Please Help! I Think I Injured My Cat's Tail

oliviam3ow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live with my mom and a cat.

30 minutes ago, my mom came home and my cat tried to run outside through the open door. My mom couldn't stop him because she was holding a huge heavy box. My cat slipped outside and all I could do was to grab him by his tail... (not from an angle; straight)

I think I grabbed it quite hard because I heard this popping sound from his tail. I am aware that cat's tail should never be pulled as it could cause serious health problems, but I had no choice.

I've been watching him while looking up the signs of a broken or fractured tail, but I can't get much out of it.

Here's what I am seeing as for my cat:

1. His tail moves like normal; it's not dragged down or bent; when I call him his tail goes straight up.

2. I touched his tail several times to see if I can find anything, and at about 10th time, he tried to attack me (He often does that when I bother him, so I don't know if he did that because he was annoyed or in pain.)

3. The base at his tail looks a little swollen and it is kinda HOT.

4. In regards to his behavior, he looks normal. He's running around and chasing his plastic toy at this moment.

I can't really tell he is in pain or not, or whether I hurt his tail or not...

If anyone has a similar experience or know anything about this please help me out. I love my cat to death and am so worried.

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oliviam3ow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw, he's 1.5 yr old domestic short hair. Went to vets for check ups 4 times since I adopted him at a shelter when he was 9 weeks old. He has been textbook healthy according to the vets.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You seem to be quite concerned about his tail. It probably would be best if you have a vet check it out. It could be painful for him, and the vet can give you meds for it.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ouch, poor kitty. That sounded painful! Please do take him to the vet, a popping sound could be many things, one of them being a dislocated tail or a broken tail. Even if your kitty doesn't show signs of pain, they can't speak English, obviously.

Let us know if you have any updates.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if it's swollen and hot, there is an injury...to what extent? who knows? It could be a sprain as when it "popped", some damage to the ligaments could have happen from the hard traction from being pulled, it could also be separated, which would include a sprain.
The fact that it moves well and is not just hanging there is a good sign that there is no nerve damage, but it's probably painful. I think a vet visit would be best to check for a fracture or dislocation, if not at least for some pain medications.

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go to the vet please! The internet can't help you here, only a vet is able to tell you if there is an injury and what to do in this case. I hope he recovers quickly and isn't in too much pain right now.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. A trip to the vet is needed.

I suspect the vet will be able to make an educated guess as to whether an xray is needed, or just pain and anti inflammatory meds are needed. If no xray is needed, the visit shouldn't be too expensive.

Cats are good at hiding pain, so their reaction to touching the injured area isnt always indicative of the extent of the injury.