please help ease my mind.

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
gizmo has had a bump on his chest for over 2 years. I took him to the vet as soon as I noticed it and that is was getting slightly bigger. it is not a large bump. the vet said it was like a pimple, ingrown hair type thing,  just white came out. She said as long as it is not bothering him that it is ok. Well that was back then. now the bump has a stiff hair or somehting in the middle and black scab for lack of better word. THe pictures do not show what it acually looks like so I did not post them. It is a hard bump and has not gotten any bigger just developed the black scab thing.. any Ideas, should I worry or take to another vet? It does not bother him at all. I am a first time cat LOVER mother. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

My cat gets moles believe it or not......she hasn't had any new ones in the last few years but has one next to her eye she scratches every year or so and it bleeds, not so good, then itches as it heals and reopens it.

She has a small one under her neck now, and had one on the back of her neck for years, that I forgot about and raked over a couple times causing it to scab over, etc.

Then the last time it just fell off and is fine and normal skin now. 

Vet told me back then, that when it's there for years and stays the same it's nothing to worry about.

My personal thoughts are, if it is on the outside of her skin, it's not a big deal. If a small lump feels like it's coming from the underside of the skin, then I'd watch it. 

There are cysts and tumors that will grow on the inside of the skin that can easily be removed if needed.

It's the bumps that are attached to the body and form a bump you can feel, then it's something to worry about.

You can tell if it's attached to the skin simply by moving the skin when feeling it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a mole. It started all pink. It had never bled. almost like its a blackhead. I'm so tempted to pull on the hair thing or try and pinch it like a pimple. I probably should not

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Krissy's moles started out pink too, but not that it is a mole.

Did the vet squeeze it?

It may very well be an ingrown hair. 

That's up to you to pluck the hair and/or squeeze it.

Not something I can or should advise of course.

I honestly wouldn't think it's anything to worry about. Really.

I get it though, I worry about everything with my girls :)

EDIT-so I've been browsing around, and while ingrown hairs on a cat are not all that common, they do occur.

Either plucking it or leaving it be, it will eventually resolve on it's own if that is what it is.

How old? Indoor/outdoor?

Last edited: