Please Help! I'm Losing Hope And My Mind. Recurrent Fever, Wheezing, Lethargy, No Appetite

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, this is my second post about my cat Sur. I am a complete mess, financially and emotionally drained. Sur is at an internist hospital due to complete lethargy, no appetite, fever, open mouth breathing. To give a bit of a background:

1. Sur was diagnosed asthma about 6 months ago, and was put on Prednisolone (for about a month) which controlled his attacks.
2. I moved into a new apartment, he did not respond well and hid for a few weeks, coughing/asthma attacks returned... back on short term pred.
3. I got a new kitten to keep Sur company. The kitten had suspected FHV when he was rescued but had a clean bill of health
5. A week after the kitten (Noodles) and Sur met, Sur stopped eating, gagging/pawing at his mouth, off to the vet we went and he was given Clavamox, pain meds, nausea meds, and they discovered an ulcer on his tongue, suspected FHV or FCV. (October 13th) **he had a fever of +104
6. He slowly started eat eat more, less gagging, playing with Noodles after a few days, flash forward about a week, his asthma came back full force, I ordered Flovent/AeroKat inhaler and Albuterol. Vet thinks the prednisolone weakened his immune system making it hard for him to fight off the virus.
7. On 11/4 Sur stopped eating again, he was slightly open mouth breathing and I could hear him breath. He was hiding all day, would not eat and appeared lethargic. I took him to an animal hospital and he had a fever of 105.3. He was given a slew of antibiotics, fluids, pain meds and came home that night. The next day my normal vet rechecked, fever was gone and he appeared back to his normal self
8. Flash forward to yesterday 11/12. Sur has stopped eating again, open mouth breathing slightly (not panting), extremely lethargic, hiding for 48 hours. I called my vet and she recommended and internist because she was at a loss.. He had a 104.5 fever again. The internist wanted to do a bronchoscopy with a lavage and I declined due to the invasiveness and frequent complications with that procedure and animals with respiratory issues (asthma). She then recommend we hospitalize him, take more x-rays, nebulizer, IV fluids, appetite stimulant, in depth blood tests (all basic panels have been normal minus slightly elevated WBCs), and a test to check for specific virus's that could be causing this. ($2,900!!!)

Guys, I am losing hope, how could my perfectly health 2 year old big boy be this sick for this long!! I am out of money, and I cant keep taking him to the vet. Does anyone know what this could be? The internist is thinking it is asthma (X-rays do show asthma), coupled with some kind of other infection. Sur has never had any sneezing, congestion, or eye discharge. Only open mouth breathing. Can someone give me some hope?? could this be a prolonged Calcivirus? FIP? What could the new kitten have brought in?!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for you and poor Sur. Is he in the hospital now? It does sound like asthma complicated by some sort of infection. The fever could also be even more elevated due to dehydration, which would help explain why it comes down so quickly after they give him IV fluids. I can't offer any insight, but am hoping you find out something from the virus tests that will shed some light on possible treatments. Don't jump the gun on what exactly could be wrong until more is known about the test results.

If anything is identified, testing for the new kitten - at some point - might be in order.

As far as cost - would you possibly be able to set up a payment plan with the vet?

I am sure other members on this site will come along soon and offer you more productive advice. Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner he is in the hospital now. I just called to check up on him, and they gave him an appetite stimulant and he is eating a little bit, his fever went down to 103 last night, but was back up to 104 this morning. The vet should be calling me in a bit. Trying to hang in!

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another update: I picked him up from the internist today. So displeased with her!!! She sent him home with azithromycin, cerenia, and mirtazapam. She kept pushing the bronchoscopy, very hard. I told her I’m not doing that or considering it until his PCR comes back, as I suspect and my primary vet suspect calicivirus. She said “well I just don’t think he has a virus”

When I asked her why she wants to do the bronchoscopy she could not give me a direct answer. All she said was “I think it’s a problem with his lungs” he has moderate to severe asthma.

The most concerning part is she stated his fever was back up to 104 and was having a tech recheck... I asked the tech when she brought Sur to me what his temp was, she said 102.5....

I brought Sur Home and he ate 2 full cans of wetfood, has been exploring and following me around meowing, has used the litter box twice. So far so good, I know he has the appetite stimulant in him, but I’m hopeful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for the update. Not sure what to make of the internist. Let's see what the vet has to say with the PCR. When do you expect to hear about that?

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Internist said Thursday or Friday. His CBC was all normal, I forgot to mention that part. Waiting on the pathology part as well.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the internist can't read the temp right, I'd move on. If the internist can't give you a good, logical, sound, with evidence reason for the invasive, expensive and somewhat dangerous bronchoscopy, I'd move on. If she works for Banfeld or any other group that Mars Corporation bought, I'd move on.

But that's just me.

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, moving on after a $2400 vet bill, just waiting on Sur's PCR test results and some pathology labs to come back. Horrible experience with this internist recommended by my regular vet.

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just said it shows moderate to severe asthma/bronchitis.. which is what I already knew. My regular vet had taken Xray's last Monday and it showed the same thing.