Please Help I Think My Cat Has Been Overvaccinated For Fvrcp, Should I Worry?

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think some of you may remember Warrior. She is a stray we saved with my husband from Istanbul streets when she was still only 2 days old with her umbilical cord still attached. She has had her fair share of problems because of weaker immune system but has turned out a fairly healthy cat except she has frequent problems with her anal bags getting filled up and she has to have them squeezed every few months or so. Anyway fast forward to day, to my question, because this is a topic for another day.

She has been vaccinated as I see from her book for FVRCP shw received Fellocell CVR on 14/07/15 and then one more dose on 24/07/15

Then we brought her to where we currently live, to Slovenia, and she received on 24/07/16 another FVRCP vaccine then on 30/08/16 another - here understand they used this rule of vaccinating adult cat in a gap of one month right? So according to whats written online she shoudl have had 3 years pause from this last vaccination no?

But she has received another FVRCP this time Purevax on 29/08/17 and now we took her one more time on 16/08/18 again this time she has received Purewax.

As i understood online its written this:
CORE VACCINES:
  • FVRCP: Feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia. Given at 8, 12, and 16 weeks, at 1 year, then a booster vaccine every 3 years.
So hasnt she been over vaccinated? We are worrying here right now as to what to do? Because if she has been how vould veterinaries mix it up like this when they have her book with dates?

Can something wrong happen? And when shoupd we vaccinate again now?

Also she vomited today in morning, 3 days after her FVRCP vaccination, so thats why we are even more worried, so please advise me whos familiar with this, thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also they wrote her next vaccination on 16/08/19

I dont understand whats going on, we are worried

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I realy don't understand why so many vaccines either. Seems like way too many. Did they look at your book with all the dates, or not?

If she just vomited the one time, I wouldn't worry too much, unless she is also lethargic, not wanting to eat, etc.. Once could just be a coincidence. If more than once, then I would contact your Vet and discuss it with them. Also, I would definitely ask why she is due again next year when normally it's three years in between. Or perhaps you can ask them to run a titer test next time to see if she has enough antibodies from these vaccines that maybe she won't need another shot for several years.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of vets prefer to vaccinate yearly. This is what's printed on the vaccine label so they can do that (I'm not sure what's printed on the Purevax label). If you want it done every 3 years you can ask them to do that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some of you may remember Warrior. She is a stray we saved with my husband from Istanbul streets when she was still only 2 days old with her umbilical cord still attached. She has had her fair share of problems because of weaker immune system but has turned out a fairly healthy cat except she has frequent problems with her anal bags getting filled up and she has to have them squeezed every few months or so. Anyway fast forward to day, to my question, because this is a topic for another day.

She has been vaccinated as I see from her book for FVRCP shw received Fellocell CVR on 14/07/15 and then one more dose on 24/07/15

Then we brought her to where we currently live, to Slovenia, and she received on 24/07/16 another FVRCP vaccine then on 30/08/16 another - here understand they used this rule of vaccinating adult cat in a gap of one month right? So according to whats written online she shoudl have had 3 years pause from this last vaccination no?

But she has received another FVRCP this time Purevax on 29/08/17 and now we took her one more time on 16/08/18 again this time she has received Purewax.

As i understood online its written this:
CORE VACCINES:
  • FVRCP: Feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia. Given at 8, 12, and 16 weeks, at 1 year, then a booster vaccine every 3 years.
So hasnt she been over vaccinated? We are worrying here right now as to what to do? Because if she has been how vould veterinaries mix it up like this when they have her book with dates?

Can something wrong happen? And when shoupd we vaccinate again now?

Also she vomited today in morning, 3 days after her FVRCP vaccination, so thats why we are even more worried, so please advise me whos familiar with this, thank you
Are titering tests available where you're located? It's more expensive but tests antibody levels in their blood that will tell you and your vet if she needs a booster or not.
IMO few adult cats need boosters as much as they're given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xvampire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@mrsgreenjeens yes they did look the book and even I asked and they said something along the lines if she didnt have 3 times vaccination done then she needs it. They didn't bother to check more detailed though. Then later today I checked and with husband we saw all those dates and we got really angry because we felt like theyre doing sloppy work and endangering our cat. We are due for a FvRCP vaccination with another of our cats too so we for sure will ask this for Warrior. I just worry that if she's been over vaccinated if something bad can happen?

W Willowy @1 bruce 1
There is titer tests but as you said yourself they are expensive but we will consider this considering shes been over vaccinated in our opinion. Thank you both =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over vaccination does happen and sometimes there are issues and bad stuff (vaccinosis), but it's slow to progress and difficult to trace (to the vaccines) and difficult (sometimes impossible) to fully treat. With all these things in play, a lot of people don't believe that the vaccines can cause a problem, or make an existing problem worse.
I'm not an anti vaxer but I am an anti over vaxer and it bugs me when I hear of vets telling people that their house cats need yearly "shots". It's a good cash cow and a nice way to get cats in the door for a routine physical (where health problems can be detected early), but there are places we draw the line with this method....