she can apparently drink some.   In all such cases it is necessary to get them to drink. Preferably something nourishing, or a home made pedialyte. But even common water is better than nothing.   It is still an ASAP vet errand, but continuing to take in water and not being dehydrated so much, she wont crash, but can fight on several days till the help arrives.  Also, keep her warm and unstressed, but not hot.

Without  fluids the end will come fairly quickly but NOT mercilessly.

Good luck!.

Last edited: