Please help! Cat won't stay off keyboard

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have the wrong forum but I have a question. New tortie will Not stay off my keyboard, I hold her, rub her , she gets out of my lap and trots right back across my keyboard. she is NOT hungry has a big brother and toys to play with but if I am on the computer all of a sudden she wants my complete undivided attention. She has hauled off my ink pin plus thrown  photos on the floor.now she is perched wi4th her pa2w on my hand (as you can see0 wanting to type..what to do??

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are famous for sprawling across keyboards for some reason. However some of your cat's insistence on helping you type might be because she wants attention. If you actively play with her, that might help fill some of that need. Interactive play is a great way to bond with your cat, too. Try a wand toy like Da Bird - most cats love this toy. They chase it and leap up in the air and have a fine old time. Finish a play session with a treat - playing activates the prey drive so you need to follow up with a "catch."

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a computer on a desk. My cat shows no interest in that darn table--until I want to use the computer. So I hear ya!
You might want to give up, push your monitor and keyboard over, and put a throw or towel down. My cat nests on my table and will leave me alone if I give him a little space...doesn't hurt that this way I can maintain eye contact, and pet him too. I have a lamp there so he's warm, engaged, and content.

But cats can be brats lol they really can be.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cover that we got at Best Buy. It's designed so that the keyboard and the monitor take up less space on the desk, but there's enough room to type while the keyboard is under it, and it prevents the kitties from walking across it (because it's tucked in). Maybe you could look into something like that?

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I really should try this LOL my cats love to lay on my laptop keyboard especially when I am watching a video or something. It wouldn't bother me except they hit all the keys and this causes the computer to open and close programs and sometimes they will even turn it off while I'm in the middle of using it.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Computers, books, newspapers.......

Anything that takes attention away from them, even for a few minutes. Greedy little cusses they are.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~puts nose in air~  Why,  my Hekitty would never think osdhae rgoietmrth ing across my keyboard!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Cats!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, as far as Lucky was concerned, my laptop was just an extension of my lap, which meant he could lay on it. I gave up trying after awhile. Or, would push the laptop out over my knees to make room for him. Because Lucky always got what he wanted, lol.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eclipse has been sitting on my laptop all week.  I don't know what he did but I no longer get emails from TCS.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two kittens who would try to play with my laptop in the days i used one. Now I use my phone. Any case I'd tuck each one under my arms and type like that.

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little off topic but I found my husband's magic keyboard on the floor this morning and the batteries strewn across the floor.  Guess the kids wanted something different to play with during the night.