Please help fast

michigan catman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i have a few outdoors cats, they wandered over here over the years and were slowly tamed.

NOW, i have had two die within days of each other, both of some unknown illness. They were fine up until a day before death, they then showed signs of runny noses and some "lazyness", but nothing different then when others have had a Upper Resp. infection. Well, the next morning they are dead or near death, with trouble breathing, loss of bowel control as fecal matter is hanging out of there behinds and total limpness. The one cats lips appered yellow/orangish.

HELP, i need an idea of what this is, i don't want to lose the other cats i have, i can't afford to take them all to the vet at once if they don't apper sick, but don't want to wait til one shows signs of the illness for it will be too late by then. Please give me some idea of what is going on

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone with some knowledge should be here soon, but it sounds as though you have very sick cats and should at least call your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michigan catman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the problem is they died or were so close to death that i would have taken a cropse to the vet and since the others have no syptoms i don't know what to do.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could they have been poisoned, either accidentally or deliberately? Sometimes a vaet can tell a lot by looking at the body, especially if there are colour changes to the lips/nose etc.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Michigan catman

Hi, i have a few outdoors cats, they wandered over here over the years and were slowly tamed.

NOW, i have had two die within days of each other, both of some unknown illness. They were fine up until a day before death, they then showed signs of runny noses and some "lazyness", but nothing different then when others have had a Upper Resp. infection. Well, the next morning they are dead or near death, with trouble breathing, loss of bowel control as fecal matter is hanging out of there behinds and total limpness. The one cats lips appered yellow/orangish.

HELP, i need an idea of what this is, i don't want to lose the other cats i have, i can't afford to take them all to the vet at once if they don't apper sick, but don't want to wait til one shows signs of the illness for it will be too late by then. Please give me some idea of what is going on
Does sound as if it were some sort of poisoning. If a cat eats a mouse that has ingested warfin or other rodent posion, it is very likely to die from it...and very quickly at that.
I hope you find the answer....we can only guess as to what it is. Maybe your vet can do a necropsy on one of the deceased cats to give you an answer.
Sorry my response is not of more help.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it might be distemper to me.If you have other cats I hope they have had their distemper shot.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like poisoning to me too. As other members have mentioned, unless you can have autopsies done on the cats who've died, there is no way to be certain what happened to these poor kitties. If that can't be done, call a local vet and describe the symptoms -see what they think.

You didn't say how many cats you have outdoors, but I strongly suggest if at all possible that you keep them confined - in your garage, basement, a large shed, etc.

Do you have neighbors who may not like the cats? If someone is not purposely poisoning them, the cats could be getting into something like anti-freeze, which has a sweet taste that animals like, but even in small amounts is fatal.