Please Help!! Does This Look Normal?

Lilahbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
My cat was just spayed on Tuesday, she’s been really good, hasn’t had diarrhea and she’s been eating and drinking her water, she’s been jumping in the bed a couple of times but for the most part she has been resting a lot. Today I noticed she has some swelling about the size of an olive so I called the vet and told her about this and she said it’s probably because she’s been jumping so she said to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then to take her in. I just wanted to see if any of you have had this happen with your cat :( I hope it goes away because I feel so sad for her, she hates getting on her carrier and I don’t wanna cause her any more trauma :’(

First two pictures were taken at around 3:30PM
The last one was taking at 9:50PM

Attachments

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely looks like something you should take her in for, that's definitely not normal. I'm not a vet, so I can't give any sort of diagnosis but it certainly looks infected.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet , that kind of swelling isn’t normal after a spay.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get it looked at. A little 'lumpy' area around the incision is normal but I don't think that is normal. It looks kind of like a hernia of some sort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilahbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will keep checking on her since the vet said to take her only if it gets bigger or worse, I just don’t wanna upset my cat since she hates getting in the carrier and going to the vet and she’s been through enough:( I also called about 3 different places just to be sure and they all said the same thing so I’m hoping it will go down on it’s own! I will keep you all updated ❤

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Chrissy had the same thing, it DID eventually go down on it's own and was the size of a marble. It is from the sutures inside, and the swelling, there may be a little fluid buildup too which will be reabsorbed. If there is any clear discharge mixed with a little blood, that is normal. If it turns cloudy and yellow or green, that is the time to notify the vet. I don't see any redness, feel the area and see if it is hot, it will feel warmer than usual because the area is shaved, but shouldn't be swollen and hot. Do as the vet advises and monitor, if it keeps swelling, call. If it was me, I'd bring in those pictures instead of the cat and see what they say, back to the vet that did the surgery. I'm not a vet, but have seen that before and it went away, so don't panic. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilahbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Chrissy had the same thing, it DID eventually go down on it's own and was the size of a marble. It is from the sutures inside, and the swelling, there may be a little fluid buildup too which will be reabsorbed. If there is any clear discharge mixed with a little blood, that is normal. If it turns cloudy and yellow or green, that is the time to notify the vet. I don't see any redness, feel the area and see if it is hot, it will feel warmer than usual because the area is shaved, but shouldn't be swollen and hot. Do as the vet advises and monitor, if it keeps swelling, call. If it was me, I'd bring in those pictures instead of the cat and see what they say, back to the vet that did the surgery. I'm not a vet, but have seen that before and it went away, so don't panic. Good luck!
Thank you so much!! It makes me feel so much better knowing my baby it’s not the only one! ❤❤