Please Help - Emergency Situation For Urethral Catheter

Nilothecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat infected by urinary blockage and had an emergency surgery about two months ago. They put an urethral catheter.

After a week, he pull his catheter out with his collar and rubbing his bottom to the ground.

He could pee for couple of days, but began dropping pee and finally get blocked again. His vet tried to put catheter again but because of infection they couldn’t. For weeks we squeeze his urine out ourselves.

After two weeks, he got another surgery, but he pull out his urethral catheter again with his collar. We also changed his collar size but it didn’t help.

Actually he is not my cat, and we try to help him and rescue him from his owners. He has eat renal food after his surgery.

I, personally think if urinary cath could be fix in place for 10 days, he is gonna be ok, but I don’t know how to fix that. (He pulled out his stitches too)

Please show me a way to prevent him to pull out his urethral cath.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, is he able to roam, either inside or both in and outside? Maybe keeping him contained to one room or even a big dog crate to limit his movements. But pulling the stitches too, the only thing I can think of would be a crate and maybe a different style collar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nilothecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, is he able to roam, either inside or both in and outside? Maybe keeping him contained to one room or even a big dog crate to limit his movements. But pulling the stitches too, the only thing I can think of would be a crate and maybe a different style collar?
Thank you for your response. He is roaming inside and just in my room. I am afraid that if I put him in a crate for two weeks make him depressed. But I will put him in his carrier box at night. Last time I tried a bigger collar, but he rubs his belly even more than before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nilothecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom...Have the vet fit him with a collar wide enough he cant reach his bottom? ... also confine to a crate/kennel limiting his movement will help.
Thank you for your response. I've tried a bigger collar, but maybe a wide one would be a better choice. I hope this time he gets better :(